advice on clothes that no longer fit

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
what do y'all do?? pitch them as they become too baggy? I'm a borderline hoarder so throwing things away is a problem, but i now have pants that FALL OFF without a belt. not good. would you keep them 'just in case' or is that defeatist? should I go full steam ahead and take them to goodwill?

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If they're still good, definitely take them to goodwill!
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru that same problem....nothing fits anymore! but i plan on getting rid of all of it soon as I get some money to replace them. Don't want to slack off just b/c i know I still have my "big" clothes stored away somewhere.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'd goodwill those clothes, pass along to someone else in need!

Or, if they are in good shape you could consider garage sale or taking them to a consignment type shop that would buy them and resale
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I refuse to buy new clothes until I no longer fit in any of my clothes in my closet! Currently the only work pants that fit are extremely loose so when I walk, I literally have to hang on to them! For the mean time, this will do for me until I can fit well into my other pants lol!
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    When I dropped sizes, I gave my clothes to a larger friend and Goodwill. I'm sooo close to a size 12. Can't wait to be able to ditch the 14s!!!
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    Fortunately I was only very big for 3 months max. I bought two new pairs of jeans then (size 14 US) which I have now donated!! :)

However I did buy some US size 12 ralph lauren work shirts ...which I've kept although they look like they are my boyfriends. I wear them with tight pants it looks pretty sick still! :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    i have donated lots, sold some because they were brand new, and kept 1 pair of fat jeans. I try them on and can't believe it.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to donate the clothes that are in good shape. I divide my stuff into: donate, give away, toss and car washing rags.
    I knew someone who made a quilt, but I'm not at all crafty.
  • jerber160
    Options
    so it seems everybody gets rid of them as soon as they can and not keep them around.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Donate them! Don't throw them out. I know Big Brothers/Big Sisters will do a pick up of used clothing right at your house in many areas. Or the Good Will, Salvation Army, local homeless shelter! There are so many people in need who would love to have your clothes.

Congratulations!
  • jerber160
    Options
    chill jag... it's a question of keeping them in the house in case i balloon again or not...
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like getting rid of them...giving to goodwill....Mine are starting to get big but I can still wear them...I wear some 14's but can fit into some 12's...Heck I even have a pair of Calvin Klein jeans size 16 that fit....just goes to show how different sizing can be!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely take them to Goodwill or the like! Hanging on to them is giving in to that small voice in your head that thinks you'll fail. Slap that voice out of your head and move on with your success!!

The only thing I've kept is one pair of dress pants for that ultimate before/after pictures that shows how far I've come. I may even have a burning ceremony like another MFP member did once I get to goal. Wait, to be 100% honest, I also have a few bigger t-shirts to sleep and/or clean the house in. Everything donate-able (3 big bags worth so far) has gone to Goodwill and the rest have either gone in the trash or in the rag bag.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is also on a weight loss journey and a couple of sizes bigger than me. I have been passing them on to her because she is a single mother working 2 jobs and has a hard time making ends meet. I'm happy to be able to pass them onto her as she continues to lose weight too
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Seems like keeping them around in case you fail allows failure to be an option. Is it?
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I kept my favorite pair of "fat jeans" for me to see my own progress, and donated the rest. I bought some pants in smaller sizes than I can't wear yet as motivation. I like trying them on and gradually being able to fit into them. Clearance sales and Goodwill are great for this.

By donating the clothes they are going to someone who can use them now. Keeping them means no one is wearing them. I made a friend happy by giving her some of my clothes, and supported a charity with the rest. Make yourself feel good by getting rid of them. :flowerforyou:
  • CatherineMH
    CatherineMH Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost enough weight yet to have this "problem", but I certainly plan on donating my clothes as they no longer fit. I want to say goodbye to being fat forever and I think that I'm the type of person who will let myself slip if I know I could always throw on my big clothes.

Congrats to you! It must be a great feeling.
  • jerber160
    Options
    webdiva---just practicality. if I go boom again i won't have to buy more clothes.
  • jerber160
    Options
    just found pants i'd put away for making me look like a snausage. THEY FIT!!! WUHUUU ... thank god I didn't get rid of them..
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I`m actualy in the process of bagging all my 16 and 14`s up right now to take to the salvation army drop off (so donation is my option) . So happy to be in 12`s that I don`t want to even look at the larger sizes anymore and can`t wait to get into the 10`s :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!