Thyroid Problem?

Options
I've really been struggling to loose weight in the past 6 months, but I put it on so quickly. For example, I didn't use MFP for a week as I was preparing to move countries and the hassle was too much, anyway I supposedly put on 10 pounds. Yet I'd been doing a lot of walking and cleaning everyday and eating around 2,000 calories. It's not possible to put on so much unless I ate about 6,000 calories a day, which I didn't.

Does anyone else suffer from an under active thyroid? If you do, how did you realise or notice that something was wrong?

Replies

• dreaasha
    dreaasha Posts: 31
    Options
    I do. I was on medication for a little while-I'm also bipolar, and the amount of lithium I was taking affected my thyroid. So I was always being sent over to the endocrinology clinic. One day, I got fed up with waiting, and dropped off of taking my meds.

Surprise surprise-I gained weight so fast, even though I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week. My levels skyrocketed to dangerous levels when I got tested again. I had no energy, exhausted all the time, and just laid in bed all day. And wow, was I depressed all the time.

Now that I'm back on meds again, I can actually really get it in at the gym, control my calories. This is the 2nd week I'm tracking here, 3rd week of working out again, but my shirts feel looser.
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2005. I found a bump on my throught that turned out to be a massive tumor. I missed the signs for sure before that. I was tired alot, worked out and never lost weight, gained weight easily, got cold easily. Go get your levels tested, I recommend every one does, just in case.

I have been on MFP for 2 months now and starting really working hard in the middle of may and I have lost 23 pounds so far. So it is possible to lose weight with thyroid cancer and thyroid conditions. Good Luck
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've really been struggling to loose weight in the past 6 months, but I put it on so quickly. For example, I didn't use MFP for a week as I was preparing to move countries and the hassle was too much, anyway I supposedly put on 10 pounds. Yet I'd been doing a lot of walking and cleaning everyday and eating around 2,000 calories. It's not possible to put on so much unless I ate about 6,000 calories a day, which I didn't.

Does anyone else suffer from an under active thyroid? If you do, how did you realise or notice that something was wrong?

Don't blame thyroid problems until you KNOW. Visit a doctor if you think it's really the problem. Until then it is merely speculation.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Ask your primary physician for a blood test. It's very simple. If you have a thyroid problem it's treatable with medication. I've lost all of my weight while medicated for my under-active thyroid...in addition to having PCOS. It's not impossible. You can do it.
  • kristyfiddes
    Options
    First off, I was not blaming my thyroid. I don't know if that's the issue or not. So don't give me grief, thanks.

Thank you to the others though, that really has helped a lot. I just need to get the medical sorted here in Canada and then I'll see my doctor.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stress from the "moveing countries" could played a part. also, water, sodium etc.. I hit a week where i jumped up 10lbs and had been doing everything right. Once it started coming off i was ~ 5lb under where it began. Stay strong over the next few weeks and see where you are then. The absolute hardest part for serious people losing weight is we want it gone and we want to see results after our hard work. Its not always the case and you have to be stubborn and not let it get to you. Good Luck.
  • aj_rock
    Options
    Then why go through all that and then randomly mention a thyroid problem? If you don't want people to assume you're blaming your thyroid, don't make it sound like you are. :ohwell:
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My mom has thyroid problems. Is it genetic?? What are the causes of thyroid issues. I know I don't need to get mine checked out or anything- I feel fine-But she didn't have an issue till she was 35- How young is too young to go to the doctor to get tested--also anyway to find out if I am more or less prone to a thyroid issue in the future?

Sorry-Thanks for letting me ask questions on ur post-haha:)

One thing she noticed was her hair was falling out-hot flashes, dry skin, extremely cold-and always irritable and depressed. --She's 100% back to normal with meds-still overweight though but I'm not sure how dedicated she really was to loosing weight. She seems pretty happy:)
  • kristyfiddes
    Options
    @aj_rock Because it's not exactly normal to put on so much weight in such a short space of time but to rarely loose anything. I didn't randomly mention the thyroid thing, the title of the post kind of hinted at what I was talking about. Just because I worded something slightly wrong does not give you the right to be a douche to me.

@Bamacraft Thank you, that is a good point but it's been like this for a while. Though I have been overly stressed for the last year, I didn't think about that though.

