Frustrated with eating 1200 a day and not losing weight

Options
My weight has gone up this week and I am frustrated and can't figure out why.

2/4/2019 starting weight: 145.8 lbs

3/26/2019: 131.2 lbs

4/1/2019: 131.6 lbs

I’m eating the same foods as before in the same quantities so no idea what the deal is. I’m feeling really frustrated and unmotivated. I’m also practicing IF of 16:8.

Sorry guys, just needed to rant and get some feedback from you all. I’ve even stepped up my waking game this last week (not that I expect walking to burn a ton of calories) but my usual step count is 5,000ish and now I’m averaging around 8,000 a day. I’ve also been doing a different nightly yoga routine just to mix things up a little bit and engage different muscle groups.

Adding food log link for reference - https://imgur.com/a/C5TjdgL

I ate various amounts throughout the week, but a 7 day span equals to roughly 1,289 calories a day- so how is it possible that I’ve gone up a half pound since last week?

Replies

• sngresak
    sngresak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    First: are you weighing all of your food using a food scale?

Second: less than half a pound increase on the scale in one week may or may not be meaningful, as it's well within normal weight fluctuation. Your increased exercise alone likely contributed to extra water weight.

Third: at 131 pounds, you likely don't have much weight to lose and therefore should not expect more than a half pound per week loss.

Yes, I weigh everything down to the gram on my food scale. I don't eyeball anything and for beverages I drink water or unsweetened iced tea.
  • sngresak
    Options
    RaulWells wrote: »
    Hi sngresak, hate to hear your frustration. The human body is an incredible piece of machinery. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into self protection mode and will hold on to your weight. Do you know how much you were eating before you started cutting foods out? Also, are you just walking and doing yoga? What is your goal?

Before I started on 1200 a day, I wasn't tracking my food intake at all because I was pregnant/had recently given birth and literally did not care lol.

I just had my second baby on 1/1/2019 so I was just kinda in "survival" mode eating whatever was quick or convenient until I decided to dedicate time to my health on 2/4/2019 which is when I started to track my eating. Just as of March is when I also incorporated walking more and nightly yoga routines. I otherwise don't exercise or go to the gym, with a 3 month old and 1.3 year old I just can't manage to find the time or resources to do it yet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In the recent past, I've weighed myself in the morning and afternoon and had close to a 10 pound discrepancy. I went from 233 to 224 in one day. I did a lot of sweating and flushing water, and I'm not sure what else dictates daily weight fluctuations.

Anyway, other people's advice on here is great. Don't weigh yourself so often, or don't take it so hard when things don't change all that much. This is a slow process that likes when you are patient and consistent.
  • sngresak
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    RaulWells wrote: »
    Hi sngresak, hate to hear your frustration. The human body is an incredible piece of machinery. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into self protection mode and will hold on to your weight. Do you know how much you were eating before you started cutting foods out? Also, are you just walking and doing yoga? What is your goal?

Hi and welcome to MFP. You will notice at the bottom of your post that you will start accumulating many "woo" votes (none from me). This is because you have posted a myth that is scientifically impossible. Don't feel bad. Many people, myself included, have believed things that have turned out not to be true and it has hampered us in our weight loss.

Our bodies run on energy and so there is no way it can just absolutely refuse to let go of energy stores when we are in a calorie deficit. What is actually happening in the OP's case can easily be explained by this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Thank you, this is a very helpful breakdown!