Help with Calorie Goal please

Hi All,

I am a 37 year old, 4 ft 11 inches. I currently stand at 68 Kgs and with my daily diet I am only able to maintain that weight, not lose it.

I do 2-3 F45 sessions a week and about 30 min walk 4-5 times a week.

When I setup my profile in MFP with weight goal of 58, it set Calorie goal to 1400 cal roughly. Based on my current diet, if I log my worst eating days, it comes up to 1400 calories a day.

Are the goal calories correct?

Apologies if I am not clear. Please help

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    How are you measuring your food intake? Are you using a scale?
  • kirandeepm
    kirandeepm Posts: 6 Member
    How are you measuring your food intake? Are you using a scale?

I logged my diet on MFP to see what's my current intake.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Okay, but are you weighing your food?
  • kirandeepm

Most of it...yes. Not sure how to weigh Indian curries made with 1-2 tbsp of EV Olive Oil
  • kirandeepm
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    27g of olive oil (going from memory 13.5g per tbsp)
    50g curry powder
    250g potato, raw, with skin
    250g green pepper
    200g chicken breast, raw, no skin
    150g chicken thigh, raw, no skin
    15g Knorr chicken stock powder
    150ml 2% milk (very close to 1g per ml)
    Or whatever else you added in there

(Since I'm on the phone can't look up the USDA entries which are what I would suggest you use)

Once cooked weigh total.

Then assign to yourself as much as you eat

If this was a restaurant meal or something cooked by someone else guess based on a few restaurant or frozen package entries.

A few guesses wrong here and there are not going to seriously hinder your progress

Naan is also quite calorie dense and often weighs more than the packaging claims!!!

Thank you. Appreciate your inputs. 😊
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    edited March 2019
    There exists a recipe builder. That's one option to use. You can set a portion to be 1 or 10 or 100g

You can also save a "meal" and then serve yourself a fraction of it.

If the only person eating something over, say, a couple of days, you can even (horror of horrors for my suggestion) put it all in one day and log your two days as a unit (I sometimes use the entry "left overs, remains of previous meal") :wink: however this may be more suitable once you've ironed out your logging

Tablespoons of calorically dense stuff is an issue. You're better off weighing it.

I use Pam/similar spray when I cook quite often. It is not zero calories in the quantity used in cooking but it still distributes a smaller quantity of oil better than any other method I've found.

Weigh the bottle before and after use. Pretty much 90%+ of that is the weight of the oil you used--the propellant is a lot by volume but not by weight.

Paneer, gee, cream, oil and nuts are all calorically dense. Dal or cauliflower without any of that.... not as much! :smiley: roti, rice, naan also add up... a lot!
  • kirandeepm
    There exists a recipe builder. That's one option to use. You can set a portion to be 1 or 10 or 100g

If the only person eating something over, say, a couple of days, you can even (horror of horrors for my suggestion) put it all in one day and log your two days as a unit (I sometimes use the entry "left overs, remains of previous meal") :wink: however this may be more suitable once you've ironed out your logging

Tablespoons of calorically dense stuff is an issue. You're better off weighing it.

I use Pam/similar spray when I cook quite often. It is not zero calories in the quantity used in cooking but it still distributes a smaller quantity of oil better than any other method I've found.

Weigh the bottle before and after use. Pretty much 90%+ of that is the weight of the oil you used--the propellant is a lot by volume but not by weight.

Paneer, gee, cream, oil and nuts are all calorically dense. Dal or cauliflower without any of that.... not as much! :smiley: roti, rice, naan also add up... a lot!

Yeah, that's where I finding this tricky. Cook for the whole family so it's difficult to measure out portions for my self.

I don't consume any ghee, refined oil or cream or naans. Roti (homemade) counts are max 2 a day. Looks like separate controlled and easy cooking is the only option. :)

Will report back soon on how I am going. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

If you don't mind, can I add you as friend? Will share the Diary as well.
  • PAV8888
    @AnnPT77 ... I know you have a "stupid scale tricks" super post somewhere in your pocket... :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    @AnnPT77 ... I know you have a "stupid scale tricks" super post somewhere in your pocket... :smiley:

Are you thinking of this one?:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive

(Folks, the title was a lame attempt at clickbait. The thread is tips about how to use a food scale efficiently.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited March 2019
    kirandeepm wrote: »

Yeah, that's where I finding this tricky. Cook for the whole family so it's difficult to measure out portions for my self.

