Some help with protein and calories please.

Options
Hi im very new to counting calories and really have no idea how this all works.Ive read my daily minimum should be 1200 cal and i do sometimes struggle to get that in though other times i totally blow it. Im not too fussed to be honest i figure it all evens itself out.
But i am wandering I am mostly always over in the protein department....I am currently on a proetein shake to help with the weight loss and because im busy so its easier sometimes to grab a shake rather than starve myself when on the go and if im here at home ill eat something protein rather than carbs because im wanting to loose weight. How does that influence weight loss and the grand scheme of it all?

Replies

• Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    just set your settings at 30-40 % of protein
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Protein helps with the repair of your muscles and is a great meal replacement when you're on the go. I'm currently only having a protein shake for breakfast and lunch (nothing else). If you're not over stuffing yourself and are getting adequate nutrition (vitamins if not from whole foods) then you're not really doing anything to hurt yourself.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    25-30% protein is ideal for a woman on a calorie deficit diet (which is what you're on with MFP). 30-40% is high especially if you're just starting out. I struggle to get 25% everyday but my base is 1380 and I also eat most of my exercise calories. Higher protein is better for when you're trying to lose the last 15 or less pounds or for someone who just doesn't do well with carbs.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Protein is definitely a good source for weight loss - your body burns 30% of it processing it, whereas it only burns ~5% of fat, etc, Not all calories are equal. :) MFP has a very low default protein minimum, you can change it to something that suits you. For example, someone trying to build muscle should eat 1 gram of protein or more per lb of body weight - which is a whopping 100g plus more than what MFP is recommending for me (though I am not trying to build muscle right now). Going over your protein limit is no bad thing!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Besides, your body can really absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting so it's really how much of the shake you're drinking that you need to worry about if you're worried about the calories. Protein shakes normally only contain good carbs and fat so I wouldn't worry about them being "bad"
  • MomofMurphy
    Options
    I think it all depends and it's up to you to watch what works for you. I am always over on protein too, but I don't care - I am exercising a lot and think that the protein helps with building muscle. I'd rather have more good protein than too many carbs or too much sugar. I also don't think 1,200 calories is the magic number - why is it that every single person I know, all shapes and sizes that use this site all have 1,200 calories? Anyway, I think the important thing is to pay attention and make the best choices for yourself - and see how you feel and how it impacts your progress.
  • loveusa
    loveusa Posts: 37
    Options
    You could always have nuts, or other healthy high fat foods instead of carbs. You needn't always substitute protein for the carbs. I'm not sure if you are worried about overdoing the protein, but if you are, then nuts are the way to go.
  • shadowsz
    shadowsz Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I do often eat a trail kind of mix that I get from aldi at night when i get the munchies or during the day as i do notice simple carbs make me jittery (I have CFS) and crash energy wise.In answer to the person asking about the 1200 cal limit..thats just the basic amount this site has as its recommendation
    to women trying to loose weight so i guess thats why you see it quoted alot :)