Not eating enough

Options
So I am a big guy 6'7" ~340lbs. Therefore I need a ton of calories. I have no problem eating healthier foods, like salads or other veggies. My problem is getting to my calorie target without eating junk. Does anyone else have this problem?

I know, woe is me, I get too many calories… but seriously I can only eat so much broccoli. What high calorie healthy foods should I be eating?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Meat, avocado, greek yogurt, cottage cheese...there are endless possibilities.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Add more full fat food to your diet
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Depending on your deficit, your calorie goal may not be that much higher than mine. Feel free to peruse my diary for any ideas.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Melt cheese on top of your broccoli. Put cheese and pumpkin seeds and olives and full fat dressing on your salads. Eat nuts. Put nut butter on toast. Use full fat milk and yogurt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    As you clearly know, nutrition - eating enough of the right high-quality foods is an important thing for health (though only calories directly matter for weight loss). Thing is, once all those good nutritional boxes are checked, you don't get extra credit for way overloading on even more healthy foods. Once nutrition is dialed in, it's OK to add something less nutrient-dense, more calorie-dense.

But there are plenty of higher calorie nutrient-dense healthy foods, as others have mentioned: Nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocados, healthy oils (like olive), fattier fish or meat cuts, full-fat dairy (if you eat dairy), starchier veggies, etc. Chocolate has useful antioxidants! ;)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A little of what you're defining as "junk" won't hurt you a bit, or your weight loss goals, as long as you're meeting your calorie goals.
    Having said that, it's pretty easy to get hundreds of calories in without much volume. Try cooking something in oil. A tablespoon of peanut butter, putting a little more butter on your toast, or nutella. Just a few calorie-dense foods added to your day will help a lot.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You can eat the junk as long as it fits your calorie goal. You’ll probably find them less satisfying but you can enjoy some in moderation. I had some wings, sweet potato fries, and banana bread today and will still be within my calorie goal.
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate trail mix, so I went and bought the nuts I like (cashews and almonds) and put them into to go bags as snacks. It was a little expensive, but they last months. A half of a cup is enough to last me through the day. They are high in calories.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @stwilliams1897 I eat this salad daily. My diary is open if you'd like some meal ideas.

I sometimes add a little chicken or tuna to the salad, or some potatoes to the burger. Together these two meals can easily provide 1,000 to 1,500 calories, fill me up and provide plenty of nutrition. I also eat meat and potatoes, like beef stew and beef and barley stew. Lite on the potatoes and heavy on the beef. I cook everything in olive oil.

It's all homemade so I control the ingredients. Nothing from a box or can. Calories with volume are easy for me to control, because I'm always full, not hungry.

Iceberg lettuce
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Cheddar cheese
    Avocado
    Olive oil & red wine vinegar dressing

gcywdvip97q7.jpeg
    Plain 8oz hamburger with mushroom sauce and mixed veggies. Simple 15 minute meal.

wbb6o228tled.jpeg
  • stwilliams1897
    stwilliams1897 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »

Before you start down this very yummy road, are you positive you are logging everything correctly now? Are you weighing (not measuring) your foods and also making sure to count all liquid calories (marinades, coffee creamer, oils, butter, tea, juice etc).

No I havent been weighing, I stalled out on my weightloss for 2 weeks, thats the reason im back on MFP, i need to do a better job of tracking
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Depending on your deficit, your calorie goal may not be that much higher than mine. Feel free to peruse my diary for any ideas.

Thanks Mike, you and i have very similar calorie targets, so this helps a lot

• joannegustyn1971
    joannegustyn1971 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My husband is your weight and is having to lose weight quickly as he’s doing a charity boxing match next month. He’s doing amazing (although I’m worried that it’s not at a healthy rate).
    He eats avocados,/canned beans like pintos or navy with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper /, peanut butter/ eggs/ tuna.
    He eats very few carbs and not a lot of calories right now. Once the match is over he wants to continue to lose but up his calories to a healthy rate.