8.6 lbs in a week?

Options
Libby283
Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible to gain 8.6 lbs in a week?

Last Friday morning I was 167.8. This morning I was 176.4.

The only difference is I had a few beers for St.patricks day and I started exercising. Not much.. At most 30 minutes a day on the elliptical or bicycle. The scale is not moving down with just diet alone. I did log the beer.

I did have blood work last week and the doctor says everything is normal, so I have no medical reason to be gaining wait rapidly.

I am doing a 1200 calorie diet and not eating back my exercise calories. I weigh food.

My goal is to get back to my April 2016 weight of 128.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The beers were logged...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It is possible. I gained a hair more than that last week and for me it was all water weight. 6 of it is already gone and the rest will go soon. Last week I was unable to eat normally (I ate out much more than normal - higher sodium) and it was high stress.

It is very unlikely you need to follow a 1200 calorie diet with exercise. Losing too fast can have long term health consequences. Put your stats in MFP and eat the suggested number of calories plus a portion of your exercise calories.

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    how long have you been eating 1200?
    how tall are you?
    do you use a food scale for all foods?
    what was your initial starting weight (and when was that) and what is your current weight)?

it's highly unlikely you gained nearly that much, likely water weight blip. starting exercise will cause muscles to retain water to repair themselves often.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It could be an anomaly, there could be something wrong with your scale, it could be a lot of things, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to go up. In that case, re-evaluate your diet, you might be eating more than you think.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You didn't eat 30,000 calories over maintence. So you didn't gain 8.6 pounds of fat. That is a pretty large one week gain for water weight, but it is possible. Are you constipated or backed up at all? I imagine most of that weight should be off within the next week.

On another note, eating 1200 calories without eating back your exercise calories is too low. You need to be eating them back.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It's water weight from the beer and the sudden increase in exercise. Exercise water weight can hang around for a few weeks.