Low Carbs/Low Sugar

Options
linjnew
linjnew Posts: 11 Member
So I have been doing some research, talking to people that have used this method, talking to people that have used Food Scientists...I have been doing 50-150 carbs (more like 50) per day and 20-25 sugars per day, Lost 8lbs in 5 weeks. Not discouraged, I have been know to lose 45 in 5 weeks, which landed me in the hospital. I do miss my pasta but it is getting easier. Just want to see if anyone out there this is working for and if your information concurs. I noticed that some nutritionists comment that all whole fruits sugars can be discounted, however, must follow the same rule as other foods for carbs...Anyone...Anyone???

Replies

• Horses4Two
    Horses4Two Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have to stay under about 30 grams of carbs to lose weight. I rarely eat fruit in my day. I miss bread! I have low carb bread and it taste like eating air, or cardboard..lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on a range of carbs, and don't think it matters much if you are getting a good healthy diet overall, and sufficient fiber, healthy fat, and protein (and a good amount and variety of vegetables).

My own ideas about a healthy diet also includes some fruit, beans and lentils, and then the balance primarily nutrient-dense whole foods and foods that add to taste.

When losing I was mostly eating around 40% carbs (30-30 for fat and protein). I don't eat much added sugar (on most days well under 5% of cal, many close to none) and didn't think it was important to watch intrinsic sugar -- I personally consider my diet healthier when it includes some fruit, and foods like greek yogurt and sweet potatoes are also foods that work well for me.

Calorie deficit is what dictates weight loss, but of course a healthy diet is important for nutrition and other factors may affect satisfaction.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    To site what others have said, it doesn't matter if you have low carb, no carb, high carb or what not - what matters is the caloric deficit.

Personally, I don't monitor any particular macro - I consume around 100-180g carbs per day because I love rice, I am a fruit fiend and I adore bread. When it's a long bike ride day, that'll skyrocket into 300-500 territory depending on the condition of the terrain and the length of said ride. Does it matter? At that instant, yes, because I need that quick-burn energy to not bonk and collapse off my bicycle. So far as weight loss? Not one bit.

Dunno why people feel they have to eradicate something if there isn't a medical necessity. As was already stated above, all things in moderation and CICO.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate things. Restricting or eliminating things you like will eventually lead to 'falling off the wagon'. Keep it simple. Track your food. Make small adjustments to eat less than you burn. That's all there is to it. No crazy fad diet required.

FWIW - The Mt DEW I just drank has 3x the carbs you allow yourself to eat. I have no issues with my weight. Sugar is not the enemy (unless you have a medical reason to avoid it).

Good luck.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, low carb works great. In fact, the lower the carbs, the healthier I feel and the easier it is to manage my weight.

I have been low carb for years. It does not cause falling off the wagon and carb binges in those who are good at abstaining. For me, having a bite or two is what makes me want more when dealing with carbs.

For me, so one who was developing insulin resistance, I treat fruit as a sugary food, and eat very little of it. A sugar is a sugar.
  • linjnew
    linjnew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Really great information...thanks to all, moderation is my goal now, but I am keeping an eye on carbs/sugars as I was had Diabetes II for years and have been cleared of that now for 2 years, don't want to slide back to that slippery slope!