Help

Options
I have a lot of mental illnesses that prevent me from doing simple tasks. Getting up to go workout and eat takes half an hour. Any motivational words? Maybe some tips to better my mind to get into that workout mood?

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Recommend:
    • Visualisation/Vision board with motivational words of your choosing, you know are effective enough
    • Consider Tai chi OR
    • Qi gong OR
    • Any form of Yoga you're comfortable with OR
    • Martial arts

Welcome to myfitnesspal.
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The magic by Rhonda Byrne
    Changed my life https://goo.gl/search/The+Magic
    The Magic, Book by Rhonda Byrne

Also A book that takes it's time
    https://goo.gl/search/A+Book+That+Takes+Its+Time:+An+Unhurried+Adventure+in+Creative+Mindfulness
    A Book That Takes Its Time: An Unhurried Adventure in Creative Mindfulness, Book by Astrid van der Hulst and Irene Smit

Those are amazing to help get ya on a positive life track!! Helped me see the light!! Wear bright colors! Listen to happy music!! Write it down when it hurts then burn it!!! Don't let the fog get you down!!! Always look for the light!! As your mind heals then the body will follow!!!

Add me!!!
  • Bopo_Amy
    Bopo_Amy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Take it one minute, one step at a time. You are more than the thoughts you think. They are thoughts. I will friend you would love to offer you support. I too have struggled in the past and must practice my recovery steps every single day.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do it all at once. Focus on simple tasks that you can accomplish. One not-so-great workout is better not going at all. If you fall, that's ok, but get back up again before too much time passes.

Most of all, you are worth it. Never doubt that.
  • mind8over0matter
    mind8over0matter Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I suffer from a rare disease called stiff person syndrome & I was bed bound for 3 years once lost a lot of weight due to being depressed not a good weight loss. I was stiff from my waist down. Got on a treadmill walking 2MPH I worked myself up finally decided to go to my neurologist who diagnosed me after 9 drs & I’m back but not 100% it takes time & there are times where I have set backs but I have to pretty much speak to my own self it’s hard to get out there to work out because it’s still in me & a buddy helps if I get stiff all of a sudden. I understand & wish you were close we could be work out buddies which is what I need I can go alone but depends on how I feel. You can do it. I push myself regardless.
  • imvandeen
    imvandeen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Just keep taking those single steps as often as you can 👍
  • anna1465
    anna1465 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends who can help me eat more then 500 calories per day. I know it's not good for me
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. You're doing it, you're doing your best.. That's the important. We can cheer you and help you for sure... Add me if you want ;) Take care
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Peepsterbaby One thing that helps me is remembering you don’t have to “feel it,” you just have to do it. Your body doesn’t know or care whether you felt like working out today, as long as you get it done. Sometimes when I really have trouble motivating myself I tell myself I am not going to work out today. Meanwhile I keep getting my gym stuff together, putting on my shoes, and so on, until somehow I am at the gym, at which point I might as well keep going and work out, right?

Another trick is to remind yourself that you are choosing to do this, no one is making you do it. Somehow it’s easier when you think of it as a choice, or even a privilege. When I injured my knee and was unable to run, I learned that I really missed being able to run. Ever since it’s been much easier to motivate myself, because I know that being able to run is a gift that can be taken away, so I should enjoy it.

That said, it’s difficult to do anything when your brain chemistry is not doing what it should. If you can share these problems with your treatment team they may be able to find something that could help. Is it possible that having a workout buddy to help you get moving in the right direction would be useful?

Best of luck to you!