Dad Bod..Men over 40 HELP

Options
jaredarseneault1010
jaredarseneault1010 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, I just started with the Pal app, and so far I'm digging it. It not only forces you to think about what you put in your mouth, but I now look at my daily diary as if it's a picture I'm drawing. At the end of the day do I want to see a work of art? Or would I rather it look like a useless piece of crap?
I'm 38yrs old, 5'7", and started out at 205lbs. Definitely not a healthy weight for my body size, but my belly size is what really forced me to start changing some stuff up.
Basically I'm here looking for tips from some of the other guys out there who are over 40 or close to it, or have tried to loose belly fat at our age. Have any of you managed to make that happen? And if so, what are you eating? Macros? Are you fasting, or doing Keto, or just cutting carbs? So far I've lost 6lbs in about a week, but I'm finding what I'm eating to be very boring. Small salads with no topping whatsoever. I've 100% given up Sugar, Dairy, and Grain. And my goals with the Pal are 10%Carbs, 30%Fats, 60%Protein. Any tips I could use in changing that around? I would like to try the 16hr daily fasting, however I notice that close to the 12hr mark I'm getting slightly dizzy, and have no energy. Maybe that's just all the crap leaving me that I've put in over the years.
Appreciate any advice or help.
(OH! And my go to No BS snack seems to be Dill Pickles...Is this a good thing)

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Early 50s male here... like the guys above, I just cut calories per the app's suggestion, started walking more, and the weight has been coming off steadily--for me that means 31 pounds in 25 weeks, so far. I pay attention to it all--calories and macros and micros. I eat a varied diet that is about 50% carbs (complex nutritious carbs) with the other two macros split evenly. I cut refined carbs and booze a lot, mostly, but if a cookie or a stout fits my calories for the day I'll have it.

The one time before when I tried to lose weight, I was on an extreme vegan diet that also forbade a lot of basic foods (like oil and coffee... I mean, no olive oil at all, or any coffee, even black... crazy!)... I did that extreme kind of restriction for 12 weeks, lost about one pound or less a week, and was so resentful of all the restrictions that when I fell off the plan I regained all my weight and then some.

For me, the way I'm doing MFP (eat real food, mostly plants, not too much) works. I'm an omnivore and don't cut anything out entirely. But you have to find what works for you. I have friends who are doing what I call Carnivore Keto, and swear by it, and claim it helps their satiety, and I say, well good for them. Personally, if I get a little hungry I have found that a brisk walk can go far to dampen my cravings. But maybe that is just me.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    And my goals with the Pal are 10%Carbs, 30%Fats, 60%Protein. Any tips I could use in changing that around? I would like to try the 16hr daily fasting, however I notice that close to the 12hr mark I'm getting slightly dizzy, and have no energy. Maybe that's just all the crap leaving me that I've put in over the years.
    Appreciate any advice or help.
    (OH! And my go to No BS snack seems to be Dill Pickles...Is this a good thing)

I'm 64. Have lost about 50 lbs. so far. I've done keto and intermittent fasting. The one thing I learned from IF is what actual hunger feels like. I remember that when I am tempted to eat when I am bored or anxious, instead of actually needing some food. Now I've gone back to a more regular diet. When I lift in the mornings, I eat a meal soon afterwards. Other days, I eat when I'm hungry or when it fits into my irregular work schedule.

I'm aiming for 35% carbs/35% fat/30% protein right now. I concentrate on protein - I often go a little over on fats - and fill in with carbs. I would find it difficult to eat 60% protein. Are you able to eat that much protein every day?

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    If I have one bit of advise it is to not jump head first into some boring and restrictive "diet" or you will fail. If you stay active and burn more calories than you eat, you will have success. It truly is that simple.

Pretty much this ^^^

50 years old here, and as others have said, age is relative. Genetics plays a factor obviously, but calories in, calories out is really what it's all about.

I too don't like the idea of being restrictive on diet perse, I prefer more of a "replacement" way of thinking. Instead of cutting out "X", I replace it with "Y"..

Your Macros seem a bit off to me. I myself don't focus too much on macros, but when I'm cutting, I eat under 100 carbs a day, get about 150+ gm of protein a day, and eat approx. 1800 cal worth of food, after adding %60 or my earned workout calories. That's just me mind you. You may respond differently, to a different approach.

Maybe check out this Macro Calendar: https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

Best of luck to you..
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't cut food you like, that is a short cut to binging.

Carbs are not the enemy, unless you know they are YOUR enemy.

Personally I go for "healthy" food from my daily allowance then any exercise calories are for use on "unhealthy" but delicious food.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    11Templars wrote: »

Maybe check out this Macro Calendar: https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

Thanks for the link! I found it very useful.

• mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My dad has a body like the musician Prince all his life. He practices a balanced eating style and eats only one main meal a day. The rest is coffee with a splash of cream and pieces of fruit to snack on until afternoon/evening time comes again.
    Actually, when I put on about 15 pounds over the course of 2 years after I transitioned into a new career, it was following my dad's bod fitness regimen that helped me shed the weight in two months time when I was finally mentally ready to stop feeling physically like crap all the time.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Diet (moderation) and exercise are the way to go...although it is not a sexy gimmick, or a fad, or a book...it is sustainable for a lifetime.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Ignore all the fad diets, books, videos, and other crap for sale at your local supermarket. Track what you eat, eat less than you burn. It really is that simple.

I am 50 years old and I'm leaner, stronger, and much faster than I was at 30. I finally got a clue a few years ago and stopped making things so difficult.

Good luck.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and let me throw it at you a different way. The best way to pass the time while you lose weight is for your day to be as normal as possible. Obviously some changes will be needed when you start your weight loss effort but you want those changes to be as small as possible. When I change what I do I change in small increments and my thinking is that I don't want to leave normal too far behind. I want to make a change and have normal catch up with me very quickly. I have been at this a year so in that time I have changed a lot from where I started but only a little at a time.

Normal means you are making lifestyle choices not "get the weight off quick so I can get back to normal" choices. The former may help you lose the weight and never regain it. The latter is much more likely to fail either in dropping out or regaining.

It is a terrible idea to make yourself miserable now thinking you are investing in a happier tomorrow. You need to work at being happy now while you are losing. The more miserable you are the slower time will seem to pass and the less likely you will cross the goal line.

As others have said do not get caught up in all extra baggage of weight loss you don't need it. Keep it as simple as possible and just eat less than you burn.

tl;dr If you are tired of your food after a week you are doing it wrong.