Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Impossible Whopper: Your thoughts on plant-based burgers?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I wouldn't eat it. I have no reason to eat a replacement food when I can eat the real thing. IMO, replacement foods are not generally up to the same nutritional level as the real food.

I like the option of it for those vegetarians who enjoyed meat but gave it up for some other reason, and for those who cant eat fast food because they are halal.

I would stick to meat for a few reasons:

Gluten- as a celiac, it would not be safe, not that fast food is often safe.

Nutrition - meat is generally more nutritious than plant proteins.

Limiting seed PUFASs - I'd rather eat saturated fats that we've eaten safely (badically) forever.

Environmental reasons- fewer animals die for beef than monocrops; pastured animals improve the soil and water retention; grasslands help with carbon sinks.

Meat is cheaper - fake is less nutrition for more money.

I am all for offering it as an option though. It will work for some. As long as they dont force it on me with a meat tax or something, I say to each their own.

Nutrition: Speaking of the general when this thread is about a specific product isn't necessarily that useful. The Impossible Burger is specifically designed to be similar to beef nutritionally. For this specific product, is there a nutritional concern compared to a ground beef patty?

Keep in mind that the person choosing a Whopper made from an Impossible Burger is likely eating it instead of an equivalent fast food meal made with meat, so the nutritional differences should be considered in that context instead of compared to completely different meals.

Environmental: The typical fast food burger is made from cows being fed soy and corn. If monocrops are a concern, then eliminating beef makes more sense as it takes many pounds of feed to produce just a pound of beef. Eating the soy ourselves is the more rational choice for those with this environmental concern, as it reduces the overall demand. Comparing the environmental impact to a pastured animal makes sense only if the majority of fast food burgers are coming from pastured animals. Are they?

Nutritionally, if someone is eating fast food once in a while, it probably makes little to no difference what burger they chose because other foods will fill in for deficiencies. My point was just that they are probably not equal, and that meat us probably more complete. Not a big deal unless it is an everyday thing.

Most beef only spend a very short time on feedlots. The vast majority of their time is on a pasture, so no, they are not mono cropped. At least not in my country. And when they do go to a feedlot, they tend to get the waste crops that we cant or dont eat as well.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Here’s the full ingredient list for the new recipe:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12. Contains: Soy

Here’s the full ingredient list for the original recipe.

Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (Soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Soy Protein Isolate, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12. Contains: Soy, Wheat

Like I said in an earlier post: No Thanks!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan at home but I am much more flexible when eating away from home if I am unable to find a vegan option. While I don't miss the taste of meat at all, I do like the idea that this is an option for situations when I'm hungry and have limited time to seek a different option. My husband and I are going on a road trip next week so maybe we'll try one.

I have vegan friends who do miss the taste of meat and they live products like Beyond Burger and The Impossible. I think Burger King is wise to tap into this market.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    So, the primary objections seem to be along these lines:
    • Clean eaters/food purists: Not natural, list of scary ingredients
    • Sodium fears, soy fears, etc...
    • Carnivore/keto: a vegan beef substitute implies that their sacred cows are unnecessary

Did I miss anything?

Clearly the answer is that we should all ditch Burger King and meet at The Counter, where there is something for (almost) everyone who has posted on this thread: https://www.thecounter.com/menu/index.php

They do have gluten free options and vegan options, but they don’t yet have the gluten free vegan proteins. I’ll bring roasted chickpeas with a dash of cayenne and garlic so everyone has something to eat.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    • Carnivore/keto: a vegan beef substitute implies that their sacred cows are unnecessary

Did I miss anything?

Clearly the answer is that we should all ditch Burger King and meet at The Counter, where there is something for (almost) everyone who has posted on this thread: https://www.thecounter.com/menu/index.php

They do have gluten free options and vegan options, but they don’t yet have the gluten free vegan proteins. I’ll bring roasted chickpeas with a dash of cayenne and garlic so everyone has something to eat.

Dang, their menu looks amazing-road trip! :D
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Did I miss anything?

I WANT TO EAT ALL THE CALORIES
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Did I miss anything?

Dang, their menu looks amazing-road trip! :D

Can confirm their food is good, though the portion sizes and prices are exactly what you’d expect from looking at that menu and their list of locations. I’m going to try their impossible burger today, though I’ve been sick and lazy and thus don’t have enough calories available for the toppings I like, and I’ll only be able to gaze longingly at the shake menu.