Recipes: item qty and such

Options
BadBanditCA
BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
Hi!

Ok, so I want to add a meal to my profile. To do this, it seems like I have to add foods to My Food. Correct? I can’t just make a meal or recipe from the food database...
If I want to make a meal of 3 eggs, I can’t just add “1 Egg, Large” and then change the quantity (see pic)? Isn’t that weird? What if tomorrow I want a meal with only 2 eggs, or 4 eggs? Do I have to create a new food for each and every item variable?
I know I can change the Servings qty, but this seems like a kludge or workaround. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Ok, so I want to add a meal to my profile. To do this, it seems like I have to add foods to My Food. Correct? I can’t just make a meal or recipe from the food database...
    If I want to make a meal of 3 eggs, I can’t just add “1 Egg, Large” and then change the quantity (see pic)? Isn’t that weird? What if tomorrow I want a meal with only 2 eggs, or 4 eggs? Do I have to create a new food for each and every item variable?
    I know I can change the Servings qty, but this seems like a kludge or workaround. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Create the original meal with however many eggs you want by changing the serving size. Then, when you log it, all of the ingredients will transfer individually to your diary. If you want a different number of eggs tomorrow, then you can just adjust the egg entry in your diary. You won't have to change anything in your "meals" tab.
  • BadBanditCA
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ok, so I created a Recipe with 2 eggs and 2 sausage links. Then I created a Meal and added that recipe item.
    Next I went to add food to my diary. I select either the Recipe or Meal of this item and add it. But if I try to edit the qty, I can only change the global serving qty for the whole meal (see pic). I don’t seem to be able to adjust the egg qty to 3 while leaving sausages at 2. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When adding an item you can change the number of servings. In your example of the egg, the serving size will always be "1 egg", you just change the number of servings to whatever amount you eat. No need to make "meals" or "recipes" for eggs and sausage unless you just want to.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Ok, so I created a Recipe with 2 eggs and 2 sausage links. Then I created a Meal and added that recipe item.
    Next I went to add food to my diary. I select either the Recipe or Meal of this item and add it. But if I try to edit the qty, I can only change the global serving qty for the whole meal (see pic). I don’t seem to be able to adjust the egg qty to 3 while leaving sausages at 2. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Go ahead and add the meal to your diary. Then, through your diary, change just the egg setting.

As @rachelr1116 said above, you can also just log them separately in your diary and then they'll be under the recent tab when you want to add them again.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Don't create a new recipe. To create a meal, add each item to your meal of choice. For instance, if you want to create your typical breakfast, add egg, sausage, and toast for breakfast. Then go to quick tools > remember meal > give your meal a name. Then tomorrow, you can select that meal and then change the individual components, like 1 egg to 2 eggs without affecting the sausage number.
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    Don't create a new recipe. To create a meal, add each item to your meal of choice. For instance, if you want to create your typical breakfast, add egg, sausage, and toast for breakfast. Then go to quick tools > remember meal > give your meal a name. Then tomorrow, you can select that meal and then change the individual components, like 1 egg to 2 eggs without affecting the sausage number.

Ok, alright now... this is better! I don’t want to sound like a hater, but I wish I could add the meal and adjust qty all in one step. But this works!
    Thanks! 🙂
  • kami3006
    edited April 2019
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »

Ok, alright now... this is better! I don’t want to sound like a hater, but I wish I could add the meal and adjust qty all in one step. But this works!
    Thanks! 🙂

Glad you got it worked out. Many of the functions here are a bit cumbersome (looking at you recipe builder), but they're still pretty quick once you figure them out.
  • BadBanditCA
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Glad you got it worked out. Many of the functions here are a bit cumbersome (looking at you recipe builder), but they're still pretty quick once you figure them out.

Thanks again!
    (also looking at recipe builder...)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You shouldn't have created a recipe if you want to be able to adjust the individual ingredients every time you log it.

The simplest thing to do would be to log 2 eggs and 2 sausages for breakfast and save that meal. Then whenever you log the meal, after you log it, you can just edit the number of eggs and sausage links in the diary (leave the saved meal alone).
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You shouldn't have created a recipe if you want to be able to adjust the individual ingredients every time you log it.

The simplest thing to do would be to log 2 eggs and 2 sausages for breakfast and save that meal. Then whenever you log the meal, after you log it, you can just edit the number of eggs and sausage links in the diary (leave the saved meal alone).

This is why I don't use recipes at all, just meals :) Because every time I make something I change it a bit...