Extreme Fatigue on One Side

Options
I started lifting heavy again about three weeks ago. I've been doing strength stuff, but haven't lifted heavy weights for at least one year (maybe six months more than that).

I've been really motivated and really enjoying the challenge, but my ability to lift heavily has declined a ton. The word "heavy" means pretty pathetic weights for things like squat and bench.

Anyway, the issue is that I am SO FATIGUED on my right side (I can feel it where my arm meets my shoulder, just above the armpit, and behind that spot with my back muscles) that my lifting is getting hilarious. I could seriously military press 40 pounds on my left side and struggly horribly to do 20 lbs. on the other.

Anyone had this happen before? Would you folks recommend that I stop lifting altogether (with my upper body) until it feels more back to normal? Keep pushing through with pathetic weight (which is what I am inclined to do)?

Thanks for reading and for any feedback I may receive.

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Really? Just for fatigue? I don't have extreme pain or lack of mobility... it just won't hold the weight it was holding last week and the week before.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I would look I to your load management within your programming.

While we can recover from more frequency and volume of pressing movements involving the arms we still need regulation.

The key is within your programming more than likely. Dissecting and reviewing training history might give a direction as well.

If your really concerned see a Dr, though that visit isn't usually full of answers, but it might rule out some possibilities.
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Repeated heavy lifting over long periods of time will do that. Just a reminder; Don’t focus on the amount of weight you lift but the isolation and contraction of the muscles being worked.
    I been there myself. Yes it has been ruff on the ego but I learned to lift lighter while isolating and contracting the muscle being worked.
    Your body don’t know how much weight you’re lifting, just how much it’s being forced to put out. I’ve had much better workouts using lighter weights, using good movements, while isolating and using maximum contraction of the muscle. It’s so much easier to control with lighter weights. Then every 3rd or 4th week or so go heavy to satisfy the need otherwise you may risk wear or injury.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I appreciate all of the feedback. It hasn't improved and I will be seeing my physician. It still doesn't hurt, but is really weak and can't put forth much effort.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the feedback. It hasn't improved and I will be seeing my physician. It still doesn't hurt, but is really weak and can't put forth much effort.

I know you're in the Boise area. Look up Dr. Kaleb Redden (sports medicine). He's awesome.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

I know you're in the Boise area. Look up Dr. Kaleb Redden (sports medicine). He's awesome.

How'd you know that?!

I wound up giving it a couple of weeks completely off. When I reincorporated moves that emphasized the shoulder, I went hilariously low weight until things started feeling good again. I'm actually glad that I returned to using it, but with much lower weight.

Thanks to all for the assist!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

How'd you know that?!

I wound up giving it a couple of weeks completely off. When I reincorporated moves that emphasized the shoulder, I went hilariously low weight until things started feeling good again. I'm actually glad that I returned to using it, but with much lower weight.

Thanks to all for the assist!

It's listed in your profile information.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!