I don't consume any ghee, refined oil or cream or naans. Roti (homemade) counts are max 2 a day. Looks like separate controlled and easy cooking is the only option. :)

Will report back soon on how I am going. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

If you don't mind, can I add you as friend? Will share the Diary as well.

I'm Irish. I lived on an ashram in upstate New York for two years. We loved it when guest cooks came in for special holidays and made roti :)

I had home-made naan with dinner tonight. My recipe made 4 pieces which were 362 calories each, and I just have a half a piece as a serving (181 cal), but could probably drop that to a 1/4 piece (90.5 cal).

I haven't found any chicken tandoori recipes that use the same spices as Indian restaurants or my coworker's wife (who couldn't share her recipe) so I gave up and use Thai red curry paste with the yogurt. I call this Thai Tandoori Chicken.

We had this, rice (75 g cooked, about 1/2 C), naan, and broccoli for dinner tonight. Oh, and chai tea. Yum! With butter, it was 576 calories. If I wanted it to be less I would indeed have dropped the naan. But I could afford it today because I did 90 minutes of yard work earlier.

(Edited to fix calories.)
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2019
    kirandeepm wrote: »

Most of it...yes. Not sure how to weigh Indian curries made with 1-2 tbsp of EV Olive Oil

If you use the old recipe builder https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator and put in the total weight of the recipe in grams as the number of servings, then how many grams you ate as the number of servings in your food diary, it is easy to log food that you cooked for the family :)

Obviously, you need a food scale for this. My digital food scale was the best weight loss investment I ever made!
  • PAV8888
    I like weighing my food and being accurate because... well because then I can maximize how much I eat while meeting my goals!!!!

However, all one really needs to do is adjust how many calories they consume in relation to how many calories they spend in response to how their weight level changes over time :wink:

And the best way to measure one's weight level, that I've discovered, is by using a weight trend application or web site. Happy Scale for iPhone, Libra for Android, I personally use trendweight.com with a freely available without a device fitbit.com account to perform the daily weigh in data entry

As long as you successfully keeping your weight trend generally pointing in the right direction... you're winning!

<Of course logging accurately and making better choices based on what you've logged is the best way to win, in my books at least!>

TBH, when it comes to Indian cooking, I lose when the Paneer comes out... and more importantly when the orange pretzels (jalebies) and gulab jamun's come out... at that point I might as well sign up for an extra week of deficit eating while thanking my lucky stars that the Ashoka pav bhahi (without the pav) is only 240 Cal and only a couple of $'s at Walmart -- plus I feel compelled to support anything with pav in its name! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had home-made naan with dinner tonight. My recipe made 8 pieces which were 180 calories each, and I just have a half a piece as a serving.

OK: kale... let's have that naan recipe--- oops I see you're a cat now @kshama2001 !!!!

<tried, and failed miserably to make some good value for the calories (and taste) roti, couldn't get it thin enough! Then went on to making "something" using chick pea flour. It wasn't bad actually. Should make it again!>
  • kshama2001
    I had home-made naan with dinner tonight. My recipe made 8 pieces which were 180 calories each, and I just have a half a piece as a serving.

OK: kale... let's have that naan recipe--- oops I see you're a cat now @kshama2001 !!!!

<tried, and failed miserably to make some roti... made "something" using chick pea flour. It wasn't bad actually. Should make it again!>

Yes, I'm a cat now ;)

It's from the Joy of Cooking but the following is from https://cookeatshare.com/recipes/naan-from-joy-of-cooking-360745

Glad you asked because I've realized that when I put 8 servings in the recipe builder, that was a half a naan already, so I need to double my calorie count above and fix my diary!

Naan

Number of servings: 4 oval breads

Ingredients

2 C / 11 oz bread flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/8 tsp yeast, baker's
    2 Tbsp. oil or melted butter
    3/4 C yogurt (if Greek yogurt use half that amount and add water to make 3/4 C)
    1 Tbsp. water, as needed

Directions

Combine bread flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix by hand or possibly on low speed till a soft ball of dough is formed. Knead for about 10 min by hand till the dough is smooth and elastic. (I kneaded it in my food processor for a few minutes.)

