5 foot 5 females

Options
Hi,

I am 5 foot 5 and so far I have lost 10lbs and am currently at 12 stone 12.8.

I have been much smaller in the past but unfortunately I do not know what weight I was back then, so I'm finding it hard to visualise what weight I am aiming for. I know this doesn't really matter and I will keep going until I feel like it's the right weight for me, but anyone else whose 5 foot 5, what weight do you feel good at? What weight would you say you're at before you comfortably a size 10/12?

Replies

• mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and based on past experience, I've felt my best around 140-145. This was sustainable for me (at least for a few years). I'm probably around 170-175lbs before I'm comfortable in a size 10/12. I'm at 185 and snug in a 13/some 12s now.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and currently at 164- I comfortably wear a 10/12 in bottoms! Shooting for size 6/8 but not in a super big rush as my current deficit is only -.5lbs per week.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'5 at about 155 and very comfortable in an 8, some brands a 6 (but it's a little snug). My goal was to get below 140, but since I've been more serious about lifting, my weight has gone up a bit, but it hasn't impacted my size. Yet. Hoping for more 6's in my future.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and I felt comfortable between 120-125 lbs. I started at 200 lbs and wore a size 12...it wasn't until I hit 165 lbs that I fit into a 10. Right now I weigh 143 lbs and fit a size 6 jeans. I am aiming for 125 lbs and will see if I am happy once I get there.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’4.5” and 132 lbs (9st 6lbs...I think that’s the correct conversion). I currently am a US size 6 - US size 4 depending on brand and style.

I am looking to get back into my size 2 which was about 120 lbs - 125 lbs for me.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’5 and around 135-140 and fit in size 4’s. When I was around 170-180 I fit comfortably in size 10’s-12’s.
  • chesao
    chesao Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Probably worth mentioning for the sake of anyone reading/replying who isn't aware that a UK 10/12 is a US 6/8, and it is likely that OP is asking about UK sizing (hopefully if she sees this, she can tell me if I'm on the right track, so that even though women's sizing is wildly inconsistent, we can hopefully try to be more precise, ha).

I'm only 5'4", but I find myself comfortable in a UK 10/12 (specifically Collectif, because that's the only UK brand that I import to Canada) around 160-170lbs/11.5-12 stone. Generally a 10 in anything with enough boob room and a flared skirt, or a 12 in trousers/pencil dresses. I'm currently more comfortable in a Collectif 6/8 at 140lbs. But I'm really hourglassy and have a relatively small waist regardless of my weight, so I know that makes a huge difference. I also found that buying clothing brands who design clothes to fit my waist/bust and hip differential and have a detailed size chart in inches (that's usually consistent) really helped in terms of just knowing what size to get! It's so unreliable to go by size across brands.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5 foot 5 and so far I have lost 10lbs and am currently at 12 stone 12.8.

I have been much smaller in the past but unfortunately I do not know what weight I was back then, so I'm finding it hard to visualise what weight I am aiming for. I know this doesn't really matter and I will keep going until I feel like it's the right weight for me, but anyone else whose 5 foot 5, what weight do you feel good at?

I feel good at a lot of weights, best at 120 plus or minus a little. (I have a narrow build, especially pelvic width,non-trendy small booty, and literally no breasts (post-mastectomies), so the lighter end of BMI is better for me.) Profile pic is around 120. I was at 134-point-something this morning, which feels OK, but not ideal. Currently a US size 6 in jeans, might be a little bigger now in dresses, since (unlike the rest of me) my shoulders are wide and dresses usually get tight there first.
    What weight would you say you're at before you comfortably a size 10/12?

I don't really remember. If we're talking jeans, I want to say somewhere in the 140-150s area, maybe even a bit more?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'5'' and 5'6''. I feel best around 135. At a store like LOFT, I just bought pants in a 2 which honestly seems ridiculous to me. I think they have changed their sizing because I have never been a 2. At Banana Republic, I'm a 6. I have lost 20 lb. to get to this weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    So this is crazy because I am 5’5” and 139 pounds and I wear size 8 or 10 pants right now. This goes to show that you cannot tell strictly from height and weight what your clothing size will be. Also that sizes are not consistent. For someone who is 5’5” and 140 to be fitting into size 4, they must be a lot leaner than I am. So it also depends on your ratio of fat to lean (fat takes up a lot more space for the same weight).
  • kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    So this is crazy because I am 5’5” and 139 pounds and I wear size 8 or 10 pants right now. This goes to show that you cannot tell strictly from height and weight what your clothing size will be. Also that sizes are not consistent. For someone who is 5’5” and 140 to be fitting into size 4, they must be a lot leaner than I am. So it also depends on your ratio of fat to lean (fat takes up a lot more space for the same weight).
    I was about to reply something similar! I am also 5’5”. On Jan. 1st, I weighed 146 pounds (10 stone 6) and my US size 10 jeans were VERY snug. I’m at 136 now (9 stone 10) and my US size 8 jeans are comfortable.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

I'm similar. I'm 5'4.5" -- so not that much shorter -- and I can't get into a size 4 until I'm at much lower weights, like 117-120ish. And that's *with* me being at about 18 percent body fat. I'm mind boggled at someone being 20 pounds heavier, and fitting into 4s -- and I'm envious!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Body configuration makes a huge, huge difference. Someone with a narrow pelvis is going to get into a smaller size quicker, on average, than someone with wide-spaced pelvic bones. A woman with very large breasts is going to weigh noticeably more than an otherwise same-sized woman with very small ones (let alone none, like me). Some women carry more of their weight in broad shoulders, less weight further down. Even a big hat size probably means a pound or two more than a small one. I think it's about more than just lean-ness/muscularity.

True. I probably should have mentioned that I have basically no butt and 32DD’s (so I’m somewhat top heavy so to speak).
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    OP, I’m 5’ 5 1/2”, and I think I’m right close to your weight (I’m hovering right around 167), and am in US size 8 jeans right now. Build makes all the difference—I’m 36H as well, and so hope to lose some lbs up there too. I don’t know what I’ll feel best at, but I’m headed towards 150 and will reassess there. I’m hoping the top starts shifting as well—no desire here for bustiness, and as a runner I wouldn’t mind less bounce!
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm assuming your use of the word 'stones' means you're in the UK and I'm guessing many of the respondents are from the US. Sizes will be quite different.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5’5” at 152 in a size 4 🤷🏻‍♀️ but I’m Canadian so the clothing companies are probably being really nice and I’m actually a size 10 😂
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    OP, our UK sizes are different to US and Canadian so don't feel disheartened by PPs saying they're wearing size 4/6/8 😂

I'm 5' 4" (an interloper 😁) and was about 10.5-11 stone in a size 12 if that's any help 👍
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft5 and 134lbs, and a UK size 8 top & 10 bottoms.

Ideally I'd like to lose a pound or 2 more, but I'm pretty happy as I am.