Short with normal bmi, but squishy

Options
I am 5'1 female age 35. I weight 120, and I have in my head that I need to get back down to where I was 15 years ago. (105-110) but here's the deal. I'm still pudgy. I walk a lot, (14000-25000 steps per day) but other than that I dont really have time to exercise. Mfp has me eating 1200 Cal per day, and I usually naturally land between 1200-1500 even without meaning to. Although tracking has helped me to see where I go overboard sometimes without meaning to.

I read a little about recomp but I don't really know how that fits in. I really want to make a change, but I don't really know the best way to go about it...

Any advice?

Replies

• grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to do a huge amount of cardio. I switched to weight and HIIT training and went from squishy to toned. 5’2” 118 down to 108. 10 pounds makes a huge difference on us smaller folk! All my cardio is reserved for hikes, skiing and walking that I would normally do anyways. I do Burn Boot camp, 45 minute classes, 6 days a week. Quick, fun, efficient, energizing and doable.
  • Jussiemariee
    Jussiemariee Posts: 3 Member
    Options

So... I read that thread. I am thinking I would need to find some significant exercise time and energy to do that. Between homeschooling and foster parenting and a part time job, I just don't have an hour a day to work out, or even the mental fortitude to do it. :(

I am also not sure I should be staying at 120. Like the last poster said, 10 pounds is a big deal. I guess Crux of this is how "fit" can I get working within the time slots I have available. And how important exercise is vs calories. I am going to have to really do some thinking on that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So... I read that thread. I am thinking I would need to find some significant exercise time and energy to do that. Between homeschooling and foster parenting and a part time job, I just don't have an hour a day to work out, or even the mental fortitude to do it. :(

I am also not sure I should be staying at 120. Like the last poster said, 10 pounds is a big deal. I guess Crux of this is how "fit" can I get working within the time slots I have available. And how important exercise is vs calories. I am going to have to really do some thinking on that.

Strength training shapes your weight loss result. Strength training helps you keep the lean muscle you already have. Lean muscle is firm and compact, you want to keep that.

There are plenty of people who are smaller at a higher weight. The number on the scale can be rather meaniningless.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 37 normal BMI but waist too large. I started strength training yesterday. Feel free to add me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My full body routine takes 20 minutes 2 x a week...
  • Jussiemariee
    Jussiemariee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad and that is enough to really make a difference?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad and that is enough to really make a difference?

It has made a difference to me, yes