How much water is nessesary to remove sodium

I’m constantly retaining salt. I’m 5 foot 193. How much water should I drink a day to get rid of the extra salt water retention?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    What they said, but also, sodium is essential. Having very low sodium levels is unpleasant to say the least.

Definitely, sodium is an essential nutrient and it's possible to reach "toxic" levels of water intake through electrolyte depletion. It's generally very hard with our modern diets, which tend to be very high in salt, but if someone tried too hard to both reduce salt and increase water, they can definitely suffer some ill effects. Definitely much more common in those with heart or kidney problems, but still possible.

Yeah this. I have depleted my own electrolytes before and it was bad. It happened when I was working an an ICU unit of a hospital. It was winter so I was wearing sweaters and I had to wear a lab coat on top of that, then to top it all off the ICU was kept VERY warm to keep patients with poor circulation comfortable. II was also on my feet running around all day which caused me to sweat a lot so I was drinking A LOT of water to cool myself down and stay hydrated. All of those factors combined depleted my electrolytes and I ended up passing out. But I guess if you are going to pass out a hospital is the best place to do it? :D

The point being do not try and flush out water weight, your body knows what it's doing.

Lol you don't have to go far! Ah yes, sweating a lot is definitely the easiest way to lose electrolytes. We sweat out a lot of salt. At least you'll know to go for a sports drink of some sort to replenish if it happens again in the future.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    What they said, but also, sodium is essential. Having very low sodium levels is unpleasant to say the least.

Definitely, sodium is an essential nutrient and it's possible to reach "toxic" levels of water intake through electrolyte depletion. It's generally very hard with our modern diets, which tend to be very high in salt, but if someone tried too hard to both reduce salt and increase water, they can definitely suffer some ill effects. Definitely much more common in those with heart or kidney problems, but still possible.

its actually not as hard as you think - there have been several peoples on this board over the years who have developed hyponeutremia from drinking too much water in their quest to lose weight; most commonly you see it at athletic events when people drink so much water (and they get "sloshy belly") - its bad juju

Very true, I didn't think of athletes until sweating was brought up. Water is a real killer, yo.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member

Yeah this. I have depleted my own electrolytes before and it was bad. It happened when I was working an an ICU unit of a hospital. It was winter so I was wearing sweaters and I had to wear a lab coat on top of that, then to top it all off the ICU was kept VERY warm to keep patients with poor circulation comfortable. II was also on my feet running around all day which caused me to sweat a lot so I was drinking A LOT of water to cool myself down and stay hydrated. All of those factors combined depleted my electrolytes and I ended up passing out. But I guess if you are going to pass out a hospital is the best place to do it? :D

The point being do not try and flush out water weight, your body knows what it's doing.

Lol you don't have to go far! Ah yes, sweating a lot is definitely the easiest way to lose electrolytes. We sweat out a lot of salt. At least you'll know to go for a sports drink of some sort to replenish if it happens again in the future.

Yes I have definitely learned my lesson! This job was quite a few years ago, right after I graduated college so I didn't know any better lol. Looking back there were definitely signs before I fainted; I got constant calf cramps (MAJOR sign of low electrolytes) but I attributed that to walking up 8 flights of stairs several times a day. I also had a headache for a few days that would not go away no matter what I did.

For the remainder of time I was at that job I brought Gatorade with me everyday and made sure to eat a couple bananas for extra potassium.

Nothing makes you quite as embarrassed as having to be wheeled across the hospital to the ER with the tube feed you were holding when you fell all over you and in your hair while a gaggle of your coworkers and patients stare at you. :s
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I’m constantly retaining salt. I’m 5 foot 193. How much water should I drink a day to get rid of the extra salt water retention?

I think you are thinking of flushing it out after one day or a few with higher than normal sodium, that is when you can "get rid of" the water weight. if your sodium is always high, either lower sodium intake, or increase potassium intake, as water retention has more to do with the sodium/potassium balance than it does with the actual intake of either.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you have a problem that needs fixing you need to see a doctor. If you are trying to control the bathroom scale please don't. You are meant to go up and down on water weight. It is a natural function.

It is a bad idea to get too caught up in a number on the bathroom scale. It can lead to poor decisions like many of us believe you are trying to make. If you feel obsessed with it you should see a doctor because it is unhealthy. Basically when the scale goes up or fails to go down for a period of time you can dislike it but shortly thereafter you need to be able to let it go.