Got Weighed at Doc's; Breaking Down

Options
TouchofWrath
TouchofWrath Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hey.
Some of you may recognize me from my posts I've made months ago, others may not.
I have been working out since early December; I do cardio 3-5 times a week, with weight training every other day. I have also been eating healthier, doing my best to stay around 1200 calories; I don't avoid any foods, other than meat, but that's due to being pescatarian. I have avoided looking at the scale for the last few months due to fear of what it would say. I have struggled with an Eating Disorder in the past, and still struggle from disordered thinking.

Today, after about 4 months of not knowing my weight, I discovered it at the doctor. I am devastated.

My new doctor, as sweet as she is, lied to me. I didn't look at my weight when she weighed me, but I did ask her if I was a healthy weight for my height (5ft 1/2 inch) and she said "Absolutely, you are at a great weight." i was so happy. But then I got the paper work back (which I had meant to ask her to cross out) and I saw it; I weighed 133 lbs. I started at 127, and was hoping to go back down to my previous weight of 120 or even 115. Now I am overweight.

I am disgusting, ashamed, and confused. I don't understand where I went wrong. Even if I were to be generous and take off two pounds for "clothes" (I didn't eat before the doc's, and had gone to the bathroom before that), it is still too much. I didn't expect to lose weight fast, I didn't expect to be 110 lbs or anything. But I was hoping to have at least lost some weight, even a pound. But instead I gained it. I honestly thought I was losing weight because my stomach seemed to be shrinking, my legs seemed thinner (not my thighs, which sucks but whatever), my jawline has become clearer, and clothes are fitting better (for the most part)

I feel myself falling apart. And before anyone says anything YES I am officially seeking behavioral and psychological health (I have an appointment next Friday as well); but just cuz I'm seeking help there doesn't mean I don't want the support of others. Just b/c I'm getting health doesn't automatically make me "healed" or without bad thoughts. I want support, which is what this forum is for; I want kind words and explanations to why things may be going the way they are. I am afraid I am going to give up, which I don't want to but... what's the point of doing this if I'm just going to get fatter... and I'm sure I'll get some person who says "Well muscle weighs more than fat" but it really doesn't. A pound does not weigh more than a pound.

Why is this happening to me? It seems really messed up and doesn't make sense... has anyone else struggled with this? How can i encourage myself to keep moving forward...

TL;DR Been working out and eating healthier for months, but doctor's scale says I have gained a lot of weight. What's going on, and how can I encourage myself not to give up? How can I lose more weight rather than gain?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Curious, have you asked these questions to your therapist? What did he/she say in response?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The doctor's scales have always weighed me 5 or 6 lbs heavier than what my own scales weigh. I have two sets of scales in my house and they will weigh me 2 or 3 lbs different. Scales are just different. If you have a scale at home just start out again and try to track using the same scale every time.
  • TouchofWrath
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Curious, have you asked these questions to your therapist? What did he/she say in response?

I haven't felt the need to bring it up lately b/c I felt like I was doing okay. She agreed that it was okay to avoid the scale since it risks triggering me into a meltdown. I won't see her again til next friday. I'm sure she'll say some bs about needing to accept my body for what it is.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If clothes are fitting better and you are working out, you are winning!!
    My scale is off 3-4 pounds from the doctors office scale. Ive weighed myself before I left my house to go to the doctors office, without drinking or eating, I weigh more there.

Ive struggled with eating disorders for a long time. Seeing the number on the scale is really hard for me. It can trigger a binge. An example of how messed up weight is. In February I ate at my calories every single day. I stayed in a 3 pound range the entire month. First week of march I lost 3 pounds without making any changes. My weight has been the same the rest of march. I should steadily be losing a pound every week. But it doesn't actually work that way. The mental side of all of this is the real struggle. Good luck, you can do this!! Try to ignore the scale
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 to 7 pounds if I just look at a big plate of food! Take a deep breath... ahhhhhhh

You are putting value into the 133 reading without considering the variables - scale to scale repeatability, time of day, hormonal influences, your clothes, food and water intake, etc... You got a snapshot of a single point in time, not a trend or accurate comparison.

Health is not just a number of the scale. You feel good, your clothes fit, you've noticed positive physical changes - focus on these aspects instead of that value you didn't want to see in the first place.

I encourage you to discuss it openly with your therapist.

• InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You are correct that a pound is a pound, however, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. So if you are doing weight training it stands to reason that your clothes are fitting better even if the scales don't show you the number that you would like to see. Don't let a number on the scales dictate your happiness, if you feel good and you are being active then you shouldn't let a number destroy that. (I understand that's easier said than done, but good news is it CAN be done!)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The difference between 127 and 133 can absolutely be explained by using two different scales, wearing different clothes, time of day, time of month, and food and drink in your system. If you drink a 32 oz bottle of water you gain two pounds temporarily. If you ate a meal with lots of sodium and worked out the day before, that can cause a jump of several pounds, easy.

If your clothes fit better and you look better, that is reality. Trust that, it’s more important than the number on the scale which can be affected by so many factors.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Was your starting weight on the same scale?
    Were you weighed in similar clothes?
    were you weighed around the same time of day?
    were you weighed at the same point in your monthly cycle?

If one or more of those things were different, you are comparing apples to oranges.
    have you taken measurements?
    how do your clothes fit?
    Do you weigh all solid foods you eat? and make sure it is the correct entry?
    Do you measure all liquids consumed, other than water?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

If one or more of those things were different, you are comparing apples to oranges.
    how do your clothes fit?

With respect, I’m not sure suggesting obsessing over measuring portions is helpful to someone recovering from an ED.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

how do your clothes fit?

With respect, I’m not sure suggesting obsessing over measuring portions is helpful to someone recovering from an ED.

Only asking as you don't know you are eating in a deficit, as she claimed to be unless you actually did that... and I didn't suggest she do that, I asked if she was doing that.
  • TouchofWrath
    Options

how do your clothes fit?

My starting weight was on my home scale.
    I usually weight myself w/o clothes, but ya can't really do that at the doc's. But as i said, clothes typically only take 1.5-2 lbs... even taking that off it isn't acceptable.
    Yea, just around the same time. Early in the morning.
    Honestly, don't know about the monthly cycle thing. I used to weigh myself every day before I started working out though, and I stayed between 126-127 for a while.

I haven't measured my body in a while. While I want to, I am now scared to.
    Most of my clothes fit better. I need a bigger bra b/c I've, seemingly, lost fat on my rib cage but not in my boobs (which is lucky, actually). I also was toning up my thighs and butt (it's a girl thing?) so my underwear would be a bit tighter, but not in a bad way?
    I don't "weigh" my food, but I do measure it (if possible) with cups. I do include drinks with my calorie intake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You can't weigh yourself on two different scales and draw any kind of useful info from the difference in the two.

I weigh a different weight on my home scale, my doctor's scale, my mom's scale, and the scale at the blood donation place. We're talking differences of up to 10 lbs.

You should definitely talk to your therapist about this, because you shouldn't feel disgusted or ashamed over 5-6 lbs. I've gained that much water weight overnight more than once. I think it's clear that monitoring the scale is still not a good idea for you. If you thought you were looking and feeling better, what the scale says is practically immaterial anyway - you don't walk around with your scale weight written on your forehead :smile:

Please just keep doing the good things you were doing for yourself, and hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My doctors scale weighs me five lb heavier than at home. Always has. I just shrug it off. I don’t care which number is correct as long as my favorites clothes fit.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Given your workout schedule, especially if you're doing weight training, I agree with the posters above that the differences can be explained between the differences in scales and your workout regime.

You've said that your clothes fit better, and you've noticed changes in particular areas that would be difficult to classify as negative. I'd said you're re-comping, and doing a fine job of it from the sounds of things.

A tape measure might be a better friend to you than a scale at this point. If your measurements are remaining reasonably steady, and your overall energy levels are good, all is well. Listen to your body and be gentle with yourself . <3
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you weighed your clothes to determine they were only 1-2lbs?
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've seen my weight go up 8lb from my scales at home to the doctors three hours later. Only difference being clothes and cups of herbal tea. There are some great articles out there about the effect of hydration, time of day, hormones (affecting the amount of water retention) on your weight. A metal box DOES NOT ELIMINATE every success that you have sweated over and worked for.
  • lindsey2685
    lindsey2685 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clothing contributes to weight more than you think, so when you weigh in at the doctor, you will weigh more than if you weigh in at home sans clothes. Since you’re weight training, muscle is more dense than fat. You could have replaced fat with muscle, meaning you have may lost inches, but gained a few pounds. Also, if you ate or drank at all before going to the doctors that will affect your weight. If you’re looking at BMI for determining “overweight,” I don’t think that’s always a good indicator. The other day I saw a post from someone of before and after pics (similar body type to mine at start) and it took her 17 months to get where she is now (which is close to how I want to look). I have been working out for a while, but not really seeing the results that I want. I didn’t realize it might take 17 months to get there. I think that things just take a lot longer than we expect them to sometimes.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My home scale always weighs me 8-10 lbs less than my doctor's scale.