how do you guys feel about public food diaries?

Options

Replies

• countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Helps to keep me accountable. I know something isnt good or im tempted, Ill think about ppl looking at my diary & seeing it & i wont eat it! . i keep it open so that i can get critqued (?spelling), i have very supportive friends on here & i know they all mean well! Have never had any bad comments. It did however take me a few weeks to open it. My best friend had hers open & so i opened mine. her strength helped me to open mine.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Mine's open - if a stranger wanted to read it and felt the need to message me about it then I really wouldn't mind - ultimately that kind of thing is all supportive!
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have mine public as it gives me a little more incentive to do well. I always track even when I've eaten like a whale and I've never had any negative comments. I would only expect someone to comment on it if I had asked them too. I love looking at other peoples diaries for inspiration and to see how my diet compares to that of others which is probably just down to me being nosey!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Mine's public. No one's ever said anything about it (good or bad). If people are going to ask for advice though, they ought to make their food log public. I don't comment on any threads where people are asking for advice but when I click on their profile the first thing I see is no public food log.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have mine public, because it is helpful to me. I find that when I am willing to share, others are too, and I like the ideas I can glean from others...No one has ever made a negative comment, and like another member stated, when someone is under all the time, and not doing as well as they want, and ask for help, I really don't know how to help when I don't know what they are doing. Some of my friends have public, and some have private. Each person has to be comfortable with what they do......I like to think that someone checking my diary might find some helpful patterns that might benefit them. I try to incorporate the things I've learned not just into better eating habits, but exercise patterns as well......When I feel comfortable with my efforts, I am able to feel open to the examination of my choices by others....I never make all the best choices, but I do the best I can, and feel good about it...Look if you want, for whatever reason, it mattereth not to me!

If we are willing to support and share with each other and be genuine, that's good. If we feel self conscious and hesitant to share, that's fine....We are all at different stages in our journey and most definitely should be respectful of each persons feelings along their path.....None of us are all wise and know it all, but sometimes our experiences can benefit a fellow traveler! DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!!!

^^^^ This!
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Mine is open. It is another way to stay accountable. I undersand how comments could get criticized. Criticism is not a bad thing though. It will help you to stay on track. You may get some great advice from people on here.
    Very well stated...mine is open too & I believe it helps me to make better choices :happy:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open. In my group of friends we kind of have an unspoken agreement to "do no harm". We typically try to not offend but to ask probing questions like "did you forget to log breakfast?". Many people will only comment if there is something to encourage and will say nothing at all if they see something they don't agree with. Everyone will have days that are spot on and other days you may not. I prefer to have my diary open so people can help me identify where I am weak. For instance. I know that if I stay under 1200 calories (my number) a day I should lose weight but I know for me I need to do that with fresh fruits/veggies and protein for healthy intake. Some younger members fill those 1200 caloreis with pop tarts, Diet Mountain Dew, etc and while they are under on calories for the day they have not actually consumed anything animal, vegetable, or mineral. THESE members are the ones I feel get more defensive because they don't want to be told what to eat.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open. In my group of friends we kind of have an unspoken agreement to "do no harm". We typically try to not offend but to ask probing questions like "did you forget to log breakfast?". Many people will only comment if there is something to encourage and will say nothing at all if they see something they don't agree with. Everyone will have days that are spot on and other days you may not. I prefer to have my diary open so people can help me identify where I am weak. For instance. I know that if I stay under 1200 calories (my number) a day I should lose weight but I know for me I need to do that with fresh fruits/veggies and protein for healthy intake. Some younger members fill those 1200 caloreis with pop tarts, Diet Mountain Dew, etc and while they are under on calories for the day they have not actually consumed anything animal, vegetable, or mineral. THESE members are the ones I feel get more defensive because they don't want to be told what to eat.

