Sudden Inexplicable Weight Gain?

13»

Replies

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    dpr73 wrote: »
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Definitely no medications you’ve started or supplements you’re taking?

I’m not qualified to advise you what to do but in your shoes I probably would cut back on my calories, regardless of if that’s the right thing to do. Probably wouldn’t be a bad thing to see your Dr or a Dietician for advise and to check there’s nothing untoward going on?

Nope. No meds. I did stop drinking coffee in favor of Matcha around the second week of March and in the third week of March I started having constipation that has since resolved. My sense is the constipation is the culprit but it seems strange that my weight remains elevated while that issue has resolved. I also have noticed swelling on my calves where my socks sit everyday.

Considering the mild diuretic effect that coffee can have, I think you’ve found your culprit. You’re likely now seeing your true weight — and probably getting some rebound water weight — now that you don’t have the coffee.

That’s an interesting point. This could be true. So in other words, reintroducing coffee might remove the excess weight. But in a sense I’ve always been at this weight?
    I wouldn’t disagree there
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Definitely no medications you’ve started or supplements you’re taking?

I’m not qualified to advise you what to do but in your shoes I probably would cut back on my calories, regardless of if that’s the right thing to do. Probably wouldn’t be a bad thing to see your Dr or a Dietician for advise and to check there’s nothing untoward going on?

Nope. No meds. I did stop drinking coffee in favor of Matcha around the second week of March and in the third week of March I started having constipation that has since resolved. My sense is the constipation is the culprit but it seems strange that my weight remains elevated while that issue has resolved. I also have noticed swelling on my calves where my socks sit everyday.

Considering the mild diuretic effect that coffee can have, I think you’ve found your culprit. You’re likely now seeing your true weight — and probably getting some rebound water weight — now that you don’t have the coffee.

That’s an interesting point. This could be true. So in other words, reintroducing coffee might remove the excess weight. But in a sense I’ve always been at this weight?
    I wouldn’t disagree there

You've got it. It might remove the weight, but you might not necessarily be going back to your "true" weight. Given the retention in your calves, though, I'm also really inclined to say some rebound weight is at play. So your true weight is likely somewhere in the middle.

I'd say give it 6 weeks, no coffee, and see what happens. That should be enough time for the rebound weight to come off.
  • dpr73
    edited March 2019
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Why is water retention in lower extremities not concerning anyone enough to suggest a quick check up? I mean age argues that it shouldn't be worrying. But if no reasonable triggers have been found as of yet?
    [/1quote]
    Certainly it would be concerning. Not typically so concerning for someone that is 24, healthy and runs long distances every week (5 miles at a 7 minute pace). No evidence of palpitations, normal heart ekg, and normal BP as well. I will go to the doctor but am trying to give my body its own time to rebound (one to two weeks).
  • dpr73
    I just fell back into my weight range (139.8). I have been eating 1900 calories a day, which historically and based off of nearly every calculator, is too little to maintain. Do you guys think I should give it a couple days for my weight to continue stabilizing or hop back up to 2500 today?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I just fell back into my weight range (139.8). I have been eating 1900 calories a day, which historically and based off of nearly every calculator, is too little to maintain. Do you guys think I should give it a couple days for my weight to continue stabilizing or hop back up to 2500 today?

I'd give it time. You've got a lot of variables at play, so give each one some time to bear out.
  • dpr73

I'd give it time. You've got a lot of variables at play, so give each one some time to bear out.

So you think I should just keep it at 1900 for a bit longer and then re-up it? I really heavily debated cutting in the first place because of how long I was maintaining at 2800 (since August) and the rapidity of the weight gain. It is definite a lesson I have learned not to repeat, as I now am in a flux with so many variables, as you said!
  • dpr73
    UPDATE: I am down to 138.4lbs today. Finally firmly back in the weight range and can actually feel that the previous bloat is gone. I am looking into finishing out the week at 1900 calories and starting next week back at maintenance~2500 calories. I have learned that my body is also capable of shifting with crazy heigh amounts of water retention, though it is nearly always very regular.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    UPDATE: I am down to 138.4lbs today. Finally firmly back in the weight range and can actually feel that the previous bloat is gone. I am looking into finishing out the week at 1900 calories and starting next week back at maintenance~2500 calories. I have learned that my body is also capable of shifting with crazy heigh amounts of water retention, though it is nearly always very regular.
    Glad it seems to be settling. I sometimes can go up 5-10lbs in water weight and I am a small person. It is amazing.
  • dpr73
    Glad it seems to be settling. I sometimes can go up 5-10lbs in water weight and I am a small person. It is amazing.

It is crazy! I am now wishing I never went down to 1900 calories, because I overreacted to nothing apparently!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Pleased to hear you’re ‘back in the zone’ !
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Disclaimer— definitely not an expert.
    You said your diet and exercise have been the same for a long while. Then you changed it.
    My opinion is that your body was just confused and didn’t know how to react. It’s just trying to figure out what’s going on. Now that it knows everything is okay, it’s settling down.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited April 2019