Should you change your calories after you lost weight? (to lose more weight)

Options
I was just wondering when should I change my calories

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I changed mine every ten pounds or so.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I changed mine every ten pounds or so.

Same here
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I changed mine when I saw the weight loss plateau for a few weeks. Probably every 2 months.
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    TerranandKaylynsmommy Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I thought they auto-adjusted
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I'm not sure, I think MFP does. I used TDEE and adjusted my calorie goal on my own.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

They may now. I've been maintaining since 2015, but when I was losing weight I had to go into my goals to get a new calorie goal after losing weight.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I'm not sure, I think MFP does. I used TDEE and adjusted my calorie goal on my own.

MFP does not automatically adjust your calories unless they’ve changed that recently. You should recalculate your goals every 10-15 pounds or so.
  • vivian2341
    vivian2341 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you change your calories goals?? I tried everything and it would not change!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of ways to do this. You could either recalculate every 10 pounds or so, or set your calories to expected goal maintenance minus 250 and just keep using the same goal. Your rate of weight loss will slow down on its own the more you lose without having to make calorie shifts.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me of this. I remember now i would change mine after every 10 pounds lost. I have only lost 6.8lbs this time around and it changed my calories on me. How do I change it back again?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    MFP seems to make some adjustment automatically.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    MFP seems to make some adjustment automatically.

It doesn't. You have to go into your "goals" page and into the calories/macro setting for it to do the calculation and set a new goal.

It does make adjustments for calories burned based on your current weight if you log your exercise though.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MFP definitely used to do this on it's own - I remember it happening years ago! It would pop up with a message saying "you've lost XYZ lbs, to maintain your goal of 2 lbs per week, your new calorie goal is XYZ" and you'd have to hit approve on it!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Me too remembering once I hit a certain weight, my calorie allowance became less. Like I went from 1550 a day to 1510 all of a sudden.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Mine definitely auto-adjust when I update my weight.

I started in June at 140lbs, 1370 cal/day and as I've logged weight loss, it has slowly moved me down 10 - 20 calories at a time to now 126lbs, 1290 cal/day. I figure when I get to 125, it'll auto-adjust again to 1280 because that's how its been going. I've never manually adjusted the calories.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    When you guys adjust normally how much do you carve off? My calories are already set pretty low so wondering how you guys do it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When you guys adjust normally how much do you carve off? My calories are already set pretty low so wondering how you guys do it

If your calories are set very low, you may want to consider increasing them not decreasing them. As a general rule, 1200 is the minimum for the vast majority of women, and even that may be too low for most.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for almost 2 years and every year on my birthday it takes away about 10 calories without me adjusting anything, I am set to maintain.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for almost 2 years and every year on my birthday it takes away about 10 calories without me adjusting anything, I am set to maintain.

Oh snap. So my calories will continue to shrink even on maintenance mode. :'(