and i understand this, but for me, when people are saying they're hesitant to 'eat a candy bar' for fear of someone seeing it in their log?! i don't live/eat like that, i try to balance my meals and i do a lot of exercise but if i want a candy bar, or cookie, 5 or 10 of them, i feel like it's no one's business but my own! plus for me i think if i knew people would see my diary i'd still eat what i want but just wouldn't log it in my diary anymore. for me it's really just to track the types of foods i'm consuming and the amount. it's not something i care to obsess over, but more of a guideline than strict sets of laws. does that makes sense? lol i feel like a rambled a bit :) i appreciate the feedback though, i am seeing everyone's point of view, i'm so glad we can have this dialogue :)
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open for accountability and because I have nothing to hide. If I have something "bad" that day, I don't worry about others judging me. I have never had any negative comments on anything I have posted or shared. And truthfully, if I did, I would probably just delete the person. If you don't have your diary open, to me, you may not have enough confidence to be as open as some others are. I love to get ideas for meals and snacks from people's diaries. It isn't about negative comments, it's all about community and accountability and support. Isn't that what this site is here for? What do we have to hide from?
  • spongela
    spongela Posts: 107
    Options
    Mine is open, I am always welcome for people giving me advice and tips on eating better and ideas for meals :)
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends because I know people like to look and it makes no difference to me. I've only had supportive comments and suggestions but - I keep my friends list pretty small and check out profiles before accepting requests. If negative comments are a problem, I'd say it's the people, not the open diary.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I will only comment on someone staying under their calorie count if I can see that they actually did. Lot of people said "congratulations" without knowing what they are congratulating. They may be saying "good job' to someone who lived on a box of chocolates..

Mine is public and I welcome the comments. I am being held accountable by all my friends.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I figure if I'm going to go on a public forum like this, and I'm looking for help and support, it's almost crucial that people can see what I eat. Otherwise my life in regards to weight loss is cloaked in mystery. No one can help me if they can't see what I'm eating. I've never had much bad feedback. I get more help that harm from it.
  • JessicaHRN
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, I might switch it to public! It might help me stay more accountable. I really don't care if someone has a problem with my food diary, it's none of their business anyway!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am one for taking responsibility for what I eat...if I decide to eat 4 pieces of Dove chocolate it's my choice... and Like I said... I come from the "do no harm" place...if I don't have something positive to say I just keep my comments to myself
    and i understand this, but for me, when people are saying they're hesitant to 'eat a candy bar' for fear of someone seeing it in their log?! i don't live/eat like that, i try to balance my meals and i do a lot of exercise but if i want a candy bar, or cookie, 5 or 10 of them, i feel like it's no one's business but my own! plus for me i think if i knew people would see my diary i'd still eat what i want but just wouldn't log it in my diary anymore. for me it's really just to track the types of foods i'm consuming and the amount. it's not something i care to obsess over, but more of a guideline than strict sets of laws. does that makes sense? lol i feel like a rambled a bit :) i appreciate the feedback though, i am seeing everyone's point of view, i'm so glad we can have this dialogue :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Keeps me honest. I really only have one friend who comments on it every day and I like it because I KNOW she's going to say something if I do poorly, so I try harder not to do so.

ETA: But her opinions are along the same line as mine. She doesn't give me **** for beer if I have room. She doesn't comment on McDonalds as long as I've made a decent choice there. She stopped committing on my sodium when I told her I wasn't worried about it. I would NOT be okay with some one who things "clean" is the only way and gave me continuous **** over not eating like them.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I keep my diary private.... :) haha maybe cause I eat a lot of crap :P and don't want people to see the **** I eat !
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    I have my diary public...that way it keeps me accountable of what I'm eating...want to make sure I make the right choices...but I also like the feedback people give me about my eating habits...I think the reason I'm not losing weight is because of what I eat...so if I can get some feedback to help me, then that's great.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Public to friends only, I am accountable to myself but the occasional hey watch the sodium never hurts...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I don't really care what others think.

x2 I've gotten this far eating using artificial sweetener, drinking diet drinks, eating all sorts of processed foods, and NOT watching my sodium. LOL Don't think you're going to change me now! I'm perfectly happy with my diet as it is. But if someone wants to look, be my guest. :) I'm not perfect, but it works for me.