Mom with limited time

Options
Hi folks,

I have a lot of weight to lose (my BMI is in the obese category, almost in the morbidly obese category) and I'm looking to add some exercise to my routine. I work full time, have a long commute to and from work and a busy toddler so time is of the essence. My fitness level being what it is, and my time being maybe 15 minutes here and there, do any of you have suggestions/links to programs you've tried or used in the past? I could try to create my own but is probably best if I can follow along with someone at first.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What is your goal for the exercise? Just burn some calories, increase fitness, build muscle, stress reduction?
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Right now it is to increase overall fitness, with the goal of eventually having a bit more endurance and core/major muscle strength to consider more intense (and calorie burning) exercises.
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily, I'll follow the thread since I'm in the same boat as you. A little less weight to shed maybe, and TWO toddlers. Good luck to you.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker and always recommend it-you can do it at any fitness level, it requires no special equipment, you can do it for any length of time that works with your schedule and I find it very relaxing :) Its also great for your heart/health!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think walking/running/jogging is a great way to start out. It is also something you can take your toddler with, too. One of our favorite parks is about a mile away. So I will jog there, take some play time with the toddler, and jog back. There are a lot of couch to 5k (C25K) apps available to download that make good running progressions. Beachbody on demand has a great selection of workouts as well.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have a subscription to Les Mills On Demand. Other programs like Daily Burn, Fitness Blender, and Beachbody have similar online programs. There are shorter and longer workouts ranging from no equipment required to a bit of equipment required. I find this a great supplement to the other stuff I do, but might also work for a busy parent.

Ultimately I had to decide that exercise (my health) was a priority and I shifted some life things around to make sure I had dedicated workout time. I also wake up really, really early to workout before everyone else is up because I wanted to make fitness a regular part of my day.
  • BobPulaski
    BobPulaski Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Something where you don't have to think. A DVD to follow is great because you don't use up time leaving your house and you can do it in a small space.

Rent a couple DVDs from the library and see which works for you. I've lost and kept off 85 pounds with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Half an hour time commitment and it works if you control your food.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Yes, will also have to wake up even earlier (currently getting up at 5:30am now) to fit this in!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    emily2975 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Yes, will also have to wake up even earlier (currently getting up at 5:30am now) to fit this in!

That was a sad realization for me, but I did eventually grow to like my alone time in the early mornings. 4am comes early, but it's all MINE. :)
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat, I’m really considering buying a treadmill because I have a preemie and a toddler so I can’t take them out right now, but I think a treadmill while it’s their nap time will be a great thing for me.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight with a toddler, I just added a little extra 'oomph' to every day life. Any chore, I turned on music, and danced a little as I did it. Dishes, putting away laundry, cleaning up after itty-bitty, whatever. Also, little things like parking farther away from the stores or work so you walk a bit longer in the parking lot, playing more active games with the kiddo, even making sure to fidget when you are still can make a difference (like bounce your leg when you sitting down - seriously, a study or two on people who fidget showed they burn extra calories when they do so, which makes sense, you know?)

I lost about 30 pounds just doing this and paying attention to my diet - didn't really try to eat low calorie, just maintained and added extra work.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Here’s another vote for walking! It really adds up, and can lead to running, which I find incredibly time efficient as exercise. Also, it’s not really necessary to change into different clothes to do it, it can be easy to get friends & colleagues to come along, and is kid-friendly too. I sometimes can even make “walking meetings” work, depending on the situation.

In addition to thinking of walking as exercise and building it in/up, my other most successful way to exercise when I was working FT with toddlers was at lunch. (Said toddlers are now 10 & 16). This ranged from swimming laps to running to ice skating, walking, or whatever was fun and near my work—this was 3 different workplaces (I’m in publishing, all very hectic and busy, but made the time a couple of times per week).

Good luck! I also find a step counter (Was Fitbit, now Garmin) very motivating!

• jaxjackjackie
    jaxjackjackie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I’m a toddler mum too! I took up hoola hooping and it’s the BEST fun. I can do it in the backyard while she plays, in the lounge after she’s in bed, and bring it to the park with us while she runs around. So versatile and really quite a good workout!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Make a friendly deal with your significant other (or schedule some extra time for the kid/s at daycare) that gives you (or you both, if you have a partner) both equal spare time periods for yourselves.

If you don't, you'll end up resenting your OH, and the kids, and that leads to arguments.

• twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As a mum who works full time out of the house and has a toddler time is of the essence. I didn’t have time for gyms and classes so I brought a second hand elliptical trainer so once my toddler was in bed I could work out or my husband would play with her if I wanted to go on during the day.
    I now have a brand new elliptical and a treadmill that I go on when my toddler is at nursery.
    Also I sometimes do workouts off of YouTube and my toddler joins in, she thinks it’s hilarious
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat, I’m really considering buying a treadmill because I have a preemie and a toddler so I can’t take them out right now, but I think a treadmill while it’s their nap time will be a great thing for me.

I bought a treadmill on Black Friday and it has been so convenient! I have a preemie too (although not very premature, a 35 weeker). I hope your preemie is doing well. I have a special place in my heart for preemies.

I bought a treadmill because I couldn't get out with my preemie (25 weeker) too

Had to then swap for an exercise bike on advice of my physio as the treadmill was the worst thing for my arthritis

• joward77
    joward77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred after my second child and really toned up. It's only a 20 minute workout and you can find it on youtube.
  • JusDiana
    JusDiana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have the unpopular opinion.
    If you are very overweight, as you say- I wouldn't focus initially on an exercise program.
    I would spend the little time you do have available with meal prep. Once you get your diet under control and start to lose some weight, you will have more energy and than you can incorporate a walking program, or a 10-15 minute you tube work out.
    Like you I'm a busy mom too, (full time job, 2 kids in travel sports so I'm lucky to get 5 days a month without an extra curricular activity and an hour commute each way for work).
    This is what worked for me - I tended to go all in and go hard for a week or two with food and exercise and get completely burnt out.
    So this time I said it was all about my healthy eating, I spent time meal prepping, bought a food scale and really counted every single bite I ate- the only extra I did was try and get my steps in. I set a low goal for steps and up'd it each week. So maybe invest in a step tracker or it's built into lots of phones if you always have your phone on you.
    After a couple months of doing this and losing 20-25 lbs I had the energy to exercise. Now I do at home videos (beach body) and have progressed from walking to a light jog.
    I'm down almost 30 lbs and only have 7 lbs to go to my goal weight.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    JusDiana wrote: »
    I'm going to have the unpopular opinion.
    If you are very overweight, as you say- I wouldn't focus initially on an exercise program.
    I would spend the little time you do have available with meal prep. Once you get your diet under control and start to lose some weight, you will have more energy and than you can incorporate a walking program, or a 10-15 minute you tube work out.
    Like you I'm a busy mom too, (full time job, 2 kids in travel sports so I'm lucky to get 5 days a month without an extra curricular activity and an hour commute each way for work).
    This is what worked for me - I tended to go all in and go hard for a week or two with food and exercise and get completely burnt out.
    So this time I said it was all about my healthy eating, I spent time meal prepping, bought a food scale and really counted every single bite I ate- the only extra I did was try and get my steps in. I set a low goal for steps and up'd it each week. So maybe invest in a step tracker or it's built into lots of phones if you always have your phone on you.
    After a couple months of doing this and losing 20-25 lbs I had the energy to exercise. Now I do at home videos (beach body) and have progressed from walking to a light jog.
    I'm down almost 30 lbs and only have 7 lbs to go to my goal weight.

I'm actually surprised that you were the first to say prioritize food. While exercise does have a number of health benefits, and I think everyone who can exercise, should exercise, getting calories under control is indeed key.

Here's my potentially unpopular opinion: replace the long commute.

I used to have a long commute in horrendous traffic. After I quit that job, I prioritized jobs with shorter and shorter commutes, and am now working from home. Sure, I could make more money if I was willing to commute into Boston or Providence, but I value my quality of life more than the extra money.