Popcorn - what to eat instead

Options
I often est a bag of microwave popcorn at night. What would be a better, lower calorie choice...... but still salty?

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    skinny pop is my favorite & not too salty
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I make mine in a pan on the stovetop and use a half tablespoon of oil plus 75g of kernels. About 275 calories and it's a huge bowl. Probably half that would be enough for most people - I just save calories for it a few times per week.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Try the 100 calorie mini bags. They are portioned as single servings, and you can still eat the whole bag.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You can also pop your own in a brown paper bag in the microwave. Just fold over the top and pop away. Add your own toppings.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    So I have an air popper - what's the secret to toppings that stick to everything?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    So I have an air popper - what's the secret to toppings that stick to everything?

Butter. Ha ha ha. I don't worry about the toppings not sticking - just dredge the kernals through the loose seasoning at the bottom of the bowl.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

And oil spritzer!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with spray oil.

Or pickles (as mentioned above).

Or salted radishes and kohlrabi.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in a pot on the stove, no oil. Pops fine and then you can add what you see fit afterwards
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got an air popper at a goodwill like 10 years ago and I have never gone back to bag popcorn. Even new they arent expensive and then you can control what you put on your popcorn. I like to do garlic salt and a liiiiitle bit of butter.
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options

you can use some spray oil or even a very light mist of water just to help the stick. I use butter myself.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn.
    The oil you pop it in and the butter you top it with are what add fat calories.
    Popcorn is good for you.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    skinny pop popcorn! don't get the individual 100 calorie bags. get the large bag, then weigh your serving on a food scale. you get so much!
  • ehaze52
    ehaze52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could air pop your own popcorn without any special machine. Put ¼ to ⅓ cup popcorn kernels in brown paper lunch bag, seal it well so it doesn't open and put it in the microwave oven on the pop corn button. Listen to it, you might need to add another 30 seconds if it's still popping. I need to eat sodium free so I add my own seasoning, but you could use a butter spray, grated cheese, popcorn salt, or any other seasoning you want. Everything Bagel is pretty good on it. Another good choice is Slim Kim which is carried by some GFS stores. low cal, low sodium, comes in 4 flavors.