Maintaining after a diet.

2»

Replies

• WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hi

I’ve lost 31 pounds since I started using this app in July and am 2 pounds away from my goal.

Currently on 1290 calories and set to loose 1 pound a week.

I think I’m ready to look at maintaining now but am so scared to add calories back. I’m kinda really used to my current intake. I’m not starving. But if I set to maintain it goes up to 1800 and I don’t think I want to or even can go that high. I wanna stay as I am now and not put it all back on.

This is the first time I’ve lost this much weight and I’m so proud to be back to pre kids shape.

Are you losing about 1 lb/week at your current intake? Are you eating back any exercise calories? How accurate is your logging?

Its usually recommended to ease into maintenance and slow down weight loss by changing your goal to 0.5 lb/week when you get within 20 or so pounds of your target. This also helps preserve lean body mass by not losing more than your current fat stored can reasonably support. Plus it gives you practice eating a few more calories, 250, and can help minimize the short term rebound weight gain that people often see when they switch rapidly to maintenance.

Looking at last month, I’ve lost 4 pounds. I try to end each day at +/- 50 calories left which includes a few extra calories from the iPhone step counting.

And I log everything that passes my lips. It’s become an obsession if I’m honest 😕
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hi

I’ve lost 31 pounds since I started using this app in July and am 2 pounds away from my goal.

Currently on 1290 calories and set to loose 1 pound a week.

I think I’m ready to look at maintaining now but am so scared to add calories back. I’m kinda really used to my current intake. I’m not starving. But if I set to maintain it goes up to 1800 and I don’t think I want to or even can go that high. I wanna stay as I am now and not put it all back on.

This is the first time I’ve lost this much weight and I’m so proud to be back to pre kids shape.

Are you losing about 1 lb/week at your current intake? Are you eating back any exercise calories? How accurate is your logging?

Its usually recommended to ease into maintenance and slow down weight loss by changing your goal to 0.5 lb/week when you get within 20 or so pounds of your target. This also helps preserve lean body mass by not losing more than your current fat stored can reasonably support. Plus it gives you practice eating a few more calories, 250, and can help minimize the short term rebound weight gain that people often see when they switch rapidly to maintenance.

Looking at last month, I’ve lost 4 pounds. I try to end each day at +/- 50 calories left which includes a few extra calories from the iPhone step counting.

And I log everything that passes my lips. It’s become an obsession if I’m honest 😕

That’s really good! Having accurate logging and losing at the predicted rate means you can feel confident I the calorie projections of MFP.

Change your weight loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week. This should take you to 1540. Keep doing exactly what you’re doing but add in something small. Could be a treat you’ve been restricting or just a little bigger portions of things you’re already eating. Cook with full fat oil or add butter, cheese, mayo, something like that. Put some peanut butter on a banana instead of eating it plain.

Do that for several weeks and track your continued progress. When you get to your goal, consider if you want to maintain a weight range, vs a specific number. This is helpful since weight naturally fluctuates.

There’s a maintaining weight Forum, check it out for more tips.
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    Just curious, but are you measuring your food and/or slacking on exercise? What I've found over the years, people are diligent about hitting their goals and they are very consistent with diet and exercise. After they hit their goal, they become lax on their diet or exercise and slowly creep back to the way they used to be....their diet and not exercising as consistently. One thing to keep reminding yourself of is that this a lifestyle change, meaning it is a permanent change, otherwise you regress and start playing yo-yo.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Wait a minute....they still make Mars bars?

In the UK you can get protein Mars Bars!

Cheers, h.
    (They are not as good as regular)

I think the Mars bar outside the United States = our Milky Way bar... a quick Google returned:
    In 1932, Forrest Mars, son of American candy maker Frank C. Mars, rented a factory in Slough and with a staff of twelve people, began manufacturing a chocolate bar consisting of nougat and caramel covered in milk chocolate (using Cadbury's chocolate couverture), modeled after his father's Milky Way bar, which was already popular in the US
    The worldwide Mars bar differs from that sold in the US. The American version was discontinued in 2002 and was replaced with the slightly different Snickers Almond featuring nougat, almonds, and a milk chocolate coating.
    In September 2016, Ethel M Chocolates, a gourmet chocolate subsidiary of Mars, Inc. launched the 'original American recipe' of the Mars Bar in their stores and on Amazon.com. Unlike Snickers Almond and later incarnations of the American Mars bar, this bar does not contain caramel.

Lot's more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(chocolate_bar)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    We can get both Mars bars and Milky Ways here in Australia and they are not the same.

They are both chocolate bars but quite different to each other.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Same in the UK both Mars Bar and Milky Way have nougat but Mars Bar also has caramel and is usually a bit bigger.
  • LC_8U2
    LC_8U2 Posts: 26 Member
    AKDiscer wrote: »
    Just curious, but are you measuring your food and/or slacking on exercise? What I've found over the years, people are diligent about hitting their goals and they are very consistent with diet and exercise. After they hit their goal, they become lax on their diet or exercise and slowly creep back to the way they used to be....their diet and not exercising as consistently. One thing to keep reminding yourself of is that this a lifestyle change, meaning it is a permanent change, otherwise you regress and start playing yo-yo.

Have you just been reading my bio