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and turn it over to coat.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hrs. Punch the dough down and divide equally into 4 pcs. Roll into balls, cover, and let rest for 10 min.

Place baking stone or possibly inverted baking sheet into oven and preheat to 475 degrees for 45 minutes. Roll out each ball of dough into an oval 8 to 10 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Place the dough directly onto the baking stone or possibly sheet and bake till each oval gets puffy and just begins to turn golden brown, about 6 to 7 min. Remove from the oven and bake the remaining dough.

I cooked three in the oven and one on the stovetop, and prefer how the ones in the oven came out. However, I did not like the step of preheating the baking stone (in my case a 14" cast iron pizza pan) to 475 degrees for 45 minutes so am going to try to reduce the preheating time considerably next time.
  • kshama2001

<tried, and failed miserably to make some good value for the calories (and taste) roti, couldn't get it thin enough! Then went on to making "something" using chick pea flour. It wasn't bad actually. Should make it again!>

Recipe above :)

I was looking up roti earlier, saw that coconut roti (pol roti) is a thing in Shri Lanka, and am very interested in trying to make that!

These look good, and use wheat flour, which is the easiest type of flour to work with:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246006/pol-roti-coconut-roti/ (fresh coconut)

https://savoryspin.com/easy-sri-lankan-coconut-roti-2/ (calls for "unsweetened shredded coconut", so probably dried)
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2019

<tried, and failed miserably to make some roti... made "something" using chick pea flour. It wasn't bad actually. Should make it again!>

Yes, I'm a cat now ;)

It's from the Joy of Cooking but the following is from https://cookeatshare.com/recipes/naan-from-joy-of-cooking-360745

Glad you asked because I've realized that when I put 8 servings in the recipe builder, that was a half a naan already, so I need to double my calorie count above and fix my diary!

Naan

Ingredients

2 C / 11 oz bread flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/8 tsp yeast, baker's
    1 Tbsp. water, as needed

Directions

Combine bread flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix by hand or possibly on low speed till a soft ball of dough is formed. Knead for about 10 min by hand till the dough is smooth and elastic. (I kneaded it in my food processor for a few minutes.)

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hrs. Punch the dough down and divide equally into 4 pcs. Roll into balls, cover, and let rest for 10 min.

Place baking stone or possibly inverted baking sheet into oven and preheat to 475 degrees for 45 minutes. Roll out each ball of dough into an oval 8 to 10 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Place the dough directly onto the baking stone or possibly sheet and bake till each oval gets puffy and just begins to turn golden brown, about 6 to 7 min. Remove from the oven and bake the remaining dough.

I cooked three in the oven and one on the stovetop, and prefer how the ones in the oven came out. However, I did not like the step of preheating the baking stone (in my case a 14" cast iron pizza pan) to 475 degrees for 45 minutes so am going to try to reduce the preheating time considerably next time.

Unless you're literally using a stone (and even then) I don't see how you would need to pre-heat a metal pan for 45 minutes to get it to reach ambient temperature. Pre-heat the oven? Sure. Pre-heat the pan? Sure... but I would think a few minutes after the oven has reached temperature so has a metal pan, no?

Thank you for the recipe, BTW. Will see about trying something along those lines! :mrgreen:

Might pass your roti recipes to my downstairs neighbour who likes both coconut and baking!!! :blush:
  • kshama2001

Yes, I'm a cat now ;)

Naan

Ingredients

2 C / 11 oz bread flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/8 tsp yeast, baker's
    1 Tbsp. water, as needed

Directions

Unless you're literally using a stone (and even then) I don't see how you would need to pre-heat a metal pan for 45 minutes to get it to reach ambient temperature. Pre-heat the oven? Sure. Pre-heat the pan? Sure... but I would think a few minutes after the oven has reached temperature so has a metal pan, no?

Thank you for the recipe, BTW. Will see about trying something along those lines! :mrgreen:

Right, I would not have preheated a metal pan. When I had a pizza stone I did preheat that. I wasn't sure what to do with the cast iron pan. Next time I will just let it preheat with the oven and see how that goes.

Enjoy!
  • PAV8888
    hmm I wonder how that second roti would change by using some coconut flour and more water instead of the shredded coconut... hmmm....