End of the day foods to make calories

Options
What, if anything, do you eat at the end of the day to boost your calorie count high enough to complete your diary.

Lately I've been loving dates and walnuts--sometimes together as a make shift trail mix and somtimes solo. Before dates and walnuts it was peanut butter.

What do you do?

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The only times my calories have been so low that I wouldn't be allowed to close my diary were when I was sick. When I'm short of my allowance (1600), I will usually have something I enjoy that I don't typically want to "waste" calories on (cereal comes to mind). If I'm low on protein for that day, I will sometimes have a Greek yogurt. If I'm genuinely not hungry for anything else that day, I don't worry about it and use it to pad the rest of my week.

Here's a link for those who find it to be a regular problem:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

And BTW, closing your diary is only necessary for it to post on your news feed (if you have that enabled in your settings) and to get the bogus 5 week weight loss projection. It retains your info whether you close it or not. That being said, if you are logging accurately and regularly coming in under 1200 calories, that's a problem that needs addressed.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    chobani yogurt with some sort of flavor -- pineapple, caramel
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Depends on the make up of the day. If its healthy and nutritious, its dark chocolate. If I've had poor nutrition, I supplement with walnuts and/or peanuts. Usually, I am only needing 250 calories to add.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    When it happens, I usually need between 250-350 calories to end the day. Sometimes I feel full and don't want a large quantity of food to eat, so I go for "calorie dense" foods that don't take up a lot of room in my belly. The list in the link above is great, but I can't ever imagine myself eating a tablespoon of coconut oil or butter! It gives me some ideas on what to add to dinner so I don't go so under. I try to eat a light breakfast and lunch so I can save my calories for dinner. Sometimes dinner winds up being fewer calories than I planned on.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've never really had the issue about closing my diary, but I do have leftover calories some days and for me it is very important I get them in especially to hit my protein goals when losing. So I will have things like cottage cheese, beef jerky, turkey and cheese.

If I'm gaining though I just get the cals in..ice cream, cookies, grilled cheese and ham sandwich, quesadillas, bagels, cereal, etc.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have this issue a lot when I'm bulking. I practice keto - so for me I need to keep my protein high, my fat higher, and my carbs next to nothing.

Easy end of the day food for me is 1/4 to a half cup of heavy cream. For me it tastes just like milk, and a quarter cup is pretty small. That's 200-400 calories of pure fat, even if you're stuffed like a turkey from eating all day it's a great way to get an extra "meal" in without feeling sick.

If I need to tackle my protein macros as well I'll throw in a scoop of low-carb powder, usually about 15-30 grams of protein, mix it in a glass with however much heavy cream I need and fill the rest with water.

If I need to hit my fiber goal still - which is challenging when you're on keto - I'll add a fiber supplement to all the above.. let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up and it's delicious - tastes and feels just like cream of wheat.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I will usually have yogurt or toast with butter. Not really any specific reason other than I usually have those in the house, so that's what I eat. If I have a low appetite day and I realize it at work, I'l pick up a pint of low-calorie ice cream and polish off the whole thing. I try to use low appetite days as opportunities for treats. Helps with cravings.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ice cream or chocolate.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Ice cream or Peanut butter for me.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lately Cadbury Cream Eggs. So good. Or half a peanut butter sandwich.
  • Ddub2020
    Ddub2020 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter toast is my favorite end of day snack. Sometimes a small glass of chocolate milk
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My desert (fruit with yogurt or cottage cheese) is usually half and hour after I am done with dinner. I adjust the amount based on my hunger and/or calories left. I don't eat anything else after that (personal preference), and I don't close my diary either; I never did.

If you still feel hungry and have too many calories left to complete your daily goals at the end of the day, adjust your intake during the day or at dinner time. Closing your diary is not necessary. MFP will not give you extra points for that, and it will not affect weight gain or loss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I hate wasting calories because more often than not I want every calorie I have and then some. The idea of using them just to reach a number reminds me of all the days I wanted something but didn't have enough calories for it. If I'm under my budget one day and I don't feel like eating anything, I save those calories for the next day or save them for something I really like but can't fit often sometime that week.

By "under budget", I mean under my calorie goal (anywhere between 1500 and 2200) not under 1000. Going under 1000 is very rare for me, so rare that I can't even imagine ending that low while eating normally unless I'm sick.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    MissKJ5 wrote: »
    Lately Cadbury Cream Eggs. So good. Or half a peanut butter sandwich.

+1 for the creme eggs. It's a sad day when they disappear for the rest of the year.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    A boiled or scrambled egg, maybe a slice of toast with it...or a spoonful of PB
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Pie, cake, cookies, maybe chocolate...never PB.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don't worry about it, I eat more the next day.

If you just mean what do I eat if I have room for something extra after dinner, and I want to eat a bit more, dark chocolate, cheese, cottage cheese, fruit, nuts, ice cream, pop corn -- depending on the cals, what I have on hand, and what I feel like. But I don't force myself to eat if not in the mood.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    If I'm short on my personal nutritional goals, (100g protein, 50g fats; at least 5, ideally 10+, 80g veggie/fruit servings), then I'd usually eat to fill whatever the gap is.

After that, chocolate, nuts, excellent cheese, sangria, or IPA, typically.

Nutritional goals were a little lower in a calorie deficit than now in maintenance, but same general concept.

I don't usually struggle to eat enough: Eating enough is easy. Food is yummy. I don't struggle to eat just enough, usually, either. Sometimes I play nutritional Tetris to hit the calorie goal, with proper macros & veggies. Carbs are the commonest balancer for me.
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and strawberries ONLY if I am hungry though.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of choices for that. Being that I'm usually trying to make my protein goals on keto, I have sardines in oil, fat bombs of faux fudge, and a variety of cheeses. I've also usually some mixed nuts.