Super overwhelmed. Want to get more muscle tone but have NO idea where to start?

Options
JTennis1995
JTennis1995 Posts: 24 Member
I'm a 23 year old man, weigh 148 pounds and am 6'1". My build is absolutely skinny fat, wide hip bones and narrow shoulders. The only part of my body that is even somewhat strong is my legs as I run 8+ miles a couple times a week and play tennis often. I want to start lifting weights and getting some muscle tone on my frame, but I'm super super overwhelmed and borderline panicked (for some reason) because I have no idea where to start. There's so much information out there, and it's hard to set up my own specific weekly routine when I have zero clue what the hell I'm doing. I tried to workout with dumbbells a few years ago but I had no idea how many reps to do, how many sets, what exercises, when to take a rest, etc. I was just in my room doing bicep curls like an idiot until I hurt myself.

I just graduated from school and am doing an internship so I can't afford a gym membership or a personal trainer who can help me created a specific plan or weekly routine. Right now I have a yoga mat, 25 pound dumbbells and 15 pound dumbbells, but I'm definitely willing to spend a little of my money to get something else if it would help me.

I can't expect anyone on here to craft a weekly plan for me but at the least, where do I start? Thank you guys so so much.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
  • restlessleukocyte
    restlessleukocyte Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A lot of the lifting programs are geared towards people with access to a barbell and some plates. That could be you, or maybe you’ll invest in several sets of dumbbells of various weights - but as you gain strength (which will likely be very fast, since you’re young, male, and new to weight training) you’ll need heavier dumbbells.

If you’re looking to workout at home, I would check out the subreddit r/bodyweightfitness - they have a recommended routine on the sidebar, with progressions for any exercises for which you can’t yet do the full version. The key to getting stronger and putting on muscle is progressive overload. Many people think you can’t do that with your own body weight, but you absolutely can, for a long time. Maybe eventually you’ll hang some weight on you while doing pull-ups, etc. but check out that sub and the routine and give it a shot if it’s up your alley.

You might also look at Nerd Fitness (google it). Also geared towards bodyweight/minimal equipment. I think it’s very good for getting started - if you can’t knock out some sets of bodyweight pushups, squats, lunges yet, this is your go-to. I’m not sure how they are for more advanced things, but I started here many years ago.

Last, I’d suggest investing in a pull-up bar. There’s no substitute quite as good as a pull-up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't need to create your own plan, you do need to have a serious think about your own short and long term goals though and the commitment to start and continue.

Following a well designed plan is of course optimal but honestly as a young man don't over-analyse to the point you do nothing - something as opposed to nothing is the biggest difference you will make. My gym is full of young men doing absolutely awful routines, talking twaddle about nutrition and still making good physique and strength gains.

BTW - you can do a lot with bodyweight exercises and a set of adjustable dumbbells.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Was like the op at that age..

Start lifting.. gain some weight to help build them muscle. You prolly not eating enough..that was my problem then.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here. You have the triple-pronged advantage here:

1. You're young
    2. You're male
    3. You're untrained

That means that you are in a prime position to take full advantage of a novice progression. If there is any way to get into a membership at all, I would pursue that, but as mentioned above bodyweight stuff can help get you started. A pull-up bar would be golden.

Whatever you do, make sure your program is a progressive overload style. In order to grow muscle you have to do these things (yes, another numbered-list is on the way):

1. Eat in a slight caloric surplus (more if/when you get into heavy weights)
    2. Provide enough stress to "disrupt homeostasis" - this does not mean doing reps to failure - the program you choose should give you pretty good clues about beginning rep ranges and sets.
    3. Recovery - it takes about 48 hours or so for stress to be dissipated in a novice. This implies that you should not work the same muscle groups every day. This includes getting enough sleep.
    4. Adapt - this is when your muscles adapt to the stress provided them after sufficient recovery.

Steps 3 and 4 are where the magic happens in whatever program you are in. Whether you split out muscle groups or do whole body, you simply have to have those steps in order to grow muscle and get stronger.

As soon as you possibly are able, I would recommend getting into a gym and start using barbells (many of the programs in the thread link above are great places to start). You don't have to use barbells, but their advantage is that they are easily dosable and compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, and presses will do more for you in a much shorter time. It's also much easier to gage progress and the programs are simple.

For example, even at my age (54 when I started), I used Starting Strength as a novice. It is very simple. My novice program looked like this (yours doesn't have to be this - this is only an example for me):

Workout A (M/F for odd weeks, W for even weeks):

Squat 3 sets of 5 reps
    Bench Press 3 sets of 5 reps
    Dead Lift 1 set of 5 reps

Workout B (W for odd weeks, M/F for even weeks)
    Squat 3 sets of 5 reps
    Overhead Press 3 sets of 5 reps
    Dead Lift 1 set of 5 reps.

Add 5 pounds to the bar every workout until you can't - then there are variations. After a few weeks replace the dead lift with either power cleans or rows in either A or B. I started without any weight on the bar. Don't worry about it being light to start. It'll get heavy soon enough.

That's the program I used. Any program that incorporates progressive overload will work, but it has to have that.
  • JTennis1995
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • JTennis1995
    Options
    My arms are so sore that I can barely fully extend them. Is that normal?