Too few calories

Options
2»

Replies

• lprekan
    lprekan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So what if calling them that helps me not to eat them, and calling more nutritious foods premium fuel for my body? You avoid putting old gas in a lawnmower because of the trash that ends up in your gasoline container and lawnmowers don't have good filters for that sort of thing. And maybe if I think of my body that way, even tho it is superior, in its way, to a lawnmower, it helps me to make more nutritious choices? Like picking an avocado (or half one or whatever) over a bag of doritos (which is usually what I'd choose if presented with both), because the avocado is premium...

I get what you're suggesting. It just doesn't work for me personally, and everything I've said or asked has referred to me personally.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    lprekan wrote: »
    Ultimately, I DO want to gain weight. However, I don't want to eat a bunch of trash to get there. Really, I don't want to eat a LOT extra at all, because I am rarely hungry after what I already eat. I know I'm going to have to add a little something somewhere, like a protein smoothie in the morning and some cheese or something. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem as I do, and how they incorporate extra calories into an already satisfying daily diet.

A food isn't "trash" just because it is calorie dense. There are plenty of foods that are higher in calories and also rich in nutrients, like the nuts or avocados that I mentioned above.

That said, even if a food didn't have much to offer other than calories it would still be a net benefit if it was helping you meet your weight goals. The only real reason to avoid calorie dense foods is if they're crowding out other things you need or making you overweight. It doesn't sound like either of those are a problem here, so there's no real reason to consider them "trash."

When I say trash, I just mean like chips and other snack foods...which I happen to like a little too much lol

You can laugh at people here if you want but describing the foods a lot of us eat as "trash" isn't super funny.

I am fairly certain I said I like to eat those foods (a lot), and only laugh at myself these days. It's the only safe thing a person can laugh at anymore

Yeah, but that doesn't make it trash. It makes it a food you can't be around. Lots of other people can.

In my opinion, no food is "trash" because there is *some* kind of nutrient in it. Even those chips you like so much. Loads of potassium, depending on the chip. :)

I've never had problems being under goal (except that one time I ended up in the emergency room before I could eat because I eat most of my food late at night) or feeling full but, like others said, eating more calorie dense food (fats mostly) will do the trick. More calories for less volume.
  • lprekan
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's help. I think I got it figured out now
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    So what if calling them that helps me not to eat them, and calling more nutritious foods premium fuel for my body? You avoid putting old gas in a lawnmower because of the trash that ends up in your gasoline container and lawnmowers don't have good filters for that sort of thing. And maybe if I think of my body that way, even tho it is superior, in its way, to a lawnmower, it helps me to make more nutritious choices? Like picking an avocado (or half one or whatever) over a bag of doritos (which is usually what I'd choose if presented with both), because the avocado is premium...

I get what you're suggesting. It just doesn't work for me personally, and everything I've said or asked has referred to me personally.

The thing is if you are not reaching your goals, then calling foods trash and avoiding them completely might not be doing you any favours. Not saying they have to make up the majority big your diet but I know for me I had issues gaining (so I was not reaching my goals) so I started adding foods that are easy to overdo when I am low on calories for the day. I can assure you my results have been nothing but "premium" if you want to put it that way. An avocado wouldn't have taken me to my goal.

But if what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I DO want to gain weight. However, I don't want to eat a bunch of trash to get there. Really, I don't want to eat a LOT extra at all, because I am rarely hungry after what I already eat. I know I'm going to have to add a little something somewhere, like a protein smoothie in the morning and some cheese or something. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem as I do, and how they incorporate extra calories into an already satisfying daily diet.

A food isn't "trash" just because it is calorie dense. There are plenty of foods that are higher in calories and also rich in nutrients, like the nuts or avocados that I mentioned above.

That said, even if a food didn't have much to offer other than calories it would still be a net benefit if it was helping you meet your weight goals. The only real reason to avoid calorie dense foods is if they're crowding out other things you need or making you overweight. It doesn't sound like either of those are a problem here, so there's no real reason to consider them "trash."

When I say trash, I just mean like chips and other snack foods...which I happen to like a little too much lol

I had some chips earlier today and I eat other snack foods as well. I do eat much less of them in a sitting than I once did but I enjoy them. They have nutrients and there is a mental benefit to enjoying what I eat which makes it all healthy. Eating chips in excess is the problem not the chips themselves.
  • lprekan
    edited April 2019
    Options

That's certainly your choice. But if you're going to publicly call the food that's literally in my hands while I was reading this thread literal "trash" then I'm likely to comment on it.

Coolio, I don't expect people not to comment, at all. That would make my life so much more stressful. And you are totally welcome to eat whatever you want to eat! 'Murica!!