How many of you use spices in daily meals? Which is your go to spices combination and why?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "go to"...my spices take up an entire cupboard and I use them all depending on what flavor profile I'm looking for.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have a ridiculous spice collection :D

I had to whittle mine down after 4 years working for Penzeys. Cleaning up the seasoning shelf gave me a better idea of what I actually use. I also found I had several containers of the same thing (not to be confused with having 3 different cinnamons. Each has its own flavor and is used in different dishes)
    So true! Also true of cocoa.

I'd need a bigger kitchen if I worked for Penzey's. Heck, I need one now!

I usually use Natural but have a couple of desserts that work better with Dutched so I keep a smaller supply (8 oz bag instead of a pound) of that on hand.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Use tons of combos but paprika, garlic, salt & pepper on sweet potatoes is amazing

I also add parsley for some brightness to this. I love this combo on sweet potatoes.

We use a lot of paprika, chili powder, cayenne, smoked paprika, minced garlic, thyme, cilantro, ginger, curry, masala, cinnamon, thyme, rosemary, dill, basil, etc.

you name it, we probably have it in our spice cabinet.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Berbere, cumin, curry spice mixes, apricot chipotle glaze, Trader joes 21 seasoning, a bruschetta seasoning mix, sage, garlic goes with everything, fresh basil pureed with garlic and olive oil, cinnamon with cardamom and clove,
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ... sooo I'm the only one that just uses seasoned salt on everything? :p
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    I have it in my spice cabinet, but only use it when I make Chex Mix. But, when I was growing up, my Dad used it on all our grilled meat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If I could only have 5 spices, they would be:

1. Salt
    2. Pepper
    3. Italian seasoning
    4. Berbere https://smile.amazon.com/Frontier-Berbere-Seasoning-ORGANIC-Bottle/dp/B005WDVQHG/
    5. Pumpkin pie spice

But since I am not limited I have a ridiculous amount of spices :lol:

Yesterday I made Mujadara, which is Lebanese, with Berbere seasoning, which is Ethiopian :smiley:

Last week I mixed up chai spice mix to I could make chai tea with cheaper black tea rather than buying pre-added chai tea bags. I started with this recipe and added more cardamom https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/chai-spice-blend/
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Last week I mixed up chai spice mix to I could make chai tea with cheaper black tea rather than buying pre-added chai tea bags. I started with this recipe and added more cardamom https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/chai-spice-blend/

Yummy! Don’t you love her website?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The idea of a "go-to" sort of defeats the whole point of spices, in my mind. I use them to add variety, to complement specific foods in ways that are specific to that food, and to create specific favor profiles or specific dishes/recipes. If I want something that tastes like a Mexican dish, I'm not going to use the same combo that I would for a Chinese dish or a Thai dish or an Italian dish, etc. I like cinnamon, but outside of chili, I'm not likely to use it on meat. I like garlic, but I'm not putting it in my oatmeal (unless I'm serving oatmeal as a savory side in lieu of rice or noodles).
  • earlnabby
    Options

I have never used it.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I have never used it.

It's essentially just a mixture of seasonings. Different brands have different blends, but most contain at least salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, onion salt. Some add in turmeric and/or cayenne.

Lawry's is a popular brand and is sold everywhere. It's so dang easy...all the work is done for you! :wink:
  • earlnabby
    Options

I have never used it.

It's essentially just a mixture of seasonings. Different brands have different blends, but most contain at least salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, onion salt. Some add in turmeric and/or cayenne.

Lawry's is a popular brand and is sold everywhere. It's so dang easy...all the work is done for you! :wink:

I know what it is and we sold a variation at Penzeys. I just have never used it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tons. Aside from the obvious salt and pepper I regularly use celery seed, oregano, parsley, paprika, garlic salt, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, saffron, cilantro, and cinnamon. In summer I use a lot of fresh basil.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cardamom, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, red pepper. I make a lot of Chai
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I 💚 spices! I use them in everything!

Spices I use most often:
    Saffron
    Curry
    Harissa
    Garam masala
    Herbs de Provence
    Za’atar
    Basil
    Rosemary
    Oregano

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, curry (ALL kinds!) chives, parsley, smoked paprika, dill. Garlic and onion do not sit well with me (I am Italian too!). I love herbal blends, savory. If I have lentil or pea soup then cumin for sure.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I probably have over 100 different herbs and spices in my kitchen. All of them. Not together of course, depends what the recipe calls for.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am always using some type of spice, or spice mix. Most frequently used are:

garlic (powdered or fresh)
    cumin
    chili powder
    red pepper flakes

And I love the Mrs. Dash salt free seasonings.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know where to start. When we had a house fire, they gave us $1500 just to replace our spice cabinet. That was more than they gave us for a new couch. I use spices for EVERYTHING. What I am making makes a difference in what spices I use. These are a few of my rules... For Polish or Hungarian dishes, smoked paprika and garlic. For Mexican dishes, cumin and cayene. For Indian dishes, curry, and garam masala. For Thai dishes, star anise, clove, and ginger. For homemade sausage, white pepper, sage, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Italian, oregano, basil and garlic.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    aq08gqxvq4m1.jpg

All of them.
    This is my primary spice cabinet. The backups are above the fridge.

Tumeric, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, Chinese peppercorn, and red pepper all featured heavily lately.

I make my own mixes mostly but do love Trader Joe’s ‘everyday’ seasoning (sea salt, mustard seed, peppercorns, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, Chile.)

You won’t find Italian seasoning in my cupboard. I like those things fresh (thyme, oregano, rosemary) but can’t stand dry. Same for dill.

I hate ground nutmeg but like fresh grated.
    I also really dislike standard cinnamon because it tastes dusty to me. I can do Chinese cinnamon if fresh ground or the smaller-batch produced South American cinnamons.

My spice and herb shopping is so extensive that I haunt the Indian and Asian grocery because savings, variety, bulk and whole spices.