Woman's solo hiking trip baffles friends

Options
YOSEMITE VILLAGE, CA—Confusing her friends and colleagues as to what could possibly drive her to undertake such an expedition, sources confirmed Friday that aspiring explorer Jillian Greene’s solo hike through Yosemite National Park has evidently nothing to do with soul-searching, an inner journey, or any other form of self-discovery. “Naturally, I assumed she was attempting to deal with a catastrophic event, the loss of a parent, or a devastating breakup or something similar. But no, Jillian is really just using her vacation time to be out in nature, just walking for the sake of walking, I guess?” 

https://local.theonion.com/woman-s-solo-hiking-trip-shockingly-doesn-t-have-to-do-1833329867

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Love it! I often do solo hiking trips, mainly because no one else wants to keep up with me.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That is too funny. I love being alone in nature, it's very soothing and calming.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    People always think I am nuts!! But the quiet is awesome! If you count me singing weird bits of the few lines of songs I actually remember, listening to podcasts to warn bears of my imminent arrival, and cursing at the mosquitos and thorns “quiet”. I love hiking alone, this year I will have my dog along as he no longer has useless 2” long puppy legs, so that makes for more water to bring along for the dry stretches and more than twice the food weight(I may have to just dehydrate him some meat as opposed to kibble), but bring on the weekends!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Men solo hike all the time. Why not women?

Just a matter of having the proper equipment, supplies, conditioning, training and state of mind.

I've always done most things alone, including multiday hikes and motorcycle travel. Not risky at all, if you are properly prepared.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    One of my yoga teachers spent her 50th birthday on a solo hike around Israel and the Mediterranean. Five weeks and she said it was the adventure of a life time.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love buffling friends - they always look so surprised and start their day with: "well, I never....!"
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    ...Not risky at all, if you are properly prepared.

I realize it's an Onion story, but there are lessons to be learned.

I wouldn't say it's not risky "at all" - just that being prepared helps mitigate risk. ;) Even then, stuff happens. You can't predict whether you'll come across a wild animal and whether or not you'll even have a chance to defend yourself. Trail and weather conditions can change rapidly.

A friend of a friend often went solo hiking in the mountains. One day she didn't return and she hadn't told anyone which of her fave trails she would hike. It took a few days to find her car at a particular trail head and a few more days to find her body. She had slipped on a trail she'd hiked dozens of times, fell a few hundred feet, and died. :(

At the very least, we should tell someone where we're thinking of going.

Well, there is always some risk whenever you do anything, even just walking across the street or getting out of the tub. Think I read somewhere that most injuries in the home occur in the tub.

In any event, my point (which I think you understood) is that you can take MOST of the risk out of most solo activities by being properly prepared.

For example, when I have gone on long multiday hikes in the mts or on drives100's of miles offroad to no where in a a 4x4, I've always carried a PLB (personal locator beacon), a sat phone, a solar charger for the phone and the phone numbers of all of the search & rescue depts in the areas that I am planning to travel.

However, even that may not have saved your friend, if she died immediately when she fell, but might have saved her life if she was still conscious and able to activate the PLB which just requires the push of a button.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to notify friends of your route but, when you travel alone, you need to assume that NO help may be forthcoming and may have to figure out a way to save yourself.

That's what I also meant by a proper state of mind. You will plan much differently for a solo trip if you assume that you can rely on others for help than if you assume that you will always be on your own and prepare accordingly.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i travel on my own. i'm single.
    and it really blows people's minds.

when i was in an accident 4 hours from home, the sheriff, the locals, the tow truck driver were all shocked. yes, i'm traveling alone; no i'm not meeting anyone; yes, just me.
  • kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Didn't anybody see the movie "Wild"? I know a LOT of women who hike and backpack solo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    This thread is really funny.

It has helped me with my soul-searching, my inner journey, and my self-discovery . . . almost as much as reading an Onion story.

Does that mean I don't need to go for a hike? ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kytdkyt wrote: »
    Didn't anybody see the movie "Wild"? I know a LOT of women who hike and backpack solo.

Right, "Wild" was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Then I saw that the OP referred to an Onion piece, and The Onion is satire :)

I prefer to be in parts of the woods with little to no traffic, and one major reason for this is people who don't clean up after their dog poops in the trail >.<

I was delighted to find a way back entrance to my nearby state park last fall. I think I've only seen people 2-3 times there.

People hardly go into the woods behind my house either. Well, now that the city made the homeless people who were camping there leave, that is. The city did a bunch of cleanup, and I am slowly and carefully removing more trash.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    At press time, Greene’s friends and family expressed regret over not staging an intervention immediately after she revealed her desire to just enjoy the fresh air, silence, and sunsets.

Love the onion :D
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I prefer to be in parts of the woods with little to no traffic, and one major reason for this is people who don't clean up after their dog poops in the trail >.<

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. I'm on trail a lot and I don't get it. My husband actually stepped on some the other day right on the trail.

And btw dog owners, those cute little baggies that you place your dog poop into is meant to be packed out. That's right - take it with you. I don't know if you think little faeries come at night to remove the bags or if you think city workers come but knock it off! If you're just gonna come into the wilderness to litter then please just stay home.

And while I'm on this rant, if the rule is for your dog to be on leash, then please keep your dog on leash. I know you all think it's okay for little Trixie and Rover to run around, jump on people and charge them but it's not cool.

Rant over. I love nature. I love being on trail, it's my favorite place on Earth. Can't get enough really. Alone or with someone I enjoy, doesn't matter. It's all amazing. Can't wait to do a long thru-hike.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sometimes, they (not me) leave the bag because they are doing out and backs and will pick up the bag on the way back to the trailhead.

as a dog owner, i will cosign that your super friendly dog needs to be on a leash. i don't care how well you think your dog is trained.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. I'm on trail a lot and I don't get it. My husband actually stepped on some the other day right on the trail.

And btw dog owners, those cute little baggies that you place your dog poop into is meant to be packed out. That's right - take it with you. I don't know if you think little faeries come at night to remove the bags or if you think city workers come but knock it off! If you're just gonna come into the wilderness to litter then please just stay home.

And while I'm on this rant, if the rule is for your dog to be on leash, then please keep your dog on leash. I know you all think it's okay for little Trixie and Rover to run around, jump on people and charge them but it's not cool.

Rant over. I love nature. I love being on trail, it's my favorite place on Earth. Can't get enough really. Alone or with someone I enjoy, doesn't matter. It's all amazing. Can't wait to do a long thru-hike.

I'm a dog lover and I approve of this rant.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Right, "Wild" was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Then I saw that the OP referred to an Onion piece, and The Onion is satire :)

I was delighted to find a way back entrance to my nearby state park last fall. I think I've only seen people 2-3 times there.

People hardly go into the woods behind my house either. Well, now that the city made the homeless people who were camping there leave, that is. The city did a bunch of cleanup, and I am slowly and carefully removing more trash.

With all the surrounding trails at our disposal out here, what surprises me always is, how few in numbers we are ... And I mean, those of us who actually do use it frequently. When some do attempt any of our trails or off-trails, their complaints are endless, so we never do get to see a repeat.

New Mums do try ... Always responsible enough to choose daylight hours, either in our AM or PM to be outdoors along our very trails, oftentimes with the baby, a toddler and the family pet.

Even with our dog waste bins and bags ... Sneaky neighbours, continue to NOT pick up after their pets and many wonder why the coyotes become an issue.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    One time I was walking my dog and there was a big dog poop right in the middle of the sidewalk. :s I hate people sometimes. It's always dark when I walk my dog so I could easily have not seen it.