Calorie adjustment

Options
According to my Fitbit my workout this morning burned 476 calories has transferred into My Fitness Pal tracker calories adjustment is only about half the amount. Any ideas?? Thanks

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The adjustment you see is what Fitbit is telling mfp you burned - what mfp expected you to have burned at that time so if mfp think by 9am you will have burned X calories and your more active/do a workout you will get a adjustment upward of the calorie difference
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    According to my Fitbit my workout this morning burned 476 calories has transferred into My Fitness Pal tracker calories adjustment is only about half the amount. Any ideas?? Thanks

The calorie burn you see for a workout on Fitbit includes your BMR.

For example, I burned 187 calories during a 60 minute workout this morning. Maybe ~140 of it was from the actual workout and the other 47 is what I would have burned for the hour if I had just been lying in bed. MFP already includes your estimated BMR in their own calculations and that's why your adjustment isn't going to reflect the actual burn you see for the workout on Fitbit.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Fitbit will give you an adjustment for any calories beyond those accounted for in your activity level. Your daily activities should continue to give you a bigger adjustment, now. Unless you spend the rest of the day motionless. If you have negative adjustments enabled, you may see some of them taken away if you don't live up to the activity level you set with MFP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

FitBit doesn't transfer "exercise" calories to MFP. Fitbit will give you a calorie adjustment in MFP to reconcile the difference between your actual activity per Fitbit with whatever activity level you set in MFP. Basically, your adjustment means that about 1/2 of those exercise calories were already included in your activity level. You should get adjustments throughout the day when Fitbit syncs...could also get a negative adjustment which happens when you do a bunch of activity and Fitbit assumes you will keep that level up, but then you go home and watch tv for several hours.
  • kaarmitage
    kaarmitage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Because I'm short and my calories get capped by myfitnesspal at 1200, despite me setting my profile as 'sedentary' I only get a positive calorie adjustment of about 50 for walking 14000 steps a day. But it's probably about right. So it's basically telling me I probably need to burn about 1000 calories a day in exercise on top of only eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight at any decent pace. Now feeling dejected and wishing I was taller.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

You only get calories added that are above what MFP thought you would burn for the day.

Your adjustment is telling you that while you may have burned 476 during the workout only about half of that is actually extra calories earned.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kaarmitage wrote: »
    Because I'm short and my calories get capped by myfitnesspal at 1200, despite me setting my profile as 'sedentary' I only get a positive calorie adjustment of about 50 for walking 14000 steps a day. But it's probably about right. So it's basically telling me I probably need to burn about 1000 calories a day in exercise on top of only eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight at any decent pace. Now feeling dejected and wishing I was taller.

That's not at all what it's telling you.

The 1200 is ALREADY less than you burn to cause weight loss, no exercise expected by MFP.

If you are only getting an adjustment of 50, then you have an issue with syncing to not see more out of the 14K steps - or you are basically not moving a huge part of the day outside those steps being concentrated into small time period.
    That is not probably right at all - that is messed up.

Your idea of decent pace may not be realistic if you are very short, under 5', or unreasonable if not really that much to lose.
    Decent for short is going to be different than decent for tall, sadly the way it is.

You should click on that Calorie Adjustment to see the details - the time of the sync may be way off, the calories may be incorrect from the device, ect.

What account/device are you syncing with?
  • carriediamond00
    carriediamond00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Makes perfect sense :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Your only getting an adjustment for activity that goes beyond your MFP activity level, not your workout. Your activity level already assumes some of those calories.