Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Drinking enough water has many benefits, though. The key is what does “enough” mean. There are so many different “expert” opinions about this. Some say 8 glasses a day, but I had a trainer tell me 1 gallon

You just want enough to stay hydrated, it'll vary from day to day. Urine color is the best way to tell.

902f3511afb25b6aa2171210f391506f.jpg

Urine charts are about as useless as the food pyramid. Also depends on how many vitamins you are taking in and so much more.

Don’t know if I would go so far as “useless”, but the correlation is likely weaker than commonly thought.

https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000297
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Drinking enough water has many benefits, though. The key is what does “enough” mean. There are so many different “expert” opinions about this. Some say 8 glasses a day, but I had a trainer tell me 1 gallon

You just want enough to stay hydrated, it'll vary from day to day. Urine color is the best way to tell.

902f3511afb25b6aa2171210f391506f.jpg

Urine charts are about as useless as the food pyramid. Also depends on how many vitamins you are taking in and so much more.

I don't know why people woo-ed this post this many times.... I couldn't agree more...the chart is...maybe a guideline at the most... If I had to dilute the color of all the vitamin B I'm taking, I'd be drowning....
    If in doubt, have the hydration level...and the kidneys, while you're at it...checked by a doctor...
    Best of luck!
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    @Jenniferanderson3888, Everyone needs a balance of sodium, water and fiber. Soluble fiber and water are necessary to form a soft bulky stool for regularity. The correct amount of sodium is necessary to retain enough water to supply the fiber and keep the body hydrated. Constipation is a sign of not enough water and/or fiber. Supple, elastic skin is a sign of adequate hydration. Dry, ashy skin is a sign of dehydration. Swelled ankles, feet and fingers are signs of too much water, probably due to too much sodium or insufficient fiber. Too much water translates to increased blood volume, which can tax the heart and increase blood pressure. Coffee and sports drinks are diuretics and cause you to pass water rather than retain it. The signs mentioned should tell you if you have the correct balance.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    What they said, but also, sodium is essential. Having very low sodium levels is unpleasant to say the least.

Definitely, sodium is an essential nutrient and it's possible to reach "toxic" levels of water intake through electrolyte depletion. It's generally very hard with our modern diets, which tend to be very high in salt, but if someone tried too hard to both reduce salt and increase water, they can definitely suffer some ill effects. Definitely much more common in those with heart or kidney problems, but still possible.

its actually not as hard as you think - there have been several peoples on this board over the years who have developed hyponeutremia from drinking too much water in their quest to lose weight; most commonly you see it at athletic events when people drink so much water (and they get "sloshy belly") - its bad juju

Yes, it's a dangerous condition. I've read an article few days ago about college student- athlete died from it, his body just went into seizures and they couldn't save him. Electrolytes are essential to functioning of all of our organs and systems. There's a balance that should be minded, like everything else.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    What they said, but also, sodium is essential. Having very low sodium levels is unpleasant to say the least.

Definitely, sodium is an essential nutrient and it's possible to reach "toxic" levels of water intake through electrolyte depletion. It's generally very hard with our modern diets, which tend to be very high in salt, but if someone tried too hard to both reduce salt and increase water, they can definitely suffer some ill effects. Definitely much more common in those with heart or kidney problems, but still possible.

its actually not as hard as you think - there have been several peoples on this board over the years who have developed hyponeutremia from drinking too much water in their quest to lose weight; most commonly you see it at athletic events when people drink so much water (and they get "sloshy belly") - its bad juju

Yes, it's a dangerous condition. I've read an article few days ago about college student- athlete died from it, his body just went into seizures and they couldn't save him. Electrolytes are essential to functioning of all of our organs and systems. There's a balance that should be minded, like everything else.

And don't forget the poor mom who did it to herself trying to win a game for her kid, radio show held a competition to drink the most water.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Whoever woo'ed that, it's a true story. I used to listen to the station and it was a huge news item at the time.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

As someone who had been hospitalized for an electrolyte imbalance I second this. It was a horrible experience. Over hydration was a big contributor to this happening.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think the chart is useful for an average person to have a daily mindfulness of hydration. It might signal "danger" more than necessary, but if your urine is dark it can't hurt to have another glass of water. Just don't panic based on it.

As far as vitamins, I doubt the average person is taking enough vitamins for it to be a problem, and obviously if you are taking something that will change your urine color, a chart on the internet shouldn't override that.

If you typically have urine in the darker colors on the chart, and feel like you have to drink way too much water to change it, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a check up and mention it to your doctor. That way you'll know if you are chronically dehydrated, have an undiagnosed condition, or if there is a perfectly normal explanation like supplements.

FYI, standard amounts of certain B vitamins will change your urine color. Not long after just one dose of my B complex and my pee is # 4 on the chart.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think the chart is useful for an average person to have a daily mindfulness of hydration. It might signal "danger" more than necessary, but if your urine is dark it can't hurt to have another glass of water. Just don't panic based on it.

As far as vitamins, I doubt the average person is taking enough vitamins for it to be a problem, and obviously if you are taking something that will change your urine color, a chart on the internet shouldn't override that.

If you typically have urine in the darker colors on the chart, and feel like you have to drink way too much water to change it, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a check up and mention it to your doctor. That way you'll know if you are chronically dehydrated, have an undiagnosed condition, or if there is a perfectly normal explanation like supplements.

FYI, standard amounts of certain B vitamins will change your urine color. Not long after just one dose of my B complex and my pee is # 4 on the chart.

Yeah, me, too. But I feel like the B vitamin effect is more neon yellow, and mild dehydration (for me) a little more dark rather than day-glo, but I'd have no idea how to show that clearly on a chart. Experience and observation, though . . . .

Agreed. It is very easy for me to see the difference between the two. It is also impossible for me to be running clear and a hour later be dehydrated during a normal sedentary work day in a climate controlled office.