How to track workout

Options
Helou! I have a question how do u guys track strenght workout? I really have no idea how many calories a squat or deadlift can burn. Tks 🤗

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I just log the amount of time I spent lifting to the cardio exercises"strength training, lifting weights".
  • Monkeyfreck
    Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just log the amount of time I spent lifting to the cardio exercises"strength training, lifting weights".

Probably the best you can do without a hr monitor of some sort.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

Probably the best you can do without a hr monitor of some sort.

Heart rate monitors are likely to over-estimate strength training calories because the strain increases heart rate disproportionately to calorie-burning work performed. Fitness trackers - the kind that know what specific type of exercise you're doing - have the potential to estimate better, but in practice may or may not, depending on how refined their algorithms are.

This is one case where the MFP exercise calorie estimate may be a potty good bet.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use an HR monitor (Polar H7 + it's app) and you're able to select what kind of workout you are doing, including weights/circuit training. Though I use the TDEE method rather than the standard MFP, so I use the calories that the HR+app give me as an estimation about the effort I've put in.

This blog post was very helpful when I was trying to figure out how to log my exercises and how to use (or not) the HR monitor. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

In the end, it's all an estimation - the machines at the gym, the HR monitors, the fitness trackers, MFP, and I'm sure it differs from one person to the other.

Choose a method, track everything, log everything and observe what happens with your weight and body for a period of time (a few weeks/months) and simply adjust accordingly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    I use an HR monitor (Polar H7 + it's app) and you're able to select what kind of workout you are doing, including weights/circuit training. Though I use the TDEE method rather than the standard MFP, so I use the calories that the HR+app give me as an estimation about the effort I've put in.

This blog post was very helpful when I was trying to figure out how to log my exercises and how to use (or not) the HR monitor. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

In the end, it's all an estimation - the machines at the gym, the HR monitors, the fitness trackers, MFP, and I'm sure it differs from one person to the other.

Choose a method, track everything, log everything and observe what happens with your weight and body for a period of time (a few weeks/months) and simply adjust accordingly.
    That's a great article, very insightful. He has another one specifically about HRM and strength training:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

Note, though, that if a fitness tracker's algorithms are smart enough not to use the HRM input when they know you're strength training (rely on other inputs instead), they may do better estimating. Strength training should not show a big calorie burn. If it does, be very suspicious.
  • jrockzx
    jrockzx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually track with my Garmin watch and a Garmin heart rate monitor. They are both pretty accurate when it comes to intensity minutes as well as calories burned.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jrockzx wrote: »
    I usually track with my Garmin watch and a Garmin heart rate monitor. They are both pretty accurate when it comes to intensity minutes as well as calories burned.

How are you confirming that calorie accuracy?
    Do you have access to a metabolic chamber or some other way of confirming calories burned?

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Helou! I have a question how do u guys track strenght workout? I really have no idea how many calories a squat or deadlift can burn. Tks 🤗

Since I don't use any fitness tracker or HR monitors, I give myself one calorie per minute. If I lift for 45 minutes or 60 minutes. I will log the time and 45 calories or 60 calories. Strength training doesn't burn too many calories anyway.
  • nikynicolle
    nikynicolle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tks guys! 🤗