Veggie Bulk to Rice/Pasta

Options
2»

Replies

• kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In the food and nutrition forum there is a post called Volume eaters thread... It's on the first page(Im link illiterate lol) but it's all posts about people who eat bulk low calorie stuff add ins etc like this if you want to take a read
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I make a Vegan Recipe like this just about every week. Has Medium to High carbs, Medium Protein, and low fat, packed with vitamins and minerals. I throw everything into my instant pot, and set it at 30 minutes, comes out perfect every time. I do add the Nutritional Yeast after it has cooked though and mix it in. I vary this all the time based on what we have and what may be going bad in the next couple of days in the fridge.

Each serving is normally in the 430 - 500 gram range based on what I put in it, makes 10 servings. I have 1 - 2 servings of this every day, and it's very low cost to make per meal. I always use bagged dry lentils, quinoa, beans, rice, what ever I have available. I also crumble up the Tofu, you wouldn't even know it's there.

17 Ingredients Edit Recipe
    100.00 gram, nutritional yeast
    8.73 cups (85 g), Fresh Spinach
    7.50 cup, vegetable broth
    0.87 cup (100g), Pinto Beans (Frijoles Pintos)
    0.70 cup uncooked, Wild Rice
    2.52 c. (45g), Lentils (Dry)
    3.01 package - 85g, Extra Firm Silken Tofu
    8.40 oz, Mushrooms
    0.25 tsp, Sea Salt Grinder
    1 tsp, Black Peppercorn Grinder Mccormick
    2.50 tsp (1g), Organic Cayenne Pepper
    2 tbsp, Spices, onion powder
    1 tbsp, crushed red pepper
    2 tbsp, Garlic Powder
    1 tbsp, Paprika
    6 tsp., Organic Chipotle Chili Peppers (Grounded)
    2 tbsp (6g), Corrected Ground Cumin

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 10.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 404
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 0 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 517 mg 22 %
    Potassium 632 mg 18 %
    Total Carbohydrate 50 g 17 %
    Dietary Fiber 10 g 41 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 30 g 60 %
    Vitamin A 58 %
    Vitamin C 17 %
    Calcium 12 %
    Iron 40 %
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    How do you guys make the veggie into rice form?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I buy Carba-Nada noodles from amazon. Taste and texture like egg noodles, 170 calories per serving: 1.5 fat, 24 carb (7 grams of fiber) and 15 protein. Awesome stats for pasta.

I also love quinoa. It’s a complete plant protein. And very versatile. I batch cook it in my rice cooker.

I use riced veggies in my eggs. I sauté them up first and then add in some quinoa and then the egg whites.
  • Beckenzahler
    Beckenzahler Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I just grate cauliflower by hand, however I would imagine most food processors can do it. Tried once with my blender, not a success....
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    cc3833 wrote: »
    Figured I would share... Because for some reason this took me years to figure out...

I've been trying to address my binge/emotional eating. And I tried swapping out my rice/pasta completely for zoodles or riced cauliflower etc. While I like those veggies the texture just isn't there for me.

Recently I decided to do 65% riced cauliflower and 35% regular rice and today I did riced cauliflower in my angel hair pasta. And man do I love it! I'm getting my veggies in and I get to eat a pretty big portion for a quarter of the calories!

I've been here for years losing/gaining so this time around I'm not eliminating any type of food but trying to concentrate on cooking for more nutrition and weight loss if that makes sense.

I recently discovered this myself! 100% cauliflower was a total turnoff for me, it was soggy and not at all like rice. Once I made it 50% rice and 50% cauliflower, I hardly even noticed the cauliflower. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I pulse it in a food processor. :) If I run the processor continuously the cauliflower ends up too fine, so I do about 20 1-2 second pulses for coarse, rice-like crumbles.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I just buy it pre-done, they're in the freezer veggies section. I can get a bag of rice cauliflower for around $1 at Aldi.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

I pulse it in a food processor. :) If I run the processor continuously the cauliflower ends up too fine, so I do about 20 1-2 second pulses for coarse, rice-like crumbles.
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I just buy it pre-done, they're in the freezer veggies section. I can get a bag of rice cauliflower for around $1 at Aldi.
    This is great. I’ll look for it!

I just grate cauliflower by hand, however I would imagine most food processors can do it. Tried once with my blender, not a success....

Thank you all!
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great recipes everyone! Gotta get quinoa back into the rotation!

@rickiimarieee and you can make it like they said food processor, grate by hand, but I've been trying to cut down on time so I just buy it already riced and frozen from the grocery store. They sell it with broccoli too.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

@rickiimarieee and you can make it like they said food processor, grate by hand, but I've been trying to cut down on time so I just buy it already riced and frozen from the grocery store. They sell it with broccoli too.

I don’t have a food processor and I have 3 kids so I don’t have a lot of extra time so if I can buy it already that way I will! I had no idea they made it that way!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I do the same.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

And sweet potato!