How to tell people I'm not joining the step challenge

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who say just join the challenge, not change anything you're doing and take the opportunity to cheer on the participants who are getting more steps than you.

On another note, depending on the competitiveness of your coworkers, be prepared to referee complaints that people are cheating (by counting cycling steps, running in place, having a family member wear it etc.) This stuff all came up when I participated in a step challange at work once, and there wasn't even prize money involved :o
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    Ok I guess y'all didn't catch my mild sarcasm in my original post. Mostly, I'm dealing with older ladies and I don't even want to mention weight lifting because even my own mother scoffs at weight lifting because it isn't a "lady-like" thing to do and I'll get "too muscular". (I am not muscular at all). Basically I want a light-hearted joking way to say thanks but no thanks. Even if it's a lie. Gimme a cute line to say!

Tell ‘em you have a bum knee you messed up when you were younger and you have to limit your walking or it will swell up like a cantaloupe but that they are so lucky to get to participate!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'd go with you are organizing the challenge so it's not a good idea to be a competitor.

Kind of like "It's hard to run the circus when you have to play the clown."
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Basically I want a light-hearted joking way to say thanks but no thanks. Even if it's a lie. Gimme a cute line to say!

What about "My cold dead heart does not really need the exercise"

This just might be the ticket. Thank you!
  • TarahByte
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Ok I guess y'all didn't catch my mild sarcasm in my original post. Mostly, I'm dealing with older ladies and I don't even want to mention weight lifting because even my own mother scoffs at weight lifting because it isn't a "lady-like" thing to do and I'll get "too muscular". (I am not muscular at all). Basically I want a light-hearted joking way to say thanks but no thanks. Even if it's a lie. Gimme a cute line to say!

Tell ‘em you have a bum knee you messed up when you were younger and you have to limit your walking or it will swell up like a cantaloupe but that they are so lucky to get to participate!

Ok that's actually not wrong! I do often complain of my geriatric knees. I bought glucosamine earlier this week. It's believable!
  • TarahByte
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I agree with the posters who say just join the challenge, not change anything you're doing and take the opportunity to cheer on the participants who are getting more steps than you.

On another note, depending on the competitiveness of your coworkers, be prepared to referee complaints that people are cheating (by counting cycling steps, running in place, having a family member wear it etc.) This stuff all came up when I participated in a step challange at work once, and there wasn't even prize money involved :o

Jeez that sounds terrible. This is another reason I don't want to join. That and I don't want to be obligated to send screen shots of my steps every day. Also, I'm poor and that money can go toward dog food. Big dogs ain't cheap! Plus I've already made the joke about putting the pedometer on your dog's collar.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Ok that's actually not wrong! I do often complain of my geriatric knees. It's believable!

This is legit me now. Bum knee, it’s been swollen most of the winter. It hurts when I lift, it hurts when I cycle, but it hurts AND swells from walking! I was convinced I was pushing too hard with my lower body workouts, but when I stopped walking and started driving to work - knee is better. Doctor’s appointment on Monday!

Sorry for getting off topic!

I personally like the cold dead heart comment; I wish I could come up with reasons like that!
  • TarahByte
    Options
    rosiorama wrote: »

Ok that's actually not wrong! I do often complain of my geriatric knees. It's believable!

This is legit me now. Bum knee, it’s been swollen most of the winter. It hurts when I lift, it hurts when I cycle, but it hurts AND swells from walking! I was convinced I was pushing too hard with my lower body workouts, but when I stopped walking and started driving to work - knee is better. Doctor’s appointment on Monday!

Sorry for getting off topic!

I personally like the cold dead heart comment; I wish I could come up with reasons like that!

Yeah I hadn't had very many problems with my knees lately until last week when my boxer was at the vet having teeth removed. She was put under sedation and I waited with her until she woke up and probably took her home too early because I had to carry her to and from the car. Mind you, I'm a 4'11 midget.
  • TarahByte
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    "My bionic knees/hips are leased and if I go over 4,000 steps a day, I have to pay extra."

We have the same picture. We're cool.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    "My focus needs to be on making sure everyone else has a great challenge!"

Definitely this.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Give people a choice - do that step challenge for the not so fit and something else, which you also would enjoy as an alternative. People are getting used to options and choices again despite our politicians' and leaders' best efforts.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Eh - my grandmother, who is in her mid 80s, does very light weight lifting once or twice a week. My mom is in her mid 60s (which I wouldn't consider especially old but I know others do) and I'm pretty sure she does the same. And no, I'm almost positive she didn't get the idea or attitude from her mom.

I do think that your being on the living well committee while also choosing not to take part in the step challenge is potentially hypocritical. It is kind of coming off as, "You all should do this because you need to but I clearly don't." Also drop the idea of "skinny fat". A. it's not a thing and b. you can both walk (or do various cardio heavy activities) and do strength training. They aren't somehow mutually exclusive. Also even if you don't up your steps, or only do so minimally, is that really so bad? What's the worst that could happen?

Obviously it's up to you as to whether or not you choose to do the challenge, but be prepared for people wondering why you're on the committee and choosing not to take your own advice.

(also no, I didn't catch your sarcasm, but I admatitly am bad at doing so on the internet with people who I haven't interacted with or whose posts I haven't seen a lot of)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Being blunt with people is not a problem. Tell them straight up that your fitness objectives don't include a lot of cardio and leave it at that.

I don't think that's blunt at all. But then I grew up on the east coast.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    "It wouldn't be fair to the rest of you" :tongue: