If you only had 30 minutes 3 times a week?

Options
Would you use that time to strength train or do cardio?

Replies

• Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Strength
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends on my goals, but both.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would do full body strength 2 days and cardio 1.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For my goals, I would strength train
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'd split it up!! Do some intervals!!! Cardio strength agility .....but I like a mix!!! It all depends on your goals and what you like!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would strength train, and then find creative ways to get more walking into my day in short bursts to get some unintentional cardio.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Strength... but I'm biased. It really does depend on your goals. I don't usually recommend circuits - but in this case it might be a good compromise.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options
    Both.. alernate days. Cardio one. Strength the next..
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me = cardio 1x - strength 2x.

For someone else it could be different.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,716 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy the most, because that's the best route to life change that sticks.

Preference being equal, strength training or a mix.

Note that some cardio is more encouraging of strength than others: I mostly row (on water when I can, machine when I must), rarely strength train consistently (even though I think it would be better if I did), and am not completely lacking in muscle, despite being female and pretty old (63).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Cardio, because it's more fun. I mean screaming down a hill on a bike enjoying some hairpin turns vs picking things up and putting them back where you found them. It's kind of like skiing if I'd rather have iced cream or raw kale. Besides, be it takes 30 minutes just to get to and from the gym, and find parking.

Personally, I'm really glad it doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Cardio because I enjoy it more. I would hate to waste what little time I have on something I don't enjoy.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Find a sport you enjoy. And you may find extra time to train for it. Otherwise combine strength and cardio with circuit training.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, so if I had to chose I would run. But maybe you could compromise. How about two days of one and one day of the other and just do your favorite on two of the days?
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could get in pretty decent shape with that schedule. I would go after HIIT routines that involve weights. Gotta get that heart rate up for the full 30, and tax your muscles to get some growth/replacement going on. I like the workouts by HASfit on Youtube, search their stuff for "30". There are lots of plans around the web for 30 minutes/3 times per week HIIT, grab any that fits your equipment and such.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Could be tricky / unproductive to try and do Cardio in 30mins, if you’re doing a 10min warm up and cool down, possibly doing some stretching too, that only leaves max 10mins of effort level workout. But it depends wholly what level you’re at and what your goals are. Just don’t sacrifice a solid warm up and cooldown just because you’re rushed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Strength training has too many benefits including cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I'm a cycling enthusiast who lifts primarily for cross training and to help maintain muscle mass while I age. I would likely go with 2 days of cycling and one day full body workout in the weight room. If I was that limited for time, going to the gym wouldn't be a priority because it would take me at least 15 minutes to commute there and back; so in reality I've used up an hour.

One thing I do regularly is get up from my desk every hour to take the scenic route to the bath room and water cooler...I work on the 3rd floor, but I usually use the restroom and break room on the first floor to get more general movement in. I do this regardless of how my exercise is going, but it is particularly helpful on those weeks when I know I'm not going to get my usual time in for exercise.

Another option here would be circuit training which would give you sort of a combo of resistance training and cardio.

I'm just curious though...what do you do that you can't find 30 minutes most days? I'm pretty busy and typically work 10 hours per day including my commute and have two little boys, a wife, and home to take care of and I can usually manage to find the time most days for 30 minutes. When I can't it's usually more of a "I just don't feel like doing it because I'm tired or whatever" kind of thing. My time is pretty limited, so I limit my actual gym time to 2x per week at lunch...the rest of my exercise is just opening up my garage and getting on my bike and hitting the road for whatever amount of time I have available...during the work week that usually amounts to about 30 minutes, sometimes 45. I try to get in longer rides on the weekends.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The one you enjoy the most, because that's the best route to life change that sticks.

Preference being equal, strength training or a mix.

Note that some cardio is more encouraging of strength than others: I mostly row (on water when I can, machine when I must), rarely strength train consistently (even though I think it would be better if I did), and am not completely lacking in muscle, despite being female and pretty old (63).
    You're younger than my mom and thus not pretty old in my book :p My opinion might change once you hit your 70s - though there's still someone in my rowing club who apparently has over a million meters on her C2 at the moment and is 73 I want to say (and around 5 feet tall). Things that one can do when retired - Netflix and row.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My 3x per week workouts take a bit longer than 30mins with warm up and stretching, but no more than 45. I do a full body strength routine (Nia Shanks) and then 5-10 minutes of “metabolic conditioning”. It’s quick, fun, makes me feel great, and I’m seeing real progress in my strength and general fitness.
    I do stay active on other days, mostly walking the dogs, but I consider that more general life than a workout.