I Just Don't Get It!

Options
sefajane1
sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I started counting calories and logging religiously 3.5 weeks ago. I weigh everything that goes into my mouth and have tried to walk as often as I can, although I have chronic fatigue and arthritis symptoms due to cancer treatments so it's not daily but I'm walking a lot more than I was before.

When I started cutting down on calories I was 134.4lbs, that was 26th February. 6th March I was 124.4lbs (10lbs gone, yey!) but, it hasn't gone any lower since then. Up a bit, down a bit but never lower.

My chest, waist, hip measurements haven't gotten any lower since the weight stopped going down either.

I'm 5' 4", female, 50 years old, sedentary, MFP set me at 1220 calories a day to lose 0.5lbs/week.
I average around 1000 calories a day (I check it weekly). As I don't really exercise, those 40 minutes walks that I do take are not logged as they don't seem worth it.

So, why is the weight not going down?

Why is it that before I started logging, and eating anything and everything that I wanted, eg. a LOT more calories than I do now, with zero walking, my weight was (I think) stable, albeit heavier?

I feel like just going back to how I used to eat. Yes I'll gain that 10lbs lost but I'll be a lot bloody happier and feel less *kitten*! I'm always light-headed, weak and just generally a miserable cow now who's obsessed with calories!

In case it's relevant, the only medication I take is the A.I. Femara.

Please, give me some encouragement! 🙏😊

Replies

• sefajane1
    Options
    You said you always feel miserable, lightheaded, and weak? I wonder if that's a clue. Is it possible you're not eating quite enough and you should add in a couple hundred quality protein calories? You shouldn't feel weak from lack of food, and that's a red flag, I think.

For the past week I've tried to lower my carbs and up my protein but it's difficult as I don't have easy, affordable access to high protein/lower calorie foods. With only 1220 calories to "spend" I'm struggling to find the right balance.

I eat mainly vegetarian as meat/fish/eggs etc. are quite expensive for us here in Turkey.
  • sefajane1
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    1,000 calories a day is simply not sustainable longterm. I'm also concerned you lost 10lbs in one week being as small as you are already.

Thank you but I don't feel small 😔

I don't want to lose too much, 119lbs is my goal (for now) but it's just not going any lower than the 124.4lbs.

This may be a bit TMI but I'm only having 1 pooh a week since starting, even though I get plenty of fibre and I drink a minimum of 3 litres each day, so it's not dehydration causing the lack of pooh😅
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Also, I should add that the carbs I do get are mainly from vegetables - I haven't eaten bread/rice or pasta since I started. I make a big pot of white bean and vegetable soup and that lasts me a week for my main meal. The rest is lower fat natural yoghurt, rye flakes, fruit (fresh & dried), lower fat dry curd cottage cheese, lower fat soft cheese etc.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You're definitely eating healthy foods- is your protein in a good range, though? I understand needing to make this affordable, and suggest increasing protein however you can if it's low. But more calories (protein or not) may be needed until you feel nourished, not weak. In my experience, being weak and lightheaded is quite difficult from being hungry (hunger is often an expected part of these kinds of dietary transitions). I get how frustrating it is not to make the kind of progress you'd hoped for!

• sefajane1
    Options
    You're definitely eating healthy foods- is your protein in a good range, though? I understand needing to make this affordable, and suggest increasing protein however you can if it's low. But more calories (protein or not) may be needed until you feel nourished, not weak. In my experience, being weak and lightheaded is quite difficult from being hungry (hunger is often an expected part of these kinds of dietary transitions). I get how frustrating it is not to make the kind of progress you'd hoped for!

Hunger I can cope with (many years of ED experience behind me 😔). I don't mind hunger but I don't want to feel this awful.

Ive just jiggled with my goals and if I wanted to maintain I'd get 1460 calories. Take off 250 calories for a 0.5lbs/week loss = 1210. Only 10 calories less than my settings now. And it's not going down 😞
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    That is such good advice from @nutmegoreo and I hadn't even considered electrolytes.
  • sefajane1
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    1,000 calories a day is simply not sustainable longterm. I'm also concerned you lost 10lbs in one week being as small as you are already.

I don't want to lose too much, 119lbs is my goal (for now) but it's just not going any lower than the 124.4lbs.

This may be a bit TMI but I'm only having 1 pooh a week since starting, even though I get plenty of fibre and I drink a minimum of 3 litres each day, so it's not dehydration causing the lack of pooh😅

I'm seeing a bunch of things that could be contributing here.

1) with that low calorie intake, you are not likely getting enough fat for bowel and hormone health
    2) if your carbs are primarily from veggies, you may be experiencing keto flu (caused by electrolyte imbalances), the 3 litres of fluid intake would not help this
    3) low intake equals less coming out
    4) low calories can cause the lightheadedness and weakness (as can keto flu)
    5) limited bowel movements and increased stress hormones can both cause stalls in weight loss

You were giving 1220 calories to lose 0.5 lb/week, aim for that. Log your exercise and eat at least 50% of those calories. Aim to get enough fat and protein. If you are going to keep your carbs low, then you need to increase your electrolyte intake.

Thank you for that 👍 Maybe I could try those rehydration powders to balance the electrolytes?
  • sefajane1
    Options

I'm seeing a bunch of things that could be contributing here.

1) with that low calorie intake, you are not likely getting enough fat for bowel and hormone health
    2) if your carbs are primarily from veggies, you may be experiencing keto flu (caused by electrolyte imbalances), the 3 litres of fluid intake would not help this
    3) low intake equals less coming out
    4) low calories can cause the lightheadedness and weakness (as can keto flu)
    5) limited bowel movements and increased stress hormones can both cause stalls in weight loss

You were giving 1220 calories to lose 0.5 lb/week, aim for that. Log your exercise and eat at least 50% of those calories. Aim to get enough fat and protein. If you are going to keep your carbs low, then you need to increase your electrolyte intake.

Thank you for that 👍 Maybe I could try those rehydration powders to balance the electrolytes?

Yes (some broth would do in a pinch), but do increase your calorie intake as well. I'm not sure how long ago your cancer treatment was, but you really need to keep your strength.

I had another thought, but it's gone now. I'll drop it here when it comes back to me.

ETA: There it is! Caffeine. Have you reduced the number of drinks you are consuming with caffeine? If yes, then have a cup of tea/coffee.

I drink black tea - about 2 - 2.5 litres worth a day.

I'm due my 3 month oncology check-up in a week or so - I'll have urine and full bloods tests done. Would an electrolyte imbalance show up then?
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    What @nutmegoreo said.

Also:

Are you post-menopause, because if not, you could be at a stage in your cycle when more fluid is retained. Happens to me from ovulation until menache.

Lots of fibre can also cause constipation, hence more solids in the system.

Most importantly, have you told your cancer healthcare professionals you're dieting on around 800 net calories?

There may be other serious complications in your difficult situation. Hugs, and please take care and seek advice at all your appointments.

Firstly, thank you 💐

Yes, the chemo put me in early menopause but, luckily, I don't think I've suffered many of the usual side effects.

My medication also inhibits oestrogen production.

I haven't seen my oncologist since I started this. I'll mention it when I have my checkup.