So frustrated!!

Options
I have been watching my calories every day (with a cheat day once in a blue moon so I keep my body from getting too comfy) and exercising three times a week for one hour- weights, elliptical and cycling. I’ve not lost one lbs!! This has been my problem and why I’ve quit because I’ve tried multiple times in the last year to lose this ten lbs and it just won’t budge!! I never had this problem before and seriously don’t know what to do...

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How many lbs do you have to lose, and how long have you been on plan? What is your height and weight?

There are many common errors many of us made when we first started logging, would you be willing to make your diary public temporarily so we can help you find them?
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you also measuring your body fat percentage? If you're lifting, you might be losing fat but gaining muscle, which weights a lot more than fat by volume.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you also measuring your body fat percentage? If you're lifting, you might be losing fat but gaining muscle, which weights a lot more than fat by volume.

Women in a calorie deficit aren't likely to be gaining appreciable weight in muscle.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by “watching your calories? Is your diary open? Are you weighing your food on a food scale in grams/ounces and entering them into MFP to not eat beyond the goal it gave you? How are you calculating calories burned when you work out?
  • jsaladino2113
    jsaladino2113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m not measuring just reading labels and logging them in here. I have a watching that is counting the calories I’m burning. The weird things I look slightly thinner but the scale won’t budge and I just expected to see more than slight improvement in the month I’ve been doing this. I do light weights. 10lbs.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If you're looking thinner, don't worry about the scale. Start taking your measurements. Maybe something you're eating is causing water retention so that's why the scale isn't moving even though your body is changing.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    Options

Women in a calorie deficit aren't likely to be gaining appreciable weight in muscle.

OP never said they were in a deficit.

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’m not measuring just reading labels and logging them in here. I have a watching that is counting the calories I’m burning. The weird things I look slightly thinner but the scale won’t budge and I just expected to see more than slight improvement in the month I’ve been doing this. I do light weights. 10lbs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

with so little to lose you are looking at a recommended 0.5lb/week rate of loss which is also easily masked by water weight. use a weight trending app to log your weight and see how it trends.

if any of hte exercise is new/increased there may be some water retention (temporary) by muslces.

but with so little to lose you really need to be precise with your calories in by weighing all foods and logging carefully.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Accurate calorie counting has two parts. The first is finding the proper information for the food you're eating. Reading labels is great, but you also have to be sure you're choosing good entries in the database, use the recipe builder for homemade food. Don't rely on the barcode scanner, verified entries, or generic and homemade entries too much.The other part is knowing how much of everything you're eating. It's no good looking at the label if you don't know how many servings of it you're having. A food scale is great for that, but anything is better than eyeballing portion sizes.

Another thing to watch out for is water weight. Is the exercise program new? New exercise often comes with a bit of extra fluid retention to help cushion and repair sore muscles, which can show up as a stall on the scale while it masks weight loss. You'll also see water weight swings depending on where you are in your month cycle (if you have one) which some people mistake for a stall when it's just your body doing its thing. Trendweight apps like Happy Scale, Libra, or Trendweight are great for showing your weight loss even when water is masking it.

If you haven't seen any movement at all on the scale in 3 weeks, it might be time to check the scale placement, batteries, and calibration. Your weight should be going up and down from day to day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

But OP is expecting weight loss......you can't have one without the other.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

But OP is expecting weight loss......you can't have one without the other.

One would "assume", wouldn't they? ;)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried keto or low carb. I did low carb under 100 gr a day and my calorie allowance and the weight flew off. I had more to lose, lost 35 lbs in 4 months. I could not stay on LC forever but it was a good jump start for me. It didn't help hubby, everyone is different. He use to work a physical job and now is on the bus and he swears his weight wont budge.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Most of us are awful at eyeballing serving sizes. Even dietitians when tested would were off hundreds of calories when they eyeballed portions. Before you change your diet or make any other panicked decisions, get a food scale and use for everything possible for at least a couple of weeks to get a handle on how many calories you're really eating. When I made the change, I would've sworn I was eating 1400 cals, but using the food scale I saw I was really eating over 1700 most days!

ETA: With only 10 lbs to lose, you really have to be patient, like REALLY PATIENT. You shouldn't be expecting to lose much more than 0.5lbs per week, and that little can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations for literally weeks.