Is it possible to drop 5% body fat in 6 weeks?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    What they offering might work for some people, like some of you have mentioned, especially those with a lot to lose. They said their clients have 87% success rate, so they're definitely making some money. Clearly, not for me. I will just stick to what I'm doing, i think it's working and doesn't cost anything

Yes, not for you. Good plan :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could find a good trainer to work with for less than $500/6 weeks, if the trainer was the main incentive for you.

This!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The free part was e
  • icemom011
    Options
    The free part was looking really good though. Oh well ;)
  • icemom011
    Options
    overin2015 wrote: »
    Your weight is my goal weight at 5'7" isn't it funny how we all are different.

Yes, was mine as well. But seems like a good idea for me to go a little lower. We are all different, that's a great thing though
  • Daliae1
    Daliae1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the same exact thing, and my BMI is 32.6 which is Obese, now I'm worried do you think its feasible to lose 5% fat for me in 6 weeks?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,762 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ...They said their clients have 87% success rate, so they're definitely making some money.

If 100% of clients succeeded they wouldn't make any money, so they do need/want some to fail. ;)

How do they define success? Is it just the six weeks and that's it? I'd be asking how many of the clients kept that weight off vs. how many gained it all back and then some. Some folks that are obese could probably use the program as a jump start to long-term health changes, if they're motivated. However I am guessing the target clientele is this: ladies with not much to lose, a little unhappy with the soft spots, and looking for a quick way to drop those last pounds. Easy targets.
    The free part was looking really good though. Oh well ;)

They have a good marketing team. You're supposed to be tempted. ;)
    Daliae1 wrote: »
    I just signed up for the same exact thing, and my BMI is 32.6 which is Obese, now I'm worried do you think its feasible to lose 5% fat for me in 6 weeks?

It's possible, but do consider what your plans are after that. How will you continue or maintain the loss? Are you going to change your eating and activity habits over the long haul? Are you prepared to lose the money if for whatever reason you don't reach the magic number?
  • lighri
    lighri Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just came across this article and it fits my current situation. I'm at 49% body fat according to their scales calculation. The schedule is 45 minutes of cross-fit training 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks, the following 3 weeks at least 3 times a week, can go more if desired. Follow a high protein diet. Is it possible/realistic/healthy to loose 6% body fat in 6 weeks time? Also, I'm not exactly sure how much as far as pounds that would be.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Whups, accidentally responded to an old thread. XD
  • deezhd67
    deezhd67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have just been presented with this same challenge but mine is 6% body fat loss in 6 weeks. Current weight, 185, I'm 5'7" and my current body fat % is 36.3, according to the hand-held measuring device. I'm aware that I'm overweight and not exactly fit, however I carry my weight evenly (most people are shocked to hear that I weigh 185. I'm very comfortable at around 170lbs. Is this 6% loss even possible or is this pretty much "a sucker born every day" scam? Appreciate info/suggestions.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You have your answer, but I would have said.....20# doable, 5% fat loss, not so much. It takes me 10# to lose 1%bf
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,878 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I would expect that most for-profit businesses have done their calculations as to how this will play out.

I prefer to just pay a fair price for what I want to purchase as opposed to trying to gamble against the house.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    There's a promotional challenge by a fitness program /club locally. The gist of it, they make you pay $500.00 deposit, and within 6 weeks you got to drop 20 or more pounds or 5% body fat if you want to see your money back. They give you meal plan and a trainer to work out for 1 hour three times a week . So this seems like a very harsh and aggressive approach to begin with, only would work if you have a lot to lose. I really don't. I'm working on recomp, technically in maintenance, but working on recomp, with the intention to drop my body fat a little lower. Right now, by the calculator, my bmi is just over 24%. I weight 147-148lbs, and I'm 5'7". So by numbers, i can lose 5% and i would like to. The question is, is it even realistic and safe to do in 6 weeks time frame? My gut feeling that it's not. What do you guys think?

Measuring body fat is dicey so I am not sure how this would be calculated--impedance (totally unrealizable)? calipers (maybe more reliable if the measurer is experienced)?. But if you are at 25% (average) body fat, that would amount to about 1.8 # of fat loss. It might be achievable but I don't know if the pain would be worth it.
  • icemom011
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would expect that most for-profit businesses have done their calculations as to how this will play out.

I prefer to just pay a fair price for what I want to purchase as opposed to trying to gamble against the house.

Yes, i absolutely believe that they did. So i ended up not wasting my time and money on this scam.
    deezhd67 wrote: »
    I have just been presented with this same challenge but mine is 6% body fat loss in 6 weeks. Current weight, 185, I'm 5'7" and my current body fat % is 36.3, according to the hand-held measuring device. I'm aware that I'm overweight and not exactly fit, however I carry my weight evenly (most people are shocked to hear that I weigh 185. I'm very comfortable at around 170lbs. Is this 6% loss even possible or is this pretty much "a sucker born every day" scam? Appreciate info/suggestions.

Interesting enough, that they made it a little bit less achievable. It might be a different company, of course, but stakes are up.
    What part of the offer is attractive for you?
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just completed the 6-week BOdy fat challenge... I lose 6.2% BF and 16lbs in 6 weeks but I started at 36% BF and pretty much starved myself the last week of the challenge to make sure I got my money back...

At your weight and BF%... DONT DO IT
  • deezhd67
    Options
    Too late :s I already signed on the dotted line. I felt the incentive of getting my money back would push me to meet the goals. I will do the program and just lick my wounds. Lesson learned.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too late :s I already signed on the dotted line. I felt the incentive of getting my money back would push me to meet the goals. I will do the program and just lick my wounds. Lesson learned.

I wish you luck! I recommend more strength training than cardio but a good variety will be beneficial... do more than just the program workout in they days you go. It’s only 6 weeks!

• icemom011
    Options
    Good luck, please post and update on your progress and the end result!
  • deezhd67
    Options
    Thank you all! It is what it is ;) and I will update at the end!