How to make white-fish (pollock etc) taste good and still be low fat?

Options
localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
edited March 2019 in Food and Nutrition
White fish like pollock and kabeljou seem like a great low-calorie, high protein food. I've tried grilling/poaching with lemon, herbs and siracha but the blandness of the fish always comes though. It seems like shallow frying could be the only way to make it edible but I could do without the calories.

Any other tips?

Replies

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This is one of our favorite recipes - it calls for salmon, but we've done it frequently with Haddock or cod and I think I like it better that way bc the flavor of the crab comes out. You can use less mayo than it calls for to keep the fat low.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/lemon-butter-crab-stuffed-salmon-paleo-low-carb/

PS - I don't worry with rolling/folding the fish. I spread the crab mixture on top and bake it as is.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steaming the fish with fresh herbs? I know that works fairly well for tilapia (another bland white fish). You can do it properly with a steamer pot, or you can use a microwavable steamer or Ziplok's Zip'n'Steam bags.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If I'm not pan frying in browned butter this is one of my favorites. Not necessarily this recipe but similar ingredients. Veracruz:
    https://norecipes.com/fish-veracruz-recipe-pescado-veracruzana/
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to broil it with lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Use more spices if you're not tasting enough. You can never have enough garlic (intolerances aside).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I put a good hot sauce on everything, especially bland foods. Fish, chicken, etc. It makes it taste good without adding calories, and has the added advantage of causing me to drink more water.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bake topped with salt, tomatoes, feta, onions, artichoke hearts. Spice to taste.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've made little packets out of parchment paper, and dumped salsa on top of them. Then they take on the flavour of the salsa instead of just... nothing.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I like to bake my fish in a parchment pocket with fresh herbs and a little butter or olive oil. Quick, easy and almost nothing to clean.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Fish sauce and lemon.. pepper. Herbs
  • IM_in_training
    IM_in_training Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Panko!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Panko!

Panko rocks :smile:
    I mix panko, garlic salt, and black pepper, then throw it in a pan on the stove with a little oil and toast it. Then I squeeze some lemon juice over the fillets and press the toasted bread crumb mixture on top, then bake it in the oven. I found the fish doesn't need to cook for long enough to brown the breadcrumbs, so toasting them before hand helps.

I'll also vouch for salsa over the fish in a parchment bag!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Parchment (en papillote) with preserved lemon, onion, garlic, herbs, and a little bit of olive oil. I also season the fish it with black pepper and go pretty light on the salt given how much salt is in preserved lemons.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I did it with a miso glaze last night. I should've probably marinated it overnight. The basic recipe is 2 part sake, 2 parts mirin, 2 parts miso and 1 part sugar (maybe use less). I'm going to play around with the recipe a little bit. I think it needs some acidity so maybe add a bit of vinegar.

You can also try it with teriyaki sauce.

I also like it with homemade salsa. My recipe is super simple. I just blanch roma tomatoes and onion, then blend them. Add salt to taste.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone, so much to try!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Well, if you like poaching fish in wine, here's some advice around 2:05 in this clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHAMjsNMQLo

hope you find it helpful
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sweet gourmet mustard (murphysmustard.com) topped with Panko crumbs and seasonings, sprayed with a bit of nonstick spray and baked.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Or fish curry

Onions, courgettes, good dollop of curry sauce (we use Pataks korma for fish curry), ginger - cook away til veggies nearly dond and add fish to the pan right towards the end to gently cook thru and break up into large pieces . You can add yoghurt to the sauce to make it ‘creamier’.

I use coley fish for this but any white fish would work.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Or just eat a fish you like the flavor of.
  • DanOutdoors
    DanOutdoors Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I oven bake it with butter, garlic and herbs