Calorie counting question!

Options
Isra_1
Isra_1 Posts: 44 Member
So my auntie brought some homemade carrot cupcakes. Since i had some calories left from the day, i decided to have one. But trying to log it in now, and there are so many options with a drastic difference of calories. The lowest one says190kcals (it said homemade in the description). And the highest went upto 390kcals. There was another of trader joe's that said 690, but they have icing on their cupcakes so I've ignored that since mine was plain. But idk what to enter!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You just have to take your best guess.
  • Isra_1
    Options
    qsjp7pgodqag.jpg
  • Isra_1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You just have to take your best guess.[/quote
    I'm scared to make a wrong guess :/ But yeah, thats probably what I'll have to do 😧
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I would ask your aunt for the recipe and enter it into the recipe builder. If that's not possible then just make your best guess. It's not like you are eating these cupcakes frequently. It is good to get your logging as accurate as possible, but it is never going to be perfect.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yep, unfortunately stuff like that all you can do is guess. That one is pretty small, so I'd take an entry on the lower end but not the lowest. I tend to look for entries with a brand name and with more than the calories filled in, as I guess that might suggest the info was obtained from a manufacturer, not a random person making some oddly unique muffin :smile:

As you get more experienced in logging and weighing stuff, these guesses become easier!
  • Isra_1
    Options
    Yeah true that my estimates are never going to be 100%! Thankyou for the input everyone!
  • Isra_1
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    if it's homemade, i often look for a betty crocker or duncan hines.

Thankyou! Thats pretty helpful! Maybe i'll search for these!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I look at the range of items in the database.
    1. Rule out any that are stupid high or stupid low
    2. Look at the ones that are left
    3. Pick one that's not the highest but in the upper 1/3 to be safe.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    150 cals
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Assuming that's an adult's hand, I'd say between 160 and 200 kcal.

This was brought to your house, you could get a better estimate by weighing it. Most of the variation in calories in baked goods of the same type (assuming that the entries are accurate to begin with) are going to come from differences in size (weight).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    if it's homemade, i often look for a betty crocker or duncan hines.

And if its from a cafeteria-style place I"ll look for Aramark or Cisco.