Pain in shins

Options
2»

Replies

• dangowler
    dangowler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It sounds like a combination of shin splints and knee bursitis (the bump under your knee). Bursitis is usually I sign of overuse...ie you did too much too soon. The only way it will clear up is rest or having it drained. Shin splints can also be a bi-product of too much too soon and also bad footwear.

Walking sounds simple enough, but if you're basically going from couch potato to what you're doing, it all sounds like too much too soon. Rest is the only thing that is going to help. After that, ease into things. Walking 4 miles 5 days a week and then doing another walking jogging interval and elliptical and other exercises coming right off the couch is too much work...fitness is something that is built up...your body isn't used to the demand and workload.

But walking isn't enough I can do more ?
    Would substituting treadmill for something else be better ? Because I'm only getting these pains walking or jogging
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    dangowler wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I concur with it being too much for you at this time. The shoes thing might help too. Also, strengthening your calves/tibialis and other leg muscles in general will help.

I agree with all this.

One more thing: After you've cut back (or even stopped) the walking/running for a while, build back up SLOWLY. You don't say explicitly, but I got the impression you may have gone from little or no walking/running to what you're doing now.

I was a couch potato basically before and IV tried to have a break for 2 days and done light walking on treadmill and have the same problem still even 5 mins of walking gives my shins pains this is incredibley painful if I try to just go through it without stopping and I have doctors soon so I'm just going to have him check on it I think
    Thank you

2 days is an appropriate rest time if your DOMS from lifting are more severe than usual. 2 days is nowhere long enough to heal shin splints. 2 weeks at a minimum, and could easily be longer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a combination of shin splints and knee bursitis (the bump under your knee). Bursitis is usually I sign of overuse...ie you did too much too soon. The only way it will clear up is rest or having it drained. Shin splints can also be a bi-product of too much too soon and also bad footwear.

Walking sounds simple enough, but if you're basically going from couch potato to what you're doing, it all sounds like too much too soon. Rest is the only thing that is going to help. After that, ease into things. Walking 4 miles 5 days a week and then doing another walking jogging interval and elliptical and other exercises coming right off the couch is too much work...fitness is something that is built up...your body isn't used to the demand and workload.

Would substituting treadmill for something else be better ? Because I'm only getting these pains walking or jogging

You could try something that isn't weight-bearing, like swimming, maybe biking or recumbent biking. But since you're seeing your doctor soon, maybe you should ask her or him first.
  • michelleg85
    michelleg85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a weird comment - but I had shin problems (likely splints) and started wearing my runners a little looser - I stopped tying them as tight, as someone suggested this to me, and it helped a lot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

You could try something that isn't weight-bearing, like swimming, maybe biking or recumbent biking. But since you're seeing your doctor soon, maybe you should ask her or him first.

Another vote for either something that isn't weight-bearing or waiting to ask your doctor.
  • dangowler
    dangowler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So my shins have stopped being painful after few visits to doctors turns out it's my weight that was the problem I have lost 2 stone doctor says I'm loosing at a healthy rate as now I'm loosing 3-4 lb a week brilliant thank you everyone for your comments was extremely helpful