Disappointed

Options
Good morning,

I'm trying to understand this. I've been following the calorie totals I'm alloted, doing more cardio than I have in what feels like a hundred years (I just always allowed time for weights because I'm doing this on my lunch) anyhow I started off at 163 wanting to loose 10-15 lbs I dropped down to 160 which I was very excited about but over the course of the week I've gone back up. Today I stepped on the scale to see 164lbs staring back at me. What gives? I've only just been doing this for a couple weeks now but I'll admit this doesn't really make me want to continue. Yesterday I was so hungry that my stomach hurt but I had calories left so I ate.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear

if you're female, are you due to get your period?
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight, could be hormonal, could be anything. Don’t let numbers define you.
    I try to stay around 9st-9st 5lbs.
    Recently I went up to 9st 11lbs, I was horrified, felt like just giving in but no I stayed strong and ate really well for a week, drank sooo much water and now I’m back down to 9st 2lbs so I figured it was just water weight.
    I’ve realised I don’t drink enough water so I’m trying to drink atleast 4-5litres a day cuz it does make me feel good and stops the cravings (to a point lol).

Please please please don’t give up, the first few weeks and even months can feel like forever but carry on doing what your doing.
    If your hungry then eat but watch what your eating, low calorie food doesn’t have to be boring, recipes online are a bonus.

Also try not to go on the scales too much, when I first started out trying to lose weight I didn’t weigh myself for the first 3-4months, now I’m in maintenance I weigh myself once a week, I don’t have scales in my house so I can only weigh myself when we visit my father-in-law so I don’t weigh myself first thing in the morning or naked but I’m not fussed.

How you feel mentally and physically is what matters not some bunch of stupid numbers, they should not define you and your happiness.
    Stay strong!! You can do this!!

P.s sorry for the long post 😁
  • cyasoon71
    cyasoon71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear

if you're female, are you due to get your period?

It could be hormonal being that I'm getting close to the menopause age. I'll be 48 this year. At least this is what the doctor is contributing my weight gain to. There is nothing else that could explain the gain.
  • cyasoon71
    Options
    twdlove89 wrote: »
    Could be water weight, could be hormonal, could be anything. Don’t let numbers define you.
    I try to stay around 9st-9st 5lbs.
    Recently I went up to 9st 11lbs, I was horrified, felt like just giving in but no I stayed strong and ate really well for a week, drank sooo much water and now I’m back down to 9st 2lbs so I figured it was just water weight.
    I’ve realised I don’t drink enough water so I’m trying to drink atleast 4-5litres a day cuz it does make me feel good and stops the cravings (to a point lol).

Please please please don’t give up, the first few weeks and even months can feel like forever but carry on doing what your doing.
    If your hungry then eat but watch what your eating, low calorie food doesn’t have to be boring, recipes online are a bonus.

Also try not to go on the scales too much, when I first started out trying to lose weight I didn’t weigh myself for the first 3-4months, now I’m in maintenance I weigh myself once a week, I don’t have scales in my house so I can only weigh myself when we visit my father-in-law so I don’t weigh myself first thing in the morning or naked but I’m not fussed.

How you feel mentally and physically is what matters not some bunch of stupid numbers, they should not define you and your happiness.
    Stay strong!! You can do this!!

P.s sorry for the long post 😁

Thank you for your message. I did step on the scale again today and wondered what on earth I was doing that for. lol. I was hoping it was wrong yesterday. ;) It wasn't but I will stay away from it and I will up my water intake.
  • cyasoon71
    Options

When I stepped on the scale I will admit that I didn't think of any of those things and some I simply just forgot to even consider. Thanks for the reminder.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Do you have an open food diary for message board people to peek at? If you haven't worked out like that in a long time, your muscles will be holding water for repairs. Are you putting your food on a food scale? When I was losing, I weighed my bananas (in grams), my peanut butter (sigh), my lunchmeat, etc.