PCOS and diet, what do you do?

Options
Hi ladies!

Looking for some insighight on what you follow for a way of eating. Currently I've been following keto and I'm beginning to feel conflicted on if it's right for me. I've done some research that suggests I should be consuming low GI (glycemic index) foods to help balance hormones but, those foods aren't allowed on keto. So, looking for some other options and hear what works for others.

I go see a nutritionist in 4 weeks, so I'm also conflicted on whether to change anything right now or not. 🤷🏼‍♀

Replies

• kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Most keto is low GI. Meat and fat is low GI. I've had cysts before but my PCOS is under control and I've never had to have surgery. I don't eat specifically to try to control PCOS though and I'm not sure my diet helps or hurts my PCOS.

I am currently eating to control blood serum numbers for heart disease.

Good Luck and please share if you find anything you feel helps.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Most keto is low GI. Meat and fat is low GI. I've had cysts before but my PCOS is under control and I've never had to have surgery. I don't eat specifically to try to control PCOS though and I'm not sure my diet helps or hurts my PCOS.

I am currently eating to control blood serum numbers for heart disease.

Good Luck and please share if you find anything you feel helps.

Thank you!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    My wife has PCOS and she visited a registered dietician who specialized in PCOS. She was put on a lower carb diet, but one that is not Keto. She controls carbs, eats lean meats and seafood, and focuses on plenty of vegetables. She has also started going to the gym a couple of times a week. Down 11 pounds so far.

Remember for PCOS, the same principles of any other diet apply. Calories in vs calories out. It may take a bit longer of observation to figure out your own calories out/maintence calories, because some women with PCOS have measurably lower calories out than non-PCOS women, so through observation you may need to adjust your calories in accordingly.
  • Roots33
    Roots33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have been focusing on a low GI and low calorie diet. I also eat 4 to 5 times per day to help keep my insulin levels balanced, which impacts my PCOS. That has been working great for me, I've noticed my PCOS symptoms are slowing getting under control and I've been able to lost weight.

I've heard great things about keto but i'm looking for long term solutions so following the GI and load of foods is much more helpful to me. Once my PCOS is under control there will always be the risk of it getting bad again and it has a direct correlation to the food i eat. So even once my PCOS is in check i plan to continue to follow a GI diet, i'll just allow myself to eat things higher on the index in moderation with other healthy low GI foods.

Good luck!
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Roots33 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and have been focusing on a low GI and low calorie diet. I also eat 4 to 5 times per day to help keep my insulin levels balanced, which impacts my PCOS. That has been working great for me, I've noticed my PCOS symptoms are slowing getting under control and I've been able to lost weight.

I've heard great things about keto but i'm looking for long term solutions so following the GI and load of foods is much more helpful to me. Once my PCOS is under control there will always be the risk of it getting bad again and it has a direct correlation to the food i eat. So even once my PCOS is in check i plan to continue to follow a GI diet, i'll just allow myself to eat things higher on the index in moderation with other healthy low GI foods.

Good luck!

I sent you a friend request and was wondering if I could shoot you a message with some questions?!
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Becoming a vegetarian is the only thing that has helped me. I started after Christmas day and I feel amazing.
    Most of my PCOS symptoms have subsided particularly, acne, skin tags,hormonal issues,fatigue and weight.
    I no longer have acid reflux or asthma issues (hand in hand for me)
    Good luck♥️