@NeonNikki I've heard it is genetic, definitely if you have family members who suffer you are more at risk. If you're worrying get checked out like once a year or something, so if it does start you can catch it in the early stages?
  • aj_rock
    Options
    Woah take it easy! My first post was simply to say consult your doctor first; lots of people see some weight gain and assume it's thyroid, which it isn't always. Other suggestions have been made in this thread already to the same tune.

Second post, again, you never made it clear why a few pounds extra makes you think of it being thryoid! And if you're gonna get nitpicky about syntax, if you don't want me to look at how you say things, then maybe you shouldn't take the word 'blame' so seriously either!

Whatever; I'm done attempting to communicate with someone who insists on degenerating conversation to name-calling.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Google under-active thyroid or hypothyroidism and check the symptoms. If you're suffering from some of the symptoms, definitely go get the testing done to be sure. I have a hyperactive thyroid, which is the opposite problem. It wasn't the weight loss that made me go to the doctor, more of the other myriad symptoms that came along with it. Most of my friends who suffer from hypothyroidism say they were diagnosed after experiencing other symptoms.

Seeing a jump of 10 pounds on the scale after a stressful week or so when you're not tracking calories is not a huge deal, though. My weight jumped up 2 pounds one day this week, then it was back down over 3 pounds the next day. And I'm tracking diligently and working out every day. The body is strange sometimes. I'd be willing to bet those pounds drop right back off after another week or so.

Best of luck :)
  • kristyfiddes
    Options
    @aj_rocks Yes because you are clearly the better person here.

Anyway, yeah I have most of the symptoms that come with an under active thyroid. Tired/sleeping a lot, sore muscles and slow movement, croaky voice, depression, difficulty concentrating, weight gain and slow heart rate. But the problem is I've been going to counselling for depression and have suffered from it for about 2/3 years so I don't know if most of the symptoms could just be depression and then just having sore muscles from gaining weight. I'll definitely get it checked out though.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Then why go through all that and then randomly mention a thyroid problem? If you don't want people to assume you're blaming your thyroid, don't make it sound like you are. :ohwell:

My but you are a blunt one aren't you.....The original poster did not say she/he was blaming her life on a thyroid problem, simply inquiring...
    I do have a thyroid condition, and the list of symtoms are endless....google Hypothyroid and you will find many sites. If you do decide to have blood work done, I strongly recommend more then a TSH, ask for a break down of T3 T4 and Free T3 and Free T4.
    A TSH test can show normal and hide the truth...
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    1) You probably weren't counting calories correctly when you gained all this weight.

2) You probably only gained a couple pounds of weight and the rest is water

3) Even if you have low thyroid, which is complete speculation until you get tested, doesn't mean it's going to cause 10 pounds of weight gain in a very short amount of time. Like I mentioned above, it's probably a combination of eating too much/counting incorrectly and water weight. Get your thyroid checked regardless though.
  • GrandmaJody
    Options
    @aj_rocks Yes because you are clearly the better person here.

Anyway, yeah I have most of the symptoms that come with an under active thyroid. Tired/sleeping a lot, sore muscles and slow movement, croaky voice, depression, difficulty concentrating, weight gain and slow heart rate. But the problem is I've been going to counselling for depression and have suffered from it for about 2/3 years so I don't know if most of the symptoms could just be depression and then just having sore muscles from gaining weight. I'll definitely get it checked out though.

With the symptoms that you have mentioned you could very well have be hypothyroid....so do make an appointment if for no other reason but to rule it out.
    I have been where you are at, and I know that you don't need anyones crap....:)
  • GrandmaJody
    Options
    ...sorry, I really need to make myself proofread "before" I post reply....
  • kristyfiddes
    Options
    Thank you, you've been the biggest help. I'll definitely make sure to get all the different types of tests done.
  • schwab1910
    Options
    Listen to GrandmaJody when she mentions what test to inquire about! I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroid and My symptoms were, irregular period (all of a sudden), swelling of my legs and ankels, tired all of the time, and weight gain, even though i was eating right and trying to work out!

Please see a doctor, it is always better to be safe then sorry! Good Luck!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I just wanted to say that a thyroid hormone can actually cause depression, so while you may think one is causing your symptoms, it may be the other. Go to an endocrinologist - NOT a general practitioner, and get your blood work done.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that a thyroid hormone can actually cause depression, so while you may think one is causing your symptoms, it may be the other. Go to an endocrinologist - NOT a general practitioner, and get your blood work done.

Any GP would be able to do the necessary thyroid function tests and interpret them and refer on if necessary.