"You don't need to lose any more" - "You don't want to be too thin"

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    People just don't know what they're talking about. Ignore them. I probably had at least 25 left to goal, well above my BMI range, when I started hearing this. I just thanked them and kept pursuing my goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    5'5", started hearing comments around 150, on way to current 130s. It's partly people not being used to seeing us thinner, as others have said, or being used to fatness as a norm generally.

But, at least in my case, I think there was a phase where in the last stages of loss (at a reasonable rate) and early days of maintenance, I did look a little more haggard, even to myself. I think this part was about facial skin being a little loose at first but shrinking more in maintenance; and maybe about what happens with some glycogen replenishment/water-weight fullness after adjusting to maintenance calories for a bit.

Regardless, my weight is nobody's business but my own (and maybe my doctor's).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    5'5", currently around 170 lbs. When I started I was at 240. I've been at this weight for a few years and if I make the mistake of mentioning losing a bit more weight (I usually try not to talk about it), I get "you don't need to lose any more weight. You'll blow away!" All righty then.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've only heard those comments from people who were overweight themselves - I have not heard those comments from fit, healthy people.

Take a moment to think (and look at) who is making those comments. Are they likely to be someone who has a good idea of what "healthy" is, or not? Their friends and family can be another indication...if they are all "plump" then a normal weight will look "too thin" to them, especially on someone who they are used to looking like themselves.

I’ve gotten the comments from fit people. I was pretty shocked by it too. One was an old boss of mine who had made no comments about my loss and then out of the blue they said, “you done losing weight yet?” I didn’t quite know what to say.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've gotten it once or twice so far, only when I let it slip that I am still working on losing, I try not to talk about my weight loss. One was from a co-worker who's fit and tends to "Mom" other co-workers a bit so I took the comment as her just being a Mom and making sure I don't overdo it. I normally just tell people I am really good at picking out clothes that are flattering, which is true. I'm 5'2" with a goal of 125 and currently at 150 so still a ways to go.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    When the topic of my weight loss has come up at work and I mention wanting to lose more the most I have received in response is "Well even if you don't lose more weight you look great as is!" which I simply take as a compliment. I am now in a normal BMI range working to get down to where I feel more comfortable. All of my family has been supportive and only one aunt has told me I should not lose more or I will be "too skinny". I just brush it off and steer the conversation elsewhere. There really is no point trying to defend my decision when I know nothing will change her mind.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am blaming it on my doctor and physical therapist. Once I start listing all the medical reasons that I need to lose a little more, they get bored and drop it.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for about 8 months now, and only started getting comments about it in the last 3 months.

I think it might be because when I found I was maintaining and not regaining I had the confidence to spend a bit of money on clothes and get rid of some poorly fitting items - therefore I suddenly look a lot slimmer than I did because I'm not in oversized stuff. It's odd to get "have you lost more weight!! You don't need to lose more" from someone you only saw in December and you are exactly the same weight. I just remember that the last time they saw me I was in a big jumper and jeans two sizes too big held up with a belt :D
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    "you don't need to lose any more weight. You'll blow away!" All righty then.

True story... we had a storm the other month, and I nearly did blow away :D
    I'm so used to not worrying about gusts of wind I nearly had my legs out from under me on a station platform coming home from work :o

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’ve gotten the “you don’t need to lose any more weight because you are thin” but that’s it. It started when I was just above a healthy BMI and about 10lb from goal
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »
    I am blaming it on my doctor and physical therapist. Once I start listing all the medical reasons that I need to lose a little more, they get bored and drop it.

Yes, I'd go with the Appeal to Authority as well ;)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I find that I only get those comments from people who are overweight.
  • Monkeyfreck
    Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Listen very, very carefully from 0:45

https://youtu.be/ouPe97YS2vc?t=45
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

aes1219 wrote: »

5'5 was 182 lbs right before delivering my son in December. Am now 138 lbs and I have been receiving these comments since I was around 150 lbs. I still am wanting to get down to 125-130 lbs.

Im same height as you and 156 today. Once I hit the 150s I get comments how "thin" I look. I think it's how I am built. Maybe the same for you. I am very evenly distributed. I lose weight all over evenly. So yeah, I do look pretty ok at 150. And I can only imagine how I would look at 138

I'm 5'6, 150 is my comfort zone but according to many web-pages I could go lower.
    Bottom line is I do look thinner...because I am!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I didn't really get too many of these, but the go-to answer I would say was: "My doctor is aware of my goal and is very happy with my progress. Thanks for asking."

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Listen very, very carefully from 0:45

https://youtu.be/ouPe97YS2vc?t=45

I'm gullible (plus curious), so I watched.

If that seems inspirational or insightful . . . well, you do you, and more power to you, sincerely. (We're all different, when it comes to what moves us.)

But who thinks it's a good idea (non-creepy) to name his channel "50 Shades of Gains", BTW? :lol: