Breakfast cereals!

Options
I've known for a long time that breakfast cereals are high in sugar etc. But I always thought that it wasn't that bad as they're high in vitamins and fibre and they do tend to fill you up for a while.

Today I decided to actually weigh my portion of cereal to see how far off the recommended portion I was actually eating. They claim you should eat 30g but I was actually eating almost 100g! That's almost 450cal berfore I even added the milk!

So. Any suggestions on good breakfast replacements which aren't going to take ages to do and will actually fill me up until lunch?

Replies

• Baker0821
    Options
    I'm seriously in love with Kashi Oatmeal! The honey cinnamon kind. It's SO good! I also love Nature's Path Blueberry oatmeal.
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    lowfat plain yogurt, sliced fruit and a sprinkle of cereal. Delicious and gives you EVERYTHING you need to start your day off right.
  • BodyWrapsGirl
    Options
    If you are going to eat cereal go with Fiber One, Special K, or Kashi. They taste great and they fill you up. You can also do oatmeal in the morning. I eat oatmeal almost every morning with a piece of fruit. Another GREAT breakfast is egg beaters, canadian bacon, and a whole wheat english muffin with some sugar free jelly.

Also, you don't want to only be eating 3 times a day. You should be eating at least 5 times a day. That will keep you from overeating and it will keep you full throughout the rest of the day. It will also jumpstart your metabolism and keep it going throughout the day. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try Kashi or Nature's Path brand cereals.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat old fashioned (5minute) oats almost every day. I usually add something to it like a serving of apple sauce, or chopped up fruit.

Kashi Good Friends cereal (trio of flakes, twigs, and granola) is REALLY filling and has a much more generous serving size. I usually can skip my mid-morning snack when I eat it. No weird ingredients in it either.
  • haydenmurphy
    Options
    A smoothie with whey protein in it is an awesome way to get some great vitamins, protein and quality calories... just be careful what you put in smoothies - they can add up in calories quick!
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    For something fast you could do yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit. I like to do that because it is easy and if I feel hungry before lunch I have a Kashi Honey Almond Flax bar or something to that nature.
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make fruit salads up the night before if I'm struggling with the breakfast options. 200gr of fruit (apple/pineapple/pear/melon. etc.). It's about 110 calories and it's more filling than most cereal. You can add nuts, dried fruit, fruit juice and still come in at less than 250 calories while being satisfied enough to start your day off.
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! You can eat it hot or cold and mix so much in with it to make it great; like fruit, nut butters, coconut, honey, brown sugar, etc. I'm sure you know how to cook it for warm but cold is so simple also.

I usually take a cup of rolled oats put it in a bowl that I can cover
    Add 1/2 cup of milk. I use almond milk but you can use any type or water even.
    Then just cover & put it in the fridge overnight & it's ready in the morning for you to add your yummy stuff too:-)

I use a cup but I usually eat that over 2 days so I eat half with my toppings.

I also sometimes add in 1/4 cup of bran oats and 1 tblsp or 2 of flax seed to add in some extra fiber and good stuff. I may or may not add extra liquid also cause that thickens it up so it just depends on how thick you want it & you can add more liquid the next day if overnight it just got too thick. It's great & versitile... very filling!
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I actually eat several of the Kashi brands. They are high in fiber and protien and really fill me up. I don't usually get hungry until lunch time. My favorites are: Kashi Go Lean Crunch - Honey, Almond, Flax (you eat 1 cup for 200 cals) or Kashi - Autumn Wheat Cereal (29 buscuits which is about 1 cup is 180 cals) or Kashi - Island Vanilla (27 biscuits which is about 1 cup is 190 cals).
    Hope this helps :)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean original is by far the best I've found.

In 1 cup/52 grams /1.8 oz (yup, that's right - one whole cup - not the 3/4 most cereals give you!) you only have 140 calories, but you get 13 grams of protein!!! and 10 grams fiber (6 g sugar). This has become both my breakfast and my afternoon snack (since their granola bars have 140 calories, but far fewer grams of protein - plus, it takes longer for me to eat the cereal (dry) than it does to scarf down a granola bar, so I feel more satisfied).

I need something very fast but nutritions in the morning, so this works very well for me.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like an egg with wholemeal toast & a piece of fruit for a nice, filling breakfast. A smoothie is great when in a hurry, or else I love low fat Greek yogurt with fruit and a handful of museli. :)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt with plain old cherrios. Special K Red Berries cereal with 1% milk (still high in sugar though). Scrambled Egg Whites (with some veggies) on a corn tortilla (yeah, I'm crazy like that). Oatmeal with a sprinkle of cinnamon and some golden delicious apple. If I'm on the run I get Subway's English Muffin Melt (Muffin, white egg, 1 slice of ham, bell peppers, onion, tomato, jalapeños and oregano) - delicious and aprox 160 calories. :bigsmile:
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CBunny5
    CBunny5 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've never heard of Kashi before. Does anyone know if it's something that I can buy in the UK?

I'd love to buy a smoothie blender too :D The only thing that puts me off is don't they have about a million parts you need to wash separately after every use?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What if you just ate one serving?

That's what I usually do.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Today I decided to actually weigh my portion of cereal to see how far off the recommended portion I was actually eating. They claim you should eat 30g but I was actually eating almost 100g! That's almost 450cal berfore I even added the milk!
    I swear either the advertisers are using smaller-than average bows or else they are deliberately misleading us :grumble:

I still have Cheerios because 30g is actually a good portion size. I ususally add some fruit (banana or strawberries) and I don't soak them in milk because I like them crunchy.

Half a Toasted bagel, cream cheese and a slice of smoked salmon is only 225 cals and if you have both halves that should fill you up till lunch when you can have some low-cal but filling soup. :happy:
  • CBunny5
    CBunny5 Posts: 17
    Options
    What if you just ate one serving?

One serving (being 30g) is really really really small. It might be that I'm just used to eating too much of it but I'd be hungry by about 9am if I ate just that
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'd love to buy a smoothie blender too :D The only thing that puts me off is don't they have about a million parts you need to wash separately after every use?

Not any more - mine was just something out of argos on special, 3 parts, all dishwasher safe. Job done :)
  • skinnimini16
    Options
    If you are going to eat cereal go with Fiber One, Special K, or Kashi. They taste great and they fill you up. You can also do oatmeal in the morning. I eat oatmeal almost every morning with a piece of fruit. Another GREAT breakfast is egg beaters, canadian bacon, and a whole wheat english muffin with some sugar free jelly.

Also, you don't want to only be eating 3 times a day. You should be eating at least 5 times a day. That will keep you from overeating and it will keep you full throughout the rest of the day. It will also jumpstart your metabolism and keep it going throughout the day. Let me know if you have any questions!
    she pretty much said all i have to say! but the eating at least 5 times a day is really important! and if you drink a lot of water it will also keep you fuller longer