Tdde calculator

Options
Trying to workout how active I am to work out calories I am currently recovering and cannot lift heavy weights for another month so I am doing more cardio and training Hiit style
I workout for an hour 5x week and get 10,000 steps in most days would that be considered moderate or lightly active as some days in in uni I sit for 5 hours

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE, you should be using a TDEE calculator, and not MFP's calculator to calculate your calorie goals. That would be moderate exercise in TDEE terms.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lucym0802 wrote: »
    Trying to workout how active I am to work out calories I am currently recovering and cannot lift heavy weights for another month so I am doing more cardio and training Hiit style
    I workout for an hour 5x week and get 10,000 steps in most days would that be considered moderate or lightly active as some days in in uni I sit for 5 hours

for MFP your activity setting does not include meaningful exercise. its roughly based on steps before exercise.

then you eat back exercise calories on the days you work out.

if you want to use TDEE then use scooby.com to get a calorie goal and change MFP manually.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I don’t use my fitness pal I don’t think it’s accurate I use tdde.net the katch mcardle formula

then i have no idea what you're asking? most TDEE calculators give a blurb about what their activity levels include?
  • lucym0802
    lucym0802 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 currently on a cutting stage and thinking of increasing to 1600 as my energy is down
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I eat 1400 currently on a cutting stage and thinking of increasing to 1600 as my energy is down

ok?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don’t use my fitness pal I don’t think it’s accurate I use tdde.net the katch mcardle formula

Why don't you think it's accurate? They are all estimates at the end of the day but based on much the same information, the only difference between MFP's NEAT method and TDEE is that the NEAT method doesn't include exercise calories, these are logged separately which is beneficial to people who don't regularly exercise or don't have a consistent workout schedule, whereas TDEE includes exercise and averages that across the week which is more beneficial to people who have a consistent routine.

1400 seems pretty low for someone who is working out 5 days a week and getting 10000 steps per day.

What are your stats?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

for MFP your activity setting does not include meaningful exercise. its roughly based on steps before exercise.

then you eat back exercise calories on the days you work out.

if you want to use TDEE then use scooby.com to get a calorie goal and change MFP manually.

This has worked for me.
  • lucym0802
    lucym0802 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry I’m on a train and I keep loosing WiFi stats are weight 56kg, height 5ft2 , bf last checked 18% on a machine thingy I’m 22 but have abit of lower body fat to loose probs about half a stone ish
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Sorry I’m on a train and I keep loosing WiFi stats are weight 56kg, height 5ft2 , bf last checked 18% on a machine thingy I’m 22 but have abit of lower body fat to loose probs about half a stone ish

so what does your TDEE calculator give you when you take off 10%?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

So you're already at healthy weight so shouldn't be expecting to lose more than 1/2 pound per week (About 250g) per week metric.

Your BMR is around 1362.

If you were to follow MFP's NEAT method you'd get around 1656 + exercise if set to Lightly Active and 0.5lb loss per week.

Following TDEECalculator.net for Moderately Active that'd give you a Maintenance of 2111, so with a deficit for losing 0.5lbs per week 1861 per day.

Difference equating to around 285* calories per workout.

*edited for math fail @MikePTY :grimace:
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The only reliable way to calculate your TDEE is to religiously track your calories and weight over a period of time. Charts aren't accurate and fitness trackers aren't accurate. Only by tracking calories in and weight can you know your individual TDEE. A daily deficit of 500 calories will correspond to a loss of 1 pound per week, so track your weight and calories for a few weeks and you'll know your TDEE.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    The only reliable way to calculate your TDEE is to religiously track your calories and weight over a period of time. Charts aren't accurate and fitness trackers aren't accurate. Only by tracking calories in and weight can you know your individual TDEE. A daily deficit of 500 calories will correspond to a loss of 1 pound per week, so track your weight and calories for a few weeks and you'll know your TDEE.

^^This.