Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Quinoa has crunchy bits!

Ew! I was so excited to try quinoa recently. I cooked it just like the package recipe said and really enjoyed it...until I bit into a super crunchy little bit of what seemed like sand. It was awful and after the second time, I couldn't stomach eating it anymore. Has anyone had this happen before and did you figure out how to resolve it? I bought packaged organic quinoa that says right on the bag that it is pre-washed and there is no need to wash again before cooking. I'm bummed because I think I would really like it otherwise.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    No, I've had a bunch of different brands and none were crunchy.
  • hovium
    hovium Posts: 1 Member
    weird. Sounds like you might be undercooking it?? I always rinse it at least once even if it says prewashed. Give it another try - its SOOOO yummy and a great alternative!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Never experienced that before and I've eaten a lot of quinoa. I would say that you should try rinsing it really well first and then make sure you are cooking it thoroughly. It def shouldn't be crunchy!
  • I'm surprised no one else has experienced this. I'm pretty sure its not an undercooking issue because the bits look like little pieces of glass. They don't at all look like quinoa. I will try again, rinsing before. Hopefully its better this time!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    I'm surprised no one else has experienced this. I'm pretty sure its not an undercooking issue because the bits look like little pieces of glass. They don't at all look like quinoa. I will try again, rinsing before. Hopefully its better this time!
    I have the same problem. It is also why I just CANNOT like quinoa. Everytime I eat it, crunch! And I agree, it's just like biting on a piece of sand.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I'm surprised no one else has experienced this. I'm pretty sure its not an undercooking issue because the bits look like little pieces of glass. They don't at all look like quinoa. I will try again, rinsing before. Hopefully its better this time!
    I have the same problem. It is also why I just CANNOT like quinoa. Everytime I eat it, crunch! And I agree, it's just like biting on a piece of sand.

try a different brand?
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member

try a different brand?
    I've personally tried a couple brands and had the problem with both. If I had time (and the inclination!) I could sit and sort through the pile of pre-cooked quinoa looking for the little crunchy bits that are waiting to attack me. But I don't. So for now, I'll skip the quinoa.

I suppose one could also eat quinoa without chewing. Just spoon it it and swallow. But where is the fun in that!?
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    I eat a lot of quinoa and have tried several brands and have never experienced the "sand" bits issue. Might just be that particular batch? Maybe?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I'm surprised no one else has experienced this.
    Here's another thread on the subject.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669675-removing-stones-debris-from-quinoa
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have also eaten a ton of quinoa in my life, many different brands, and have never had it crunch. I always rinse my quinoa before cooking because of the saponin (as should you, if you don't know why Google "quinoa rinse saponin"), so if there were any grit, this would have washed it away.
  • lovegeniue
    lovegeniue Posts: 1
    I had crunchy bit in mine too. I got one bag from Costco (Bobs) and Sams Club. I read about washing but today I made Quinoa brownies and got a pebble. I spit it out and it looks like clear sand. I wash like crazy and have no idea how to take it out!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    i always rinse it, it also takes away the bitter edge you can get some times
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Make sure you are cooking it properly and maybe check it to see if there is anything other than Quinoa in it before you cook it.

I always buy the Tru Roots brand (I get it at Costco here but I know health food stores carry it and some supermarkets in the health food section). This brand is pre-rinsed which is nice although I still rinse mine prior to cooking it. I have never had any crunchy bits unless I have undercooked it.
  • mcam3
    mcam3 Posts: 1
    I, too have experienced the bits of glass. Once I made a nice quinoa salad to share with co-workers and was mortified to have one of them show me the piece of glass he found in a mouthful. Same thing happened when I made some for my family - my grouchiest brother bit into it this time.

I used to buy mine at an Amish bulk food store, but have given up on quinoa because of the glass. A friend told me his wife bought some pre-packaged at the grocery and they found the same thing. I am an obsessive, detail sort of person, so I have actually dumped out bags of the quinoa 1/4 cup at a time into a baking pan and sorted through looking for the glass. It's there, and not the result of improper cooking or not rinsing thoroughly enough.

So all of you who have never had this problem, perhaps you can tell the rest of us what brand you buy so we can get our own glass-free quinoa?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Before I cooked quinoa for the first time, I read about cooking quinoa. Said rinse, so I rinsed. Assume this issue is due to not rinsing.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    sand, grit, and tiny rocks are common in quinoa and has nothing to do with rinsing or not rinsing. It's part of the 'harvest' process. Removing the sand bits is labor intensive.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    ancurtis wrote: »
    sand, grit, and tiny rocks are common in quinoa and has nothing to do with rinsing or not rinsing. It's part of the 'harvest' process. Removing the sand bits is labor intensive.
    This ^^
    Rinsing is to remove the saponins from the seed which are mildly toxic.
  • tylerlaroque2019
    tylerlaroque2019 Posts: 1 Member
    I have had a similar issue with quinoa which I hadn't encountered before until a recent purchase of a 25lb bag of white quinoa from a big supplier. It wasnt until I got close to almost eating half of the bag when I found that I was biting into crunchy bits of what I would describe as glass beads. I emailed the company and told them of the issue. They replied reassuring me that what I had found in their product was not glass but rather quartz which is found next to where the royal quinoa is grown. The machinery in which detects the quarts must not have picked it up and they issued me a refund.
    I still eat quinoa quite often but now I'm just abit more cautious when chewing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    k5il5z77w8ju.gif