Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to not mess up hormones when starting IF?

Advise is much appreciated! x

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Why would IF mess up your hormones?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I keep seeing this pop up. Does anyone have concrete sources/research on this? I don't do IF but I am very curious if there is any truth to it affecting hormones in women.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I keep seeing this pop up. Does anyone have concrete sources/research on this? I don't do IF but I am very curious if there is any truth to it affecting hormones in women.

I'm sure I once saw a link on here saying that women are better off doing 10/14 but I can't find it anywhere...
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member

There's another thread on the go that sounds suspiciously similar to this one.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    I'm sure I once saw a link on here saying that women are better off doing 10/14 but I can't find it anywhere...

I thought the same and am relatively certain I saw it on Lyle McDonald's site at one point but I've combed the site to look for it but can't find it.
  • sardelsa
    Raysie1 wrote: »

I believe it was also the OP. But I've seen it mentioned several times by many different people.

I do remember Lyle McDonald mentioning something in his women's book about fasting leading to some issues in women but he did mention there was limited research @KickboxFanatic and @TavistockToad
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I believe it was also the OP. But I've seen it mentioned several times by many different people.

I do remember Lyle McDonald mentioning something in his women's book about fasting leading to some issues in women but he did mention there was limited research @KickboxFanatic and @TavistockToad

It was a couple of years ago I first heard it... I'll have a Google...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019

Martin Berkhan talked about it as part of leangains but I believe that was based on his work with women, more so than actual research.
  • sardelsa
    psuLemon wrote: »

Martin Bekham talked about it as part of leangains but I believe that was based on his work with women, more so than actual research.

Thanks @psuLemon I will check it out.

I think at the end of the day if you are fasting as a female and you notice your cycles or stress levels being affected, I would reconsider or experiment with decreasing the fasting window. I am sure there are many variables and there is no strict guideline, just as I would imagine how leanness and bodyfat% will affect women's hormones at different levels.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I don’t fast (except for religious reasons, so not daily), so I have no real horse in this race, but I did stumble across this article the other day that may be helpful

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-for-women#health-benefits

Check out the section under Intermittent Fasting May Affect Men and Women Differently. Not sure if this information is correct but they included links to their source of data.