Pooping

Options

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This is normal for a high protein/low carb diet if you are not eating enough of the right foods. I suggest a salad at least once a day and broccoli. If that does't "clear" things up, then you can also add Benefiber to your water. I wouldn't suggest the more harsh pills out there as they can be nasty on your system. Another piece of advice is to take fish oil. It will help things as well!

Good luck!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're not getting enough fiber.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    Are you holding it in when you get the urge? You should go when you do because you could be causing yourself to get constipated. My cousin used to do that because she hated going to the bathroom and she was always constipated.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, definitely not eating enough fiber. On a low carb diet, that's one of the plus' - the fiber negates the carbs. load up on fiber! Or if you have trouble fitting it in with food, get a fiber supplement you can add into your water. (water will also help you go)
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    More food & more excersise required
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    And your calories are so low......eating under 1000 calories. I think if you eat more you'll poop more. Good luck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Remember, you should be looking at NET carbs which is total carbs - fiber. Fiber doesn't count when you're counting carbs because it doesn't impact your blood sugar. So eat those high fiber veggies! Also be sure you're eating well over 1200 calories per day. You shouldn't be trying to eat both low calorie and low carb.

Here is also something that should help quite a bit. Flax meal is great because it is both low net carb and higher in fiber. I know a few people who eat one of these each morning for breakfast and swear it's what keeps them regular:

Basic Muffin in a Minute (MIM) recipe
    Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
    1 packet Splenda® packet (0.9 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
    1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Stir. Add the egg and the butter. Mix. Microwave 1 minute - 90 seconds. Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Notes:

Your MIM can be toasted once it's cooked and topped with cream cheese if you like.
    Be sure to use baking powder, not baking soda. Aluminum-free baking powder tastes better. Be sure the baking powder is fresh.
    Feel free to replace the cinnamon with other spices or add sugar-free syrup.
    Add a tablespoon of sour cream for a moister MIM.
    Change the shape of your MIM by making it in a bowl.
    Try replacing the cinnamon with 1/2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa (net carb count will be higher).
    Make a sandwich MIM by by adding parmesan cheese, garlic powder and some salt and omitting the cinnamon and Splenda®. Use a square-bottomed bowl, then slice and put in the toaster to use as bread for sandwiches and burgers.

There is an Atkins support group thread in these forums where some of us are sharing recipes like these, as well as other general tips. Feel free to join us.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are you holding it in when you get the urge? You should go when you do because you could be causing yourself to get constipated. My cousin used to do that because she hated going to the bathroom and she was always constipated.

Nope...not holding anything in, just haven't even felt the urge to poop this whole time! Still don't!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    No idea but doesn't sound right. I go 2-3 times a day!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for low-carb specifically but when I'm dieting I go about once every 2-3 days versus every day when I'm not.
    I've found this too and I eat plenty of fibre and veggies. Can be a bit windy at times, but even then a bit less than normal (probably because I'm taking in less carbonated drinks)

If I think back to when I was younger - and thinner - I didn't poop every day, but did go twice a day sometimes when I was eating for 4 :noway: :laugh:
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Came looking for this topic. Been counting calories for 3 weeks. Used to go a few times a day, now I'd say every other day. I eat a good mix of things. Not constipated or anything. Feel great!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    This has got to be the crappiest necro thread ever.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm not a daily pooper. I try to make sure I go 1-2 times/week. If I'm traveling, forget about it!
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said it, you need fiber. Veggies are your friend, it doesn’t take much to get your daily recommended intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options
    Folks, the thread is from 2011: If OP didn't go by now, s/he has expired from the malady. If you need advice, please start a new thread!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    well if anyone else needs help, Fiber 1 cereal is the answer!
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i eat an abundance of whole plants every day (doesnt mean just fruit and veg, its also raw overnight oats with blended almond butter milk, red lentil pasta in a huge bed of greens and cashew pesto, etc ..... feel amazing and dont have that problem since high carb= high fiber
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Try fiber. There’s different ways to get fiber! I personally drink mine!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options
    Folks, if we must have this conversation based on a 2011 thread <eye roll>: Fiber is not the whole answer. I've had severe and persistent constipation while eating plenty of fiber, in the past.

Other factors can apply: We also need sufficient hydration (that was my issue), adequate fats (a common problem here on MFP among folks calorie-restricting), possibly exercise (some type that moves the midsection, ideally) . . . and some people need to add probiotic foods like yogurt, kefir, miso, raw sauerkraut or kim chi, kombucha, etc. A few people have problem trigger foods.

It isn't always as simple as adding fiber.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fats and fiber!