Getting seasoning to stick to popcorn without butter

Options
Air popped popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. I don’t always want it plain and I love seasoning it with different things (my current obsession is everything bagel seasoning). I don’t always have enough calories left at the end of the day for butter as well, so I struggle with getting the seasoning to stick to the popcorn and it ends up at the bottom of the bowl!

What do you use to get your seasoning to stick?

And while you’re at it, what else do you like to put on your popcorn?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Don't see why not.. if it's powder.. should be able to season popcorn with it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You can hit the top with a little oil spray like Pam or similar. It does add calories but not as many as butter if you are careful. Once you season it you just want to mix it up some and it should be a slightly better eating experience.

I am afraid on your other question I am pretty boring because I like mine with just salt. My tip is to get the Amish purple popcorn if you are currently getting the standard yellow from the store because it is less chewy. I love that stuff.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

My parents had an air popper when I was a kid. You might get lucky if 1 percent of the seasoning gets caught on the pieces which leaves it very bland.

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You can hit the top with a little oil spray like Pam or similar. It does add calories but not as many as butter if you are careful. Once you season it you just want to mix it up some and it should be a slightly better eating experience.

I am afraid on your other question I am pretty boring because I like mine with just salt. My tip is to get the Amish purple popcorn if you are currently getting the standard yellow from the store because it is less chewy. I love that stuff.

Oooh thank you! I am going to try some oil spray! Thay might help a lot!

I haven’t tried the purple popcorn but I’m going to give it a try. Recently became hooked on some yellow popcorn from a farmer’s market and it’s so fluffy! I am all about trying new popcorn options!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

My parents had an air popper when I was a kid. You might get lucky if 1 percent of the seasoning gets caught on the pieces which leaves it very bland.

Air pop.. yeah.. but regular light butter is better.
  • NovusDies
    edited March 2019
    Options

I haven’t tried the purple popcorn but I’m going to give it a try. Recently became hooked on some yellow popcorn from a farmer’s market and it’s so fluffy! I am all about trying new popcorn options!

Amazon has it in a trial set.

I ate two bowls of popcorn earlier now I want a third. Shame on you for making me think about it again!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Amazon has it in a trial set.

I ate two bowls of popcorn earlier now I want a third. Shame on you for making me think about it again!

Try it with everything bagel seasoning! It. Will. Change. Your. Life.

And I am definitely ordering some of that popcorn! Looking forward to trying it!
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My kids especially like it with Bragg liquid aminos
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I mist the popped corn with a little water, vanilla and sucralose - makes it like kettle corn...

I’ve also used vinegar for more savory options.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn every day. I use Pam oil spray. Just give it a little spritz and the seasoning stays on great.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    These seasonings at about 10 calories per teaspoon are good.
    g5e77td1ay1z.png
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use Pam Olive oil or equivalent.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    We just make sure to put it on while its pipping hot still and seems to stick not too bad.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You can try the butter sprays. It doesn’t add too many calories and toppings stick better. I really like grated Parmesan. I like the everything but the bagel seasoning, but to me, the garlic is too much so I made my own leaving the garlic out.👍🏻
    Really spicy, but Franks Buffalo wing sauce is good too. I put it in a spray bottle.