How to not mess up hormones when starting IF?

Advise is much appreciated! x

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Why would IF mess up your hormones?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I keep seeing this pop up. Does anyone have concrete sources/research on this? I don't do IF but I am very curious if there is any truth to it affecting hormones in women.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I keep seeing this pop up. Does anyone have concrete sources/research on this? I don't do IF but I am very curious if there is any truth to it affecting hormones in women.

I'm sure I once saw a link on here saying that women are better off doing 10/14 but I can't find it anywhere...
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member

There's another thread on the go that sounds suspiciously similar to this one.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    I'm sure I once saw a link on here saying that women are better off doing 10/14 but I can't find it anywhere...

I thought the same and am relatively certain I saw it on Lyle McDonald's site at one point but I've combed the site to look for it but can't find it.
  • sardelsa
    Raysie1 wrote: »

I believe it was also the OP. But I've seen it mentioned several times by many different people.

I do remember Lyle McDonald mentioning something in his women's book about fasting leading to some issues in women but he did mention there was limited research @KickboxFanatic and @TavistockToad
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I believe it was also the OP. But I've seen it mentioned several times by many different people.

I do remember Lyle McDonald mentioning something in his women's book about fasting leading to some issues in women but he did mention there was limited research @KickboxFanatic and @TavistockToad

It was a couple of years ago I first heard it... I'll have a Google...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019

Martin Berkhan talked about it as part of leangains but I believe that was based on his work with women, more so than actual research.
  • sardelsa
    psuLemon wrote: »

Martin Bekham talked about it as part of leangains but I believe that was based on his work with women, more so than actual research.

Thanks @psuLemon I will check it out.

I think at the end of the day if you are fasting as a female and you notice your cycles or stress levels being affected, I would reconsider or experiment with decreasing the fasting window. I am sure there are many variables and there is no strict guideline, just as I would imagine how leanness and bodyfat% will affect women's hormones at different levels.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I don’t fast (except for religious reasons, so not daily), so I have no real horse in this race, but I did stumble across this article the other day that may be helpful

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-for-women#health-benefits

Check out the section under Intermittent Fasting May Affect Men and Women Differently. Not sure if this information is correct but they included links to their